Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody else think that blood angels should be able to at leat assault out of tanks rather than shoot? i mean they are famed for their blood thirstyness and close combat skills?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Captain, this forum is for ideas on how to improve the board, not for asking GW to change the rules or for posting house rules.

If you would like to discuss house rules for blood angels (or anyone else) please come over to Houserules and Homebrews

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like the BA codex. Makes them a unique army while not making them to overpowered/underpowered. I agree with the charging out of vehicles, but you would be surprised at the number of people who play BA as a shooty army...One of the mysteries of the world...

Alias

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah its wierd isnt it? if they want a shooty army thats red id just start my own. otherwise theres no real point the the baal preditors, death co and furioso drenoughts. but what ever