Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
IIRC Imperial probes discovered Greenskins had spread to areas beyond the Milky Way galaxy.

Codex: Necrons also talks a lot about the "universe" rather than the "galaxy" which may imply their influence spread (far) beyond the Milky Way at one point.

And as you mentioned, the Tyranids are an extragalactic threat.

Aside from that (as far as im aware) other galaxies have not been mentioned. But regardless, they are far beyond Imperial reach and influence.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
It is yet another inconsistancy in the fluff. Some references talk about how there is no time or distance in the warp. Other sources (most of them) talk about warp travel as though further distance requires more time.

The one crossover explanation that I've seen is that the actual warp jumps take no time, but the maneuvering required between jumps can take months or even years. In order to jump from one spot to another, through the warp, the navigator must have a psychic point of reference for the destination.

Since no human ships have travelled beyond the galaxy and setup any kind of jump reference, it would be near impossible to accurately warp jump the distance.

If you like this sort of thing, check out a book called, "Forever War" by Joe Haldeman.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't think that the jumps take longer the further you go, rather it is that the longer you stay in the warp the greater the time dislocation you might suffer. After all, you could travel across the galaxy in a day if the warp-time went the right way. And I think that's the crux of it right there; inside your ship a long jump takes a long time, but it's what time's passing outside that would determine how long the jump took. So, from a certain point of view, there isn't any time in the warp but there is- it is the warp after all!
As for outside the galaxy, from what I've picked up the warp does continue on throughout the universe, but outside of our galaxy it becomes completely calm thus stopping warp travel. Sentient life is required to give the warp its turbulence, through its emotional turmoil. Which raises the question are the Chaos gods confined only to this galaxy, or are they connected to all galaxies in some way that transcends the immaterium?

GFP

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Some things man is not meant to know...

As far as canon goes, there is nothing beyond what has already been said. :whistle:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I feel like I remember reading once that Warp travel was not possible outside of the Milky Way. I could be completely making that up.
Since no human ships have travelled beyond the galaxy and setup any kind of jump reference, it would be near impossible to accurately warp jump the distance..
Navigators refuse to go beyond out galaxy cause the light of the astronomica ends at the edge of our galaxy. To actually jump it takes minutes, Blood Reaver.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As long as you 'follow' the light of the Astronomica / have a point of reference to where you are going, it takes minutes. When you become lost in the warp, that's when the time goes astray.

In the warp, time does not follow a steady straight path as it does in reality. It's more like an ocean or the eye of a storm, swirling around without any logic or reason. The Astronomica is like a safety rope in this storm, as long as you follow and hold on, you'll be ok.

In Blood Reaver during warp travel, the Navigator almost loses control of her ship at the start of the jump and they begin to 'fall' (that's how its described) in the warp, away from the Astronomica. However she regains control quick enough to follow the light of the Astronomica and continue travelling.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Which raises the question are the Chaos gods confined only to this galaxy, or are they connected to all galaxies in some way that transcends the immaterium?
The warp being a seperate dimension would suggest itself that it couldn't just be confined to the Milky Way doesn't it? Aside from that we know that other life at least has existed in other galaxies (as proved by the existence of the Tyranids and evidence of a Greenskin presence beyond the Milky Way) which would also support the notion that the warp isn't confined to the Milky Way.

Navigators refuse to go beyond out galaxy cause the light of the astronomica ends at the edge of our galaxy.
It doesn't even stretch to the Eastern Fringe, let alone the edge. :p

In Blood Reaver during warp travel, the Navigator almost loses control of her ship at the start of the jump and they begin to 'fall' (that's how its described) in the warp, away from the Astronomica. However she regains control quick enough to follow the light of the Astronomica and continue travelling.
IIRC wasn't Octavia taught to navigate without using the Astronomican?

·
Registered
158 Posts
IIRC wasn't Octavia taught to navigate without using the Astronomican?
She was raised as part of a lesser aristocratic navigator family, her training surely would have included using the Astronomicon? I don't recall it being mentioned in any detail. Her training isn't that important though to the point that during the events of Blood Reaver she uses the Astronomicon as a guide when they use warp travel - when she loses control of the ship for the few seconds its touch-and-go and she desperately clings to the sight of it.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
She was raised as part of a lesser aristocratic navigator family, her training surely would have included using the Astronomicon?
No, I didn't mean during her training with the Navis Nobilite, I meant following her capture by the Night Lords. I'll have to look it up (either in Soul Hunter or Blood Reaver) to find a direct quote, but I definitely remember her being instructed to navigate the ship without using the Astronomican.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I don't think that the jumps take longer the further you go, rather it is that the longer you stay in the warp the greater the time dislocation you might suffer.
OK...so what you're saying is that a greater travel-distance generally means greater Warp travel-time, but realspace travel-time is random regardless of travel-distance?
Example: Ship A is warp-traveling a distance of 100 light years. Ship B is warp-traveling a distance of 1 light year. The Warp travel-time for Ship A would be longer, let's say 100 hours. The Warp travel-time for Ship B would be shorter, let's say 1 hour. Ship A thus spends more time in the Warp. However, Ship A's realspace travel-time could be shorter than Ship B's. Thus if the ships start off at the same time in realspace, Ship A may arrive first on the Imperial calendar, but Ship A's crew will have experienced more time in the Warp.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I always had this theory that the Warp is in fact one massive entity that traveled to(or was born at) the Milky Way at some point and was a far cry from what it is now. Over time it got bigger, more complex, and then began to sprout different sorts of entities like daemons or the Chaos gods as it interacted with the physical realm and the souls that lived there.

