Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed for a while that people tend not to take BL novels very seriously in terms of fluff. I was just wondering why this is, and what the official source of fluff would be?

GW doesn't seem to publish much in terms of fluff. This would be a great way to generate some seriously good fluff for all the armies.

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
I've noticed for a while that people tend not to take BL novels very seriously in terms of fluff. I was just wondering why this is....
My thought is that novels are written about special events happening to special people so will frequently be exceptions to the normal course of events, whereas fluff from a gaming perspective is focused on what is normal for a particular race.

That being said, I personally feel novels are a good starting point for expanding the fluff that you get from rule books.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i take the novels as gospel and think that what is written in them is sanctioned by GW so has to be correct. i know sometimes maybe lesser writers arent fully up to date with their fluff and can get things mixed up but on a whole everything seems good.

there is always the interpretation factor to take into account as each individual reader might have different ideas on what certain things can mean but then that seems like a good thing to me as we arent all mindless drones so each to their own.

just a example: horus's vision of the primarch scattering as written in 'false gods' i believe. the emperor seems to let the primarchs be scattered when he could have stopped them. the small bit of dialogue between him and horus seems to indicate that the emperor gave it abit of thought and then let it happen. now for some it will be the real events of what happened and to some it will be just a twisted lie that chaos created to help turn horus. seeing as that exact point of history seemed to make horus believe all erebus was saying it can be taken as a chaos lie but then maybe if it was really what the emperor did then it opens up a whole new can of worms (and fluff) and indicates the emperor has a scheme of his own.

point being the novels are a perspective so it just depends on how you look at them but in my eyes whichever way you look at it, the actual events of a novel really happened so any major plot twists that effect the general fluff should be taken as gospel because GW wouldnt let a major event take place in a novel without there say so as it effects canon directly and they dont like to mess with things unless they want to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts