Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've all heard that GW has confirmed Templars are indeed getting their own codex in the future. And while there are rumors that they'll be coming out in December, those are really not all that likely. But here are some new rumors that might be:

via a good anonymous source on Faeit 212
In so far as Black Templar: They are getting a full book not a supplement. The direction of the book is on "crusades," and differentiating the Black Templar when they persecute Xenos as opposed to when they put the Witch to the sword.

They are seeing a lot of changes from their previous incarnation, and are no longer a shooting army (despite the intention of the previous book, they were received as a shooting army).

The army will have a "knights in space" kind of feel with wargear being a very big importance for the characters, and vows similar to old bretonians. The struggle there is with book keeping, but it is a pretty cool concept.

Crusade squads with their hybrid neophyte and space marine combinations are gone. Which will probably anger a lot of people without pleasing any (since in the past you could just take 0 neophytes so in essence this is just removing choices), but take it for what it's worth.

The whole "move after taking casualties" thing is gone and has been replaced with something more similar to battle trance (but less swift, and more assault oriented).

Templar point costs are down even from those of dark angels, and are designed to be balanced by their point cost, but also deliver the feeling that this is a "crusade army" that has never really felt the yoke of the codex astartes, and thus has huge companies of marines.

·
Registered
480 Posts
So.....update an army by taking away its defining qualities?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Some of us never stopped punching lol. Wtf is battle trance?

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
I imagine its a bit like the black rage. But with an off switch.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Looks like its an Eldar thing, for running and shooting. I much rather take Zeal.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Sounds like they're becoming more of a unique entity with these changes rather then being 'just another flavour of marines' which is how most people saw them previously.

·
Registered
480 Posts
That is what people thought, but played properly they have a very different feel than vanilla. I played vanilla before I stripped my models and went BT. I almost always run a Black Tide (though Ive been toying with Raider spam lately). BT already feels like Knights in Space. Go watch Kingdom of Heaven. The crusades were a fuckton of dudes just running at each other. Thats what Zeal feels like. Ive had opponents not even bother shooting the Tide because they know it will get there faster. Then it hits like a freight train, the EC calls out his challenge and turns some jackoff into red mist. Thats why myself and my fellow crusaders play BT, and Im sure none of us want to lose that feel.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is what people thought, but played properly they have a very different feel than vanilla. I played vanilla before I stripped my models and went BT. I almost always run a Black Tide (though Ive been toying with Raider spam lately). BT already feels like Knights in Space. Go watch Kingdom of Heaven. The crusades were a fuckton of dudes just running at each other. Thats what Zeal feels like. Ive had opponents not even bother shooting the Tide because they know it will get there faster. Then it hits like a freight train, the EC calls out his challenge and turns some jackoff into red mist. Thats why myself and my fellow crusaders play BT, and Im sure none of us want to lose that feel.
Don't forget that these are rumors and may not represent the final version of the codex. Furthermore, I'd withhold judgement on the new BT and if they have the right feel or not until you can get them on the table.

Just because the rules may change it doesn't mean that BT won't be BT anymore.

Also the recommendations I've seen for modern BT plays them very shooty and no Black Tides or Bolt Pistol/Chainswords which is the wrong feel for them I think. So any change that gets us away from that meta is good at this point.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I imagine its a bit like the black rage. But with an off switch.
basically a grey whinge

Just because the rules may change it doesn't mean that BT won't be BT anymore.
remember all the necron rule set rumours, there is still plenty of time if it isn't a rumour and that is exactly what it is so far, a rumour.
getting frustrated about rumours is really not worth the hassle, a bit like sheep really:wink:

·
Registered
480 Posts
They are decent shooters. Tank Hunting Termis on a Quad Gun (or a TDA Command Squad with TDA Marshal for that matter, BS5 screwing fliers), double heavy weapons, and decent loadouts for standard squads. But yeah, not fun. I run the CMLx2 Termis on the Quad but still run Black Tide and armor.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I think the "battle trance" was suppossed to be "battle focus," what Eldar have. So Templars will get something similar. Maybe old Fleet rules where they can run and still assault but not shoot. And if they are moving away from letting them have very much shooting, that makes sense. As does them being cheaper. Why would you pay the same for a Marine who can't shoot? I'm going to keep my eyes on their rumors for a while. I've always like Crusade Fleet Marines.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would have been satisfied with a supplement (in concept, although $100 for a pair of rule books to update my army would not have gone into the "cool" column) but if it's true that we are getting a full fledged Codex then I'm even happier. Anything would be better than getting rolled.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts