Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Jump Packs!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 17 56.7%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm curious to other peoples opinions i've got two different lists building up to my 1500pt mark and I can't really decide bewteen the two as my effective fast attack selection

Which would you prefer?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I said Jump Packs, though as a Blood Angels player, my FA choices are made entirely of Attack Bikes ;-)

For normal marines, Speeders are actually the best FA choice you can make (HB/AC Tornados...yum)

However, given a choice between bikers and Assault Squads, put your money on Assault Squads. They're cheaper, more mobile and more effective at assault.

Bikers are ok as a mobile gunline, but they cost a fortune.
If you're allergic to speeders, then Attack Bikes are an ok alternative but not as good for the points compared to C:SM land speeders.

If you want mobile firepoiwer, go with speeders.
If you want a fast assault force, go with jump packs.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I use my assault marines every game. I use my bikes appx once every 10 games.

however, for an HQ, Bike is the way to go.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Being a BA player its difficult to choose since I'm spoiled and get so many fast moving unit options. However I think I would go with Jump Pack Marines, you just get more bang for the buck, they are cheaper to purchase, and IMO they look cooler. Good Luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd second Engelus - for marine squads assault marines>bikes.
But for HQ's I'd go bike every time.

For chaos things are a little blurrier, as their bikers come with 2 ccw's, which is assault marines main advantage.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
jump packs, so they are cheaper and you can get more in an army.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Its not really so simple a choice as one or the other. They preform two totally different roles ont eh battle field.
Assault marines are for what their name says, you just chuck them at the enemy or use them to counter assault & they come into their own in assault.
Bikes on the other hand are not as good in assault (though T5 helps) but they are very much jack of all trades. They are a reactionary unit, they can out shoot assaulters, out assault shooters & get the hell away from anything that they cannot outshoot or outassault. Very much a finesse unit.
:wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I take Bike over Raptors, (Chaos player), my Bikes keep causing hell with my enemy, even Space Marines..... i've got three units of ten, all with Mark of Nurgle, so their kinda tough to killl ;) and i use them in assualts seeing as if they move 24', they get a 3+ Invunerable as well as 3+Armour, so Lascannons and other AP2/3 weapons are only nullifying one :D

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Attack bikes make for a dandy mobile alternative to a Dev squad. Particularly Blood Angels who can get 50 point multimelta bikes.

It's basically a 6-man 3-gun Dev squad thats tougher, able to move (very fast) and shoot for a similar cost.

For C:SM
Consider a comparably set up Dev squad. 6 men with 3 lascannons (similar role as 3 MM bikes) come in at 195

For the same price you can get 3 MM Attack Bikes, exact same price, but more effective penetration (getting into melta range is not hard with a bike) +1 toughness, Twinlinked bolters, which can doubletap and move, and turbo-boost, which is pretty handy for getting into melta range.

Granted, if you're going to go for HBs, then the Dev squad ends up 15 cheaper, but 15 points is a small price to pay for an anti-infantry squad that can move, or even fire and charge.

I would take attack bikes over devastators, but if you want mobile assault, you;re best off going wiht assault squads.

Regular bikes are just too costly for no better than they are.

·
Registered
151 Posts
toughness 5 because of bike, plus another for Nurgle :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's basically a 6-man 3-gun Dev squad thats tougher, able to move (very fast) and shoot for a similar cost.
I would take attack bikes over devastators, but if you want mobile assault, you;re best off going wiht assault squads.
The big difference between Devvy's & AB's is that the Devvy's can lose 3 guys to ID weapons & the attack bikes cant. Also the regular chaps can take 3 wounds with no loss of firepower while the bikes lose 1/3 of their shots.

Regular bikes are just too costly for no better than they are.
Yes & no. Bikes do exactly what bikes do. The standard squad is a good allround squad. It can kill shooty units in assault & it can hunt assaulting units from a range. I love em.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know assualt Squads are a pain when they have been tooled up right, with the double armed attacks and such, but remember about their crap ranged weapons, 12" tops, and if they not in combat, they get pretty much wasted....... and their attacks could be lowered by damned Dark Elder Witches, pains in the backside i tell you :D

which reminds me of something at one of my first Apocalypse games :D Sisters of Battle against Chaos, (i won in the end, but funny) his female Inquisitor got charged by my Bikers in dangerous terrain, someone noticed she had some of her leg showing, i passed the terrina checks, then we decided to make me take the passed ones again......."Seduction Test" as she was showing off :shok: still had enough bikes left to kill her and win game :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bikes are just the nastiest units in the game when used properly. I use them with my Dark Eldar, Space Marines, if Tyranids had bikes I would use them too.

Dark Eldar 3 squads of 3 with 6 blasters, and a Archon on a bike.

Space Marines 3 squads of 3 with 6 Plasmaguns, and a Librarian on a bike is even nastier, and doesn't cost a ton more than it's DE equivalent.

I won't give away my dirty trick combo's (I play Dark Eldar so you know I've got a bag full ;) ) however the sheer surgical striking power of these types of combo units is extreme.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Space Marines 3 squads of 3 with 6 Plasmaguns...
Aren't you worried about overheat? Bikes are pretty expensive if you're blowing one up every turn you're shooting...

There's a bit of a debate here about bikes in general if you're interested.

On the subject at hand, gotta agree with everyone who said "for general assaults, jump packs, bikes for hunting stuff".

·
Registered
78 Posts
Even if he overheats he still fires the shot. Beyond that he only gets 2 attacks in the assault, and is just fodder.

But dumping 6 shots of plasmaguns, into a unit of terminators that just deepstruck, followed by assaulting them with a terminator. The points work themselves out.

Like I always say it's the strategy behind the unit, and their goal is to break down hard or units with numbers prior to their assault with the libby.

Which allows a mop up in their assault phase, and you begin the bunny hop of doom from unit to unit starting from their flank.

·
Registered
151 Posts
just one problem in that theory, each overheat has a nasty chance of killing your guy, and no, even if it over heats doesn't mean you get the shot off, if your rapid firing and got one overheat the other still work,...... six is kinda overkill, that's why i like Thousand Sons, anti-Marine troops with 24" no matter what :D brilliant

·
Registered
78 Posts
Far as any faq's I've read if Plasma overheats it still fires. Nothing personal but it's not a theory it a tested tactic that works well.

Your opponents will moan about it but it works. If you don't like the risk of plasmaguns overheating you can always take melta's.

I personally despise a draw game so I take risks and I win big, or lose big. Bad habit I picked up from Dark Eldar.

The units serve multiple purposes.
1. They screen the Librarian so even if you need to cross open terrain they have to cut through 3+ inv saves to even shoot at the Librarian.
2. They act as tank hunters since when flanking that hard and far into their backfield your bound to run into tanks, and burning tank hulls make great cover.
3. They act as a numbers modifier to assist the Librarian in breaking enemy units.

Typically this combo doesn't strike until turn 3 when it's safely in position.

However if this isn't the type of strategy you like to run with great. We can't all play the same way. My advice to anyone though is just proxy it for a couple of friendly games. Just take 1 bike squad, and a chaplain or libby on a bike and see what it can do.

You will likely be very surprised.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts