Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
So I got response from guys on our local forum and they think letters look funny to the rest of the model. So I need to change this somehow. Any ideas ??
If you have a local general hobby store in your area (like Hobby Lobby for example) or a scrapbooking hobby store you should be able to find small letters used for stamping, embossing, or press printing. You can then lay down a layer of GS and press your words into it.

Something like this should work...although you will have to find small letters (not sure on the size of the letters in that link).

*Edit* - another option could be to search old thrift or second hand stores for an actual ribbon print typewriter. The stamps from one should be about the right size.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Back in time - Part 1. Rhino

Hey. I am going to take you back in time today. Take it as an extra bonus about things before Black Lions. Yes, there was someone before. It was another chapter. Same colours, same fluff but their name was Death Angels with winged skull symbol. It was few months before I finally decided course of my chapter.

One of the models I am working on right now, along the dread, is Rhino. So, how did it look before.

I must be handicapped cause I have to convert everything. I just can't simply glue model and paint it. I have cut everything before. Look at the poor Rhino below. I didn't like that both hatches are next to each other. So I played with it a bit.

And now my own creation. Extra armour by using sprues! So simple but so awesome. I love it even after years.

And here it is painted. By hand! No black primer used. (Check Razor Blade made out of sprues!) But as I said I am re-making it by adding lion stuff and some other bits -> make it more awesome.

Thank you for reading. If you like it I have more "back in time" stories like that. So maybe in near future again.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
For the dread letters I would use simple free hand or have you checked out using from brass etched letters from somewhere?

With your GS are you just rolling it out and letting it dry before cutting it to require width? It looks really good!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes, Jac. From time to time I take GS and roll it out. It then serves as plastic card, but it is much more softer and more flexible. It is good for greave plates or any other extra armor.
But lion head for banner was done differently. I needed it as thin as possible, so flag is not thick. I cut head, eyes, nose, everything from paper and then used Instant mold. Paper is thin but it still left some texture in mold. Then I used GS and cut it out. Pretty simple.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Ha that's a really clever way of doing it! +rep.

What do you rollout the GS onto, just some plastic or tin? How do you stop it from sticking?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks. I roll it out on my working plastic plate. And actually I don't prevent it from sticking to it. I take advantage of it! When it sticks to surface I roll it out with fingers wider and wider. Then I push some plastic card on top to make surface smoother. When it dries I simply take knife and remove it. It is usually 0,5-1mm thick

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Rhino - Conversion done

My today's work was Rhino from previous post. Major change is HB turret (should serve as extra SB for rhino). I wanted to do scratch build but it didn't go well.

Another change, apart from extra bits, are lights. I noticed it on new SM vehicles and it looks awesome. Thanks GW.

Lion symbol specially designed for vehicles

Reinforced turret. I saw it on the net and borrowed idea :p Anyway I am going to do some nice freehand on it.

·
Closet Dictator
3,421 Posts
Fucking awesome all around, great g.s work, you're on my envy list, +rep of course, have you got the astral claws terminator shoulder pads, the lion head pad is great, I bought two sets just to get those heads

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Fucking awesome all around, great g.s work, you're on my envy list, +rep of course, have you got the astral claws terminator shoulder pads, the lion head pad is great, I bought two sets just to get those heads
Thanks. I appreciate your support. And yes I know about that AC lion pad and certainly gonna buy it at some point. But Scibor is one with lion pads to look for. He has widest range of lion themed pads and miniatures. I use them a lot on Termies and Vets.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Venerable brother Númestar

Hi guys. As promised here is my Venerable Dreadnought Númestar. Enjoy

"Númestar is great hero of Black Lions chapter. Recruited from Eryndor's knight caste and born as noble. He was promoted to Captain of 3rd Company when previous Captain was slain in Night Lords ambush. Lately he was heavily wounded during Malathan Crusade on Antares II when fighting chaos warbands. Hopefully, his body was recovered and put to honourable machine. He now serves as 3rd Company Dreadnought"

I was thinking what to use for banner top and as I plan to do at least 2 more dreads (chaplain, librarian) I decided each will have his own rank symbol. Librarian-book, chaplain-skull and finally captain-iron halo :)
Anyway this is my last post as I am going on holiday for 2 weeks tomorrow. But when I come back (20.9) my new SM models will be waiting for me so I get to work immediately. Cheers :victory:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Really nice conversion work going on in here! I also really like your green stuff "printing press". Might have to borrow that idea :grin:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi guys I am back ! :)
Successfully overcame all challenges of Thassos island and ready to get back to hobby. And with me my long awaited reinforcements arrived, too.
20 marines were promoted to veteran status. And I also managed to get old box of Vanguard with MK2 Veterans (best SM models IMO) and plan to kitbash old and new boxes together to make them more variable.

But my very first work will be conversion of one of the Centurions using this artwork. So stay tuned and expect new images in a few days.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Centurion

So here's very raw pose conversion. What do you think ? I'll maybe play with legs and torso but I think it is quite alright. I don't like ammo cases on HB and wanna replace it with belts. I know about Zinge Industries which sells flexible ammo belts but few week ago they removed some and there are only some sets left with belts too big for my need. So if you know about any shop which sells these please let me know :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Though I bloody hate those minis you are doing a good job on replicating that artwork. Belts would make more sense as he'd run out of ammo fast but it does deviate from the art work a bit. Not sure on where you could get some though sorry.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Nice work on the centurion. I'm not a big fan of the models, mostly due to the limited poses, so your conversion has given me some food for thought.

I think dragon forge and anvil industry both do Ammo belts, and chapter house do these for Heavy Bolters which are really nice:

http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=85_113&product_id=255
Centurion legs are really easy to convert, even easier than normal marine. You clearly see leg behind plate which hide any conversion you did to it

Though I bloody hate those minis you are doing a good job on replicating that artwork. Belts would make more sense as he'd run out of ammo fast but it does deviate from the art work a bit. Not sure on where you could get some though sorry.
I bloody love those minis :biggrin: they have big potential for conversions and I can't be the only one who think of Tactical Dreadnought armour look.
Anyway I follow only pose in artwork, which is badass, not details like mentioned ammo cases.

One more thing. When pics of Centurions showed up I didn't like their dreadnought feet at all. I thought about cutting off side thumbs to thin foot and make it look more like Contemptor feet. But now I am not so sure. Now I think if you make more dynamic pose It looks better even with those feet.

21 - 40 of 112 Posts