Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
After the "success" of my previous tutorial, I thought I'd make another one, on Black armour, and a simple and effective way to get it done. My "willing" test subject is my Contemptors CCW, So let's begin!

Note: This is for a cold black armour, for a hot black (Legion of the damned Style) replace the blue colour with a VERY dark red and a burnt orange for the over highlight (Un-tested)

1. Paint it black. You expected something else?

2. Drybrush it with COAL BLACK paint from P3. Cover everything.

3. Drybrush (Again) with Cryx Bane Highlight, also from P3. Again, Cover Everything.

4. Wash with Badab Black (Or Nuln Oil. Same thing)

And you're done! Here's the finished claw on my (nearly) finished Contemptor, and a marine I did in the armour for my upcoming plog. Hope you enjoyed the tutorial! Leth AWAY!

·
Innovative Forge-Lord
2,579 Posts
Thanks for the tute Leth. If people just want to use GW paints all the way what would be the closest colour for the Cryx Bane highlight and the Coal Black?

Can you get some clearer photos' of the finished models...the Marine is a bit blurry and the claw is picking up artificial light that is distorting the colour so it's a little difficult to see the finished effect.

Cy

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tute Leth. If people just want to use GW paints all the way what would be the closest colour for the Cryx Bane highlight and the Coal Black?

Can you get some clearer photos' of the finished models...the Marine is a bit blurry and the claw is picking up artificial light that is distorting the colour so it's a little difficult to see the finished effect.

Cy
Right, Well I'm not too well versed in GW colours but a dark teal colour such as Dark Reaper should do fine for the coal black, and for the Cryx Bane highlight I'd use Administratum Grey for the chalky overtone.

As for the pictures, The DCCW has been OSL'd up a lot and a lot of the effect is lost, but the I did get another picture of the marine, I hope this helps.

If anymore pictures are needed, contact me again and I'll apply the technique to a fresh marine so you can see the armour on it's own.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Not a bad tutorial! Black is one of the "bitch colours" that makes many of us cry.
About the white rim on the shoulderpads: they could use another layer of paint or a grey base before applying the white layer ;-) (black is still a bitch)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a bad tutorial! Black is one of the "bitch colours" that makes many of us cry.
About the white rim on the shoulderpads: they could use another layer of paint or a grey base before applying the white layer ;-) (black is still a bitch)
Shh... That's not in the tutorial :) Thanks though :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts