Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have stated before, I am a relatively new player, having played exclusively in 5th Ed. So, my question is about target priority and black templars. The BT Codex mentions it in passing about taking tests for target priority.

Since it is mentioned in the codex are Templar armies bound by target priority even though it has been eliminated in 5th? I have seen people say both, but nobody really gives a reason why they would or would not other than citing fluff. Can someone give me an answer that ignores fluff? I'm curious how rules mentioned in older codex's work if the rule no longer exists.

P.S. Can someone also explain what target priority even was/is?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Target Priority basically said that a unit had to attack the nearest visible enemy unit unless a Leadership test was passed.

In the case of the Black Templars, that requirement is still explicitly listed in the special rules section of the 'dex, although I forget what it's called at the moment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the special rules states under "kill them all" (pg 23 BT Codex) that "If a Black Templars infantry, jump infantry, or bike unit shoots in the Shooting phase, it suffers a -1 modifier to its leadership when testing to see if it can target any enemy unit other than the closest."

This rule states WHEN they test, not that they DO test. So, since you dont test to see any units in 5th (other than night fighting) doesnt that mean that Templars dont follow target priority because no where in the BT codex does it say that Templars have to target the closest unit or test?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well the special rules states under "kill them all" (pg 23 BT Codex) that "If a Black Templars infantry, jump infantry, or bike unit shoots in the Shooting phase, it suffers a -1 modifier to its leadership when testing to see if it can target any enemy unit other than the closest."

This rule states WHEN they test, not that they DO test. So, since you dont test to see any units in 5th (other than night fighting) doesnt that mean that Templars dont follow target priority because no where in the BT codex does it say that Templars have to target the closest unit or test?
answered your own question, you dont need to take a target priority test any more for any reason therefore this rule is null and void

Tau have some things like this with marker lights allowing you to use them to ignore target priority, but that rule is now void so cannot be used unless you wanna waste a markerlight point

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, yeah I'm still trying to figure out how to reconcile old rules and such, and as I typed it out it kind of felt like I might be answering my own question. I just wanted to make sure my rule-logic wasnt screwed up.

·
Registered
496 Posts
well if it doesnt exsist how can you follow it :3

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't people read FAQS anymore?

"Q. Does the ‘Kill them All!’ rule mean that I have
to test not to fire at the closest enemy?

A. Yes, that rule still works perfectly as written,
meaning that Black Templar infantry, jump
infantry and bikes must test (with a -1 Ld
modifier!) in order not to shoot at the closest
target."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts