Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The latest and thankfully not the last of the Blood Angels series by James Swallow is my latest finished novel and it was quite a good book. Continuing the great stories of Rafen and his Blood Angels James Swallow has outdone himself with the latest entry, which has the Sons of Sanguinius chasing down the Arch-Traitor Fabius Bile to recover a stolen vial of Sanguinius's own vitae, and to kill the heretic who despoiled Baal with his presence.

The pace of the novel was very well set and I enjoyed the underwater combat which was a first for me and I thought that James Swallow did it very well. And the evolved Tyranids were quite interesting, showing that Tyranids can adapt beyond battle and how radically different they can become. I can't help but wonder just what those Tyranid Krakens were before they changed.

Fabius Bile was also quite a treat. Characters like Bile are rarely used, and they need to be used more often. Famous characters who's fame or infamy are known to all BL readers almost never appear in the novels, when they deserve much more. I hope that in the future we will see more of these famous characters like Khârn the Betrayer, Eldrad Ulthran and Fabius Bile.

High Point: For me I think the high point of the novel was Rafen and the captive Space Marines fighting their way through the fortress while Noxx and the Sons of Sanguinius do the same outside. Rafen's duel with the Bile replicaes was very good and I thought it was awesome when Rafen threw Bile into a liquid nitrogen tank, then as he climbed out Rafen slammed the Rod of Torment into Bile's chest, killing him with his own weapon.

The ending was also very ominous. The Lord of Change Malfallax whom's scheme to make the Blood Angels fall from grace with the Arkio Insurrection has returned and like all Daemons we know, wants a blood revenge. Whatever schemes he has now to make Rafen and all Blood Angels his slaves or dead cannot be imagined right now, but he is a Lord of Change. So their gonna be good plans.

Low Point: The only real low point for me was Ajir. In Red Fury the penitent sergeant Corvus sacrificed himself to save Ajir and I had hoped this would force Ajir to rethink his behaviour to Turcio, and at the end of the novel it appeared he might.. and in Black Tide his arrogant attitude has not changed a bit. If I were Corvus, I wouldn't have even bothered trying to save him.

So with Black Tide finished I am finally caught up with my favourite loyalists, the noble Blood Angels. I look forward to James Swallow's next novel with them, and I give Black Tide a 7.5/10.

http://www.thefoundingfields.com/

1 - 1 of 1 Posts