Like how at the end of the War in Heaven, when Chaos first made it's presence known it was in the form of an Enslaver plague. There were no gods or daemons trying to get people to worship or summon them, it was just Warp entities coming through psykers and eating souls with no real goal.

Time and distance DO have meaning in the Warp, just not one that mortals can comprehend. Otherwise it would be impossible for even the Chaos gods to grasp concepts of time and space at all. There must be some sort of reference point, a connection between the Warp and the materium that makes any sort of translation possible.

OT: If the Nids can travel to the Milky Way and be aware of something in the Warp(like the Astronomicon's signal for instance), then other things outside of the galaxy must be able to see the Warp, regardless of if they know what it is or not.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Surely if anyone from within the Milky Way has travelled out of it it would be the Eldar, and they have never mentioned it as far as I'm aware, so maybe it's just too far for mortals to travel with adequate supplies?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I think the general point is that there is simply no need for any of the current factions to venture beyond the current galaxy, even if they could. The Terran Imperium is the largest mortal empire at present, yet the majority of the galaxy still remains unexplored and uncharted to them. They have all the manpower, living space, resources/energy, uncharted space (in regards to wander lust), and enemies they could ever require. So its not really an issue. Certainly not at the moment in the Time of Ending.

Whether the mortal factions theoretically could or not reach another galaxy is another matter though. The Human Federations during the Dark Age sent out probes which detected signs of Greenskin life beyond the Milky Way (i'll have to double check to find that source) so that could be used as evidence in favour. How they got there would presumably be via the warp (unless they were planted there as the Krork by the Old Ones), which would also be the theoretical method for most other factions. The Necrons during the War in Heaven were armed with ships that could "cross the galaxy in the blink of an eye." Perhaps this technology would have enabled them to reach other galaxies. The Tyranids have also achieved inter-galactic travel without employing warp travel, so there are definatley other methods. It certainly seems that reaching other galaxies would be possible for the likes of humanity.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
This sounds like an interesting subject...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Monty: You've got it right, at least as I see it happening anyway. I think that fluff talking about longer warp-jumps taking longer than short jumps, is just a good in-'verse rule-of-thumb because it usually works out that way.
When it comes tp probes sent out by DAoT Humanity, are you sure, CotE, that they actually got to other galaxies? I mean travelling purely through realspace there is no way that they could reach another galaxy in such a short space of time, even at lightspeed. The quote I remember seeing was that 'wherever in the galaxy Humanity sent its probes, the Orks had always seemed to be there already' (of course that's a rather poor paraphrase).

GFP

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Monty: You've got it right, at least as I see it happening anyway. I think that fluff talking about longer warp-jumps taking longer than short jumps, is just a good in-'verse rule-of-thumb because it usually works out that way
I guess that sort of makes sense
greater travel-distance equals greater travel-time in the Immaterium, but the corresponding travel-time in the Materium is subject to a significant degree of randomness...in fact, realspace travel-time could be negative (you arrive before you set out)
the degree of randomness can't be too great, however, otherwise Warp travel would be exceedingly inefficient

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think the general point is that there is simply no need for any of the current factions to venture beyond the current galaxy, even if they could. The Terran Imperium is the largest mortal empire at present, yet the majority of the galaxy still remains unexplored and uncharted to them. They have all the manpower, living space, resources/energy, uncharted space (in regards to wander lust), and enemies they could ever require. So its not really an issue. Certainly not at the moment in the Time of Ending.

Whether the mortal factions theoretically could or not reach another galaxy is another matter though. The Human Federations during the Dark Age sent out probes which detected signs of Greenskin life beyond the Milky Way (i'll have to double check to find that source) so that could be used as evidence in favour. How they got there would presumably be via the warp (unless they were planted there as the Krork by the Old Ones), which would also be the theoretical method for most other factions. The Necrons during the War in Heaven were armed with ships that could "cross the galaxy in the blink of an eye." Perhaps this technology would have enabled them to reach other galaxies. The Tyranids have also achieved inter-galactic travel without employing warp travel, so there are definatley other methods. It certainly seems that reaching other galaxies would be possible for the likes of humanity.
Is it uncharted or did the IoM lose the starcharts of what they had. To my knowledge the great crusade rediscovered allot but who knows how many uncharted colonies there are.

Pirates, rouges, smugglers, people like the interex. If the latter could get to that level who knows what a civ that the IoM didn't find could be at in the 10K since the HH.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, I didn't mean during her training with the Navis Nobilite, I meant following her capture by the Night Lords. I'll have to look it up (either in Soul Hunter or Blood Reaver) to find a direct quote, but I definitely remember her being instructed to navigate the ship without using the Astronomican.

I'm pretty sure the Night Lords don't instruct her to do it, but the machine spirit of the Covenant of blood rebels against navigating the warp with the use of the astronomican.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts