1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Kids mocking other kids because of their names? Not new and won't go away. The article's angle about making it about "race" was more sensationalist than factual to the case. A kid is just as likely to get mocked for being named Dick as Tercell or Chastity as Keisha.

Talk to all the kids named Benji, Sherry, Brandi, and Amanda about having your name be a pop culture meme that has jack and all to do with "ethnic" names.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
People love to be offended.
Remember, people take offense it is never given; you have to look for it to find it, even (or rather especially) if its not there.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Fucking sheep, to afraid to be their own person so they have to conform to standards everyone else sets.
To be fair, not everyone has skin thick enough to go through nearly two decades of shit like that and not want to change in the event that the rest of the world acts in kind.

That and the name she was given hardly had any connection with her roots (it has more connection with Arabic or Hebrew roots than African.)

I'll give the mother that Keisha does sound like its correct, and seeing as she named her child in the mid 90's when we don't have today's internet and ability to search stuff. More that community was ludicrously stupid while the mother attempted to do something decent

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
To be fair, not everyone has skin thick enough to go through nearly two decades of shit like that and not want to change in the event that the rest of the world acts in kind.

That and the name she was given hardly had any connection with her roots (it has more connection with Arabic or Hebrew roots than African.)

I'll give the mother that Keisha does sound like its correct, and seeing as she named her child in the mid 90's when we don't have today's internet and ability to search stuff. More that community was ludicrously stupid while the mother attempted to do something decent
And how do you suppose people develop thick skin?

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she was the kind of girl who ran to mummy for every little thing. Being unable to deal with peer pressure.

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Reminds me of Michael Bolton from Office Space.

Falls under the " Suck it up" category as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
We have racism, although it's very passive aggressive racism, or racism disguised as something else. We're very politically correct over here due to the fact the UK has one of the most diverse populations in the world at the moment.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Meh, couldn't give two fucks. More racial shit being rammed down our throats by the libtards that continue to fuck up western society. People love to be offended.
Amen sir, speak the truth. However do keep in mind that sadly this is how they turn people against each other to gain votes necessary for their "elections."

In any case it is her right to change her name. However I think it's frick'in stupid to change your name because some dumb wrapper and some bullies are too "under developed" to realize what they are doing. If I had done that evertime I got teased for my name (and it's long being a man of Scottish decent) I'd have switch 3-4 times.

Besides in 5 years she will look back and realize all those kids are single moms without boyfreind, or guys living on wealthfare because their too lazy to work. Karma wins all the time :)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
While there are names that go beyond the realm of acceptability (like titles; my sister used to go to school with someone named "Empress"), making fun of someone's name to their face is despicable, and should never be done nor condoned.

That being said, some people need to learn that not everyone is nice and happy and fun and fair, and there WILL be assholes out there (hey that rhymed), and sometimes you need to suck it up and live with it.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
It's not even about making fun of their name. It's irresponsible of parents. If you can find me a Treshawn or a Shanaynay working a management position for a Fortune 500 company, I'll... I dunno. How's a cookie sound? The point is, those names send a signal to employers about your background, rightly or wrongly, and giving your kids a stupid and/or "urban" name is a great way to hamstring their chances for success regardless of talent or achievement.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It's not even about making fun of their name. It's irresponsible of parents. If you can find me a Treshawn or a Shanaynay working a management position for a Fortune 500 company, I'll... I dunno. How's a cookie sound? The point is, those names send a signal to employers about your background, rightly or wrongly, and giving your kids a stupid and/or "urban" name is a great way to hamstring their chances for success regardless of talent or achievement.
Not really the parents fault is it?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Meh, that sucks balls. Unfortunate that she felt the need to do it, but if it works for her then so be it. Kids who bullied her need to be sat down and chewed the hell out, but kids are dicks, and that pretty much how it's always going to be.

It's also important to note that, while parents do have the right to name their children anything the fuck they want to, perhaps they should think things through before actually doing it. Please.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts