Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Do you find bikers in Warhammer 40'000 lame or not?

• Lame

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Not Lame

Votes: 50 79.4%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they Lame or are they Not?

This thread is to discuss whether or not you think Bikers in the world of Warhammer 40'000 are lame or not.

This includes SM, CSM, Eldar, DE, Orks etc. There are some who believe that building a bike with a couple of guns stuck to the handlebars and biking around a battlefield shooting them is massively innacurate a therefore makes these very LAME.

The reason I post this thread is I've seen some discussions about it in other places including my LGS and wondered what everyones opinions here are.

Personally, now that the subject has been brought up, I find it very lame. Not only for the reasons listed above but who would let you ride into them and let you start hitting them with a sword of a big axe?

Sure enough they look cool and are useful in the game, but just how lame do you think they are and why?

Also, if you think they're not lame, why?

Just wondered really :)

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I've yet to see bikes be worth their points cost on the battlefeild. They're especially useless on any battle feild with more then a few peices of terrain.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Jetbikes are usefull, from what my Eldar playing friend tells me... Orky bikes, it depends on how you use them... Marines bikes are most defiantely useless though. I've NEVER seen anyone with any experience use them.

·
I Piss in your Cheerios
7,370 Posts
Ummm...Bikes have been used in war plenty. See WW2 German bikes with sidecars, for example - just like an Attack Bike.

I don't really understand the question, so I'm saying Not Lame.

·
Registered
164 Posts
well, i voted for lame :p, but i do admit they can be handy on the field. I only use the attack bikes with MM.. when ever ive used them they always killed more in points value then they where worth... they make great tank hunters if there is plenty of terrain to cover the advance and great for out flanking artill

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Not lame. Even if it is kinda dumb to ride a motorcycle on a battlefield where every surface is a shell blasted ruin and where roughly 25% of the battlefield will kill you 1/6th of the time. Despite all this, armies of Bikers are cool. Not a big fan of just a single squad of Bikes though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have a squad of Chaos Bikers. They are badass, and effective. They even say that the noises that make are hellish and repulsing, so if you are looking to justify it fluff-wise, then there you go. Shock tactics is the best thing I can think off.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Not Lame,

But then I'm biased, I took a SM bike army to a tournament and did pretty well (read: better than I've ever done before, even with my mech IG)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
SM Bike armies are very good and have had a good showing in tourny's. Personally I find bikes to be good for a great many things, most of all a late game objective grab,

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
they are certainly far from lame...as long as the tactics used for them aren't lame, and the numbers aren't really low to be pointless taking in the first place

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I think they are an intriguing facet of the game. Though, as the SM codex points out, they're mainly used for recon rather than all out combat. Driving around on an open battlefield isn't exactly the smartest thing to do even with that shiny suit of power armor protecting you. Still, I think they're cool. I have no experience with them as of yet, but I really don't plan on adding any to my Chapter in the perceivable future. They just don't do it for me. Maybe just a single squad to have around.

I've been thinking about this, actually: Master of the Forge + Conversion Beamer + Bike + Alcohol = Carnage.

Now that's an interesting looking combination. It is a pretty big point anchor for a list... Though when it comes to my playstyle in 40k, (Something along the lines of beer for the Beer God.), having a good time is all I care about. And that equation looks like a good time.

I say bikes are not lame.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I don't see how bikes can ever be considered lame. What's more awesome than riding your Harley into battle? Oh right, mounting a big fething gun on your Harley and then ride into battle.

Bikes are a pretty cool concept, despite the fact that it's rather strange using them under the such conditions. But biker armies look pretty sweet. And you get to yell VROOM!! when you turboboost them around. That is an advantage which should not be underestimated.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Since the core bits of the tactics and point cost related issues have been mentioned already, I'll just say I voted for not lame. If you've liked Mad Max you'll love bikes and biker armies. And from a realistic perspective, they are pretty good for urban warfare: bikes zig-zagging all around the city, armed to the teeth with flamers and grenades. Cover doesn't look so good anymore, now does it? :)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
BIKES....tank hunting bikes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts