Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 600 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hmm the Black Legion have never really interested me (Abaddon too except his cameo in the first ADB NL book) because they've been depicted as your generic bad guy legion. A Chaos version of the Ultramarines.

Maybe (most likely) ADB can change that.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Hmm the Black Legion have never really interested me (Abaddon too except his cameo in the first ADB NL book) because they've been depicted as your generic bad guy legion. A Chaos version of the Ultramarines.
ADB does actually address that in the comments.

ADB said:
It’s hard to reply without saying too much, but where the Ultramarines are “generic” Space Marines (as much as I love them, that’s not an insult – they are 95% of the template for the concept itself, which in turn is one of the things I love most about their implementation), the Black Legion aren’t the generic template for the Chaos Marines. They’re not the “default” Chaos Marines in the same way. Instead, they’re everything about Chaos. The best and worst of it; the best and worst of every single Legion. You can point to an Ultramarine and say “That’s a Space Marine”. You can’t do that with a Black Legionnaire, and say “That’s a Chaos Marine”. Uh, is he a former Son of Horus? A Word Bearer exploring his faith in a new way? A Renegade newly sworn to the Black? A Thousand Son sorcerer? A guy who forgot his original Legion completely? A Khorne Berzerker? There’s no “generic” Black Legionnaire. Former Sons of Horus are as defined and unique as any other Marine in the Legion.

The Black Legion: united in hate.
I share the sentiments here. More CSM is always a great thing, by ADB it's an even greater thing. But a CSM series by ADB that has the potential to become a long-running series, ala Gaunt's Ghosts?? Now that is the best news i've heard since The Creative Assembly's Warhammer RTS game.

LotN

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'd like to see the Astartes strength of the BL explained in detailed. If you take the Word Bearer trilogy at face value, the BL could have a couple million Astartes itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am most interested in what Abaddon's personalty in the Black Legion Series will be. And if any of the Daemon Primarchs or other well know chaos champions like Erebus,Lucius,Khârn,Ahriman,Lufgt Huron,Kor Phaeron and others will appear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am most interested in what Abaddon's personalty in the Black Legion Series will be. And if any of the Daemon Primarchs or other well know chaos champions like Erebus,Lucius,Khârn,Ahriman,Lufgt Huron,Kor Phaeron and others will appear.
Well, the lore says the Emperor's Children steal Horus' body and try to clone him. I assume that means we'll most likely see Lucius for sure. And cloning Horus? That seems to have Fabius all over it.

But really, there isn't much set lore during the period right after the HH. All we know is the BL courted each of the Chaos gods in turn and the other chaos legions attacked them. ADB is free to write anything he wants. Be interesting to see if any of the traitor primarchs/daemon primarchs show up. And dare ADB clear up what happened to Russ/Corax who were both said to have disappeared into the Eye? Highly doubtful...but fun to think about.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
It appears the main character of the series will be a former Thousand Sons-Astartes, turning Black Legion! :)
Yep, here's what we know about him so far.

ADB said:
The main character, at Abaddon's right hand and who will become one of the Black Legion's founders, is Iskandar Khayon - a Thousand Son, though he has many, many, many titles by 999.M41, and hardly anyone knows his real name by then. He was in the Thousand Sons' inner circle of command, and unsuccessfully tried to stop the Rubric.
He definitely sounds interesting.

LotN

·
Registered
108 Posts
Brand new character? I can't remember him from Prospero Burns or a Thousand Sons...But it's been awhile since I've read those.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oh, this definitely seems interesting, I'm sure it will be great:eek:k:!

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Brand new character? I can't remember him from Prospero Burns or a Thousand Sons...But it's been awhile since I've read those.
He's not in the Heresy series, and according to ADB he probably won't be.

LotN

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
He's not in the Heresy series, and according to ADB he probably won't be.

LotN
Good. I don't half hate it when authors (McNeill) constantly regurgitate characters.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i for one cant wait for this, its about time the Black Legion got its shot, maybe some old faces will appeear like Widowmaker cause he was one of my favs from the lunar Wolves/SOH

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
i for one cant wait for this, its about time the Black Legion got its shot, maybe some old faces will appeear like Widowmaker cause he was one of my favs from the lunar Wolves/SOH
Well ADB did confirm that Falkus Kibre survived the Heresy in Soul Hunter, he was still leading Abaddon's Terminator elite. If I had to guess i'd say he'll likely be in the Black Legion series.

LotN

·
Registered
929 Posts
I hope each edition gets a first run hardcover like Pariah, Priests of Mars etc. I really like the non-dust jacket hardcovers BL produce. Even better if i can get them from BookDepos.

I'm pretty sure the Gaunts Ghosts series started out this way.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Yep, here's what we know about him so far.

He definitely sounds interesting.

LotN
If he didn't support the Rubric and hated the results it gives a pretty good reason to abbadon his own Legion! :) Man I am SO excited!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am pretty excited for this series. Even more so if it becomes a long running series. It looks like ADB can take things pretty much anywhere he wants to (and over a 10,000 year period, that can be pretty far). Now the wait for The Talon of Horus. This may be the first series I buy everything in hardcover.

1 - 20 of 600 Posts