Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
So we have the following for HH:

yet another bloody limited to attending some event, overpriced, novella.

A Salamaderers, fire bla bla bla fire, furnace, bla bla bla, novel by Nick Kyme. 100 percent chance it will not be awesome.

And an audio set.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
And the best part of all;

Black Librarium said:
Sword of Calth won't be written after Crimson King, replaced by... Battle for Macragge, a new SMB book. #W40K #BLWeekender
Finally. The Battle of Macragge, this book can't come soon enough.

LotN

·
Registered
31 Posts
This were posted on FB so you can check out more closely what it will be about. It's most probably Shattered Legions Vs. Faceless Alpha Legion.

This should be included in the Legacies of Betrayal instead of BotS. Well at least it gives more depth to the title.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
Oh, hey, it's Sharrowkyn - I'm so glad he is making a reappearance. You really can't have too much of an individual who doesn't bring anything to the table in terms of development or depth, but simply happens to be the best at combat and stealth.

My overall thoughts:

I can't adequately express how much I loathe names like "DEATHFIRE".

So much of the old lore has been left by the wayside in the name of common sense, taste, better ideas, etc. Why the practice of throwing nouns together to come up with "intimidating" names hasn't been done away with (and the products of said practice with it) is beyond me.

That having been said...

1. More Lion El'Jonson* by Abnett? Yes please.

2. Alpha Legion versus Shattered Legions? It could be interesting, but it's tough for me to imagine a scenario wherein a Coalition of Legionaries Who Don't Like Each OtherTM are able to compete with a cohesive legion whose calling card is teamwork. But wait, what am I thinking? SHARROWKYN.

3. Angels of Caliban... All I can say is that Gav Thorpe hit most of the right notes with Master of Sanctity, but the audio dramas he's done for the Caliban plot thus far have not impressed me.

4. I'd much rather read The Crimson King instead of Battle for Macragge.

5. Based on what little information I've seen (a prequel to Battle of the Fang, which purports to explain why the Space Wolves were so read to go after Magnus) Hunt for Magnus is not going to be my cup of tea. I like Wraight's work, but I'd much rather see him tackle something other than Space Wolves.

6. I'm not that jazzed about Sanguinor.

7. As you may have guessed already, I'm not that jazzed about titles that include terms/titles/names like "DEATHSTORM".

* I'll commit Dark Angels Heresy with a capital "h" by calling for that surname to be erased by the annals of Warhammer 40k, as well. No one but an increasingly shrinking pool of people give a shit about a tenuous connection to a failed poet, but everyone today registers how uncomfortably bad it is to try to pass off "El'Jonson" as "Son Of the Forest In A Future Language."

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Humm, the main mountain on Nocturne that features heavilly in the Salamanders mythology is called Mount Deathfire.

One of the largest volcanic mountains on Nocturne is named Mount Deathfire. This is where the largest of the massive fire-resistant reptiles called salamanders who are common on Nocturne live, and they are known as the Firedrakes. They are huge, fire-breathing beasts, and one was killed each by the Emperor of Mankind and the Primarch Vulkan during the legendary contests held between the two ten millennia ago when the Emperor rediscovered his son.

And I vaguely recall something about the sallies burning their dead there, returning them to the mountain. Even their wargear got cooked.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
I know where DEATHFIRE comes from. :wink:

I'm just saying it's an awful name, and that Black Library (Games Workshop in general, really) should be better at naming things.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
A space marine battle's novel by Ben Counter will be released early next year,its about the WORLD-ENGINE 😃

If you are playing around with us I will reach through the computer with the power of NerdRage and kill you. If your not playing around with us I will be forever grateful for some of the best news since we found out ADB decided to write a Black Legion seies.

A source would be appreciated.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Ben counter talked about it in the space marine battle's seminar!
Awesome!!! The World Engine has deserved a novel for years now, and it's about damn time. Counter's Chaos is always brilliant, I can't wait to see what his take on the Necrons (5-7th Edition) is like. :grin:

Thanks for sharing March of Time.

LotN

·
Registered
279 Posts
it seems to me the event was pretty uneventful...not to many exciting announcements at all. We got what, one HH title confirmed?

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I know where DEATHFIRE comes from. :wink:

I'm just saying it's an awful name, and that Black Library (Games Workshop in general, really) should be better at naming things.
But....fire and burning and flames! They're Salamanders, hammers, anvils, people and shit. If you haven't got Flame Commander Fireson, leading Inferno Squad as part of Clan Blacksmith to bring the anvil to the heretics with righteous flame.....then you don't know how to write Salamanders.

After all, don't you know they like fire?

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
Fair points!

You know, if I were an eccentric rich person, I'd commission a huge Salamanders army. I'd give them all ridiculous names, like Captain Anvilhammer, or Librarian Forgesweat*, and then I'd take them to major Games Workshop events. I'd make a point of announcing their names very loudly and deliberately. I'd try to make it as uncomfortable as possible for everyone around me, for the sake of increasing awareness.

I have this nagging fear, though: perhaps this would simply push them to even more ludicrous naming conventions?

* Or I might skip that trope altogether and simply name then "Noun-Noun", or "Noun-Adjective" or something. Maybe that would be an even more blunt way of getting my message across?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Are the Salamanders normally associated with fire? Seems a bit out there.
But....fire and burning and flames! They're Salamanders, hammers, anvils, people and shit. If you haven't got Flame Commander Fireson, leading Inferno Squad as part of Clan Blacksmith to bring the anvil to the heretics with righteous flame.....then you don't know how to write Salamanders.

After all, don't you know they like fire?
Brilliant

Love that snark, hate that Kyme

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

Here my full summary of the Weekender:

https://twitter.com/blacklibrarium/status/532232972951650305

(too long to paste here)

You can click on the US/UK flag to translate into english.

Thanks everyone for the support on Twitter and here, I hope you enjoyed the Live, my pics and the news.

:)

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Thanks to Death Nikorps for the info, I compiled this release list from it;

Horus Heresy
Deathfire by Nick Kyme (Salamanders) (Early 2015)
The Eagles Talon/Iron Corpses by David Annandale and John French (April 2015)
Raptor by Gav Thorpe (Raven Guard) (June 2015)
Angels of Caliban by Gav Thorpe (Dark Angels) (TBD)
Dreadwing by Dan Abnett (Dark Angels/Imperium Secundus) (Early 2016)
The Crimson King by Graham McNeill (April 2015)
The Herald of Sanguinius by Andy Smillie (Blood Angels/Imperium Secundus) (Audio) (Christmas 2015/2016??)
An Imperium Secundus Anthology including a story about the Night Lords of Death and Guy Haley in Defiance, one on what the Ultramarines and on Sanguinius and the Blood Angels (Smillie?).
Cybernetica by Rob Sanders (LE Novella) (Delayed)
Alpha Legion Short Stories by Chris Wraight
Second White Scars novel by Chris Wraight (2016?)
Master of Mankind by Aaron Dembski-Bowden (Cancelled) (NNNNOOOO!!!)
The Fall of the Death Guard is not part of the Arc Imperium Secundus.

Ahriman: Unchanged by John French (Late 2015)
The Battle for Macragge by Graham McNeill (SMB)
The World Engine by Ben Counter (Early 2015)
The Hunt for Magnus by Chris Wraight (1st Edition Novella) (SMB)
Shield of Baal: Deathstorm by Josh Reynolds (Soon)
Black Templars Series by Guy Haley (Trilogy or Long-running, unknown)
The Hand of Asurmen (Mid 2015)

Warhammer
The End Times 3 by Gav Thorpe (Elves)
The End Times 4 by Guy Haley (Orcs and Goblins/Dwarves)
Slayer by David Guymer (End Times)
Malus Darkblade: Deathblade (End Times)

LotN

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Wait, MoM got cancelled? Say it ain't so!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts