Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im fooling around with ideas for my third army, im aimng for it to be space marine this is my idea for a Black templar army, on the other hand im also dabbling in a ravenwing army or a vanilla army taking the chapter upgrade that allows apothecaries in tactical squads and taking alot of them.

HQ
Marshall Commander
Lightning Claws
Holy orb of atnioch

Emperors Champion
Abhor the Witch

Chaplin
Holy Orb of antioch

Command Squad 5 Initiates
2 Las Cannon
Apothecary

Elites
10Sword bretheren
Each with crusader seal
Each has infiltrate
Power weapon 1
Power Fist

10Sword bretheren
Each with crusader seal
Each has Furious Charge
Power weapon
Power Fist
(Land raider Crusader Attached with 3 HQ character choices)

Troops
9 Initiates
Las Cannon
Plasma Gun

9 Initiates
Las Cannon
Plasma Gun

8 Initiates
Las Cannon
Plasma Gun

Fast attack
8 initiates
2 Plasma Pistols
1 Power Weapon
Melta bombs

8 initiates
2 Plasma Pistols
1 Power Weapon
Melta Bombs

·
Registered
93 Posts
get some neophytes!!!!!!!!!!!! i promise its better

o depending on the size of the table this army is really suceptible to getting chewed to pieces squad by squadunless that cruasader can really attract hits

·
Registered
10 Posts
Neophytes are a good idea... also the Powerfists are not going to be great in 5th so consider lightning claws.

if you can, I've always found a Vindicator or some Assault Terminators very helpful... Assault Termies in a LRC are like a chainsword through butter... unstoppable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
10 assault initiates with a chaplain with a jump pack overkill yes ,but the look of panic on opponents face priceless.O and lots of storm shields

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
thing is you have a command squad with two lascannons but all your HQ are CC based. You cannont detach the character from the command squad so you've a problem there.

apart from that I like it....

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't think you're ever going to get a good chance to really use all those LasCannons; You really want the regular troops assaulting, or moving to assault; neither of which really optimize the use of heavy weapons. The only ones that look sota ok are in the command squad; but you need to throw your Chaplin in a troop/assault squad (jetpack needed) and your commander would be wasting power claws if he was standing around letting 2 lascannons do all the work. Really, you should drop all 5, find 30 more points somewhere and get yourself a Pred. Annihilator.

I'm also not liking the Sword Bretheren. The regular ones are regular space marines with an ability unless you start shelling out for THonours, and that is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. I think you'd be better off dropping one (if not both; I think Infiltrate COULD be handy) as well as the command squad and getting yourself another transport of the crusader variety and 10 neophytes to throw into some Crusader Squads. That gives you 2 x 15 man troops bombin' around in 2 very large and scary tanks w/ room for HQ in either/both.

Oh ya; no matter what advice you take away, PLEASE TAKE THIS ONE:
unless your facing bunches of opponents with waaaayy tooo many librarians/farseers, pay out the 15-30 pts more for a vow that will be proactive instead of reactive. Accept any Challenge or Suffer not is going to help your squads alot more than Abhor the which ever could; remember, it goes to EVERYONE in your army, which is why every marine is worth a pt more than normal ones. 15 dudes with proffered enemy or +1 strength poring out of a LRC is a much better feeling than going, "wow, you psychic skills MIGHT not do something THIS time..."

·
Registered
28 Posts
agree with Saint7515 but for a better feeling got to be 7 assault terminators with a chaplain in termi armour jumping out of a LRC you re-roll everything ,not for GT but will make a fun game

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
remember guys, in 5th Neophytes arent so great, because if you allocate the wounds to them, then you take THEIR save, even if your initiates are the majority. However they are great cannon fodder, useful for keeping the handy initiates alive.

·
Registered
361 Posts
true true!

But also remeber, in 5th, with everyone having "counter-attack," no more consolidation into combat, AND preffered enemy beoming re-rolls instead of 3+ to hit, having more attack rolls to begin with is the best scinario, since it gives you total controll of what will happen; It simply garontees that they should break on your charge, and it gives you dudes that you might not care about dying if and when then enemy breaks and your squad gets shot up.

PLUS in 5th only troops are scoring units, so it'd be much better to have pimped out, mobile squads, WITH a tank that can:1) rapid fire and 2) screen anything shooty rather than min/maxing for termies and jump infanty; not that templars can min/max very succefully, but still...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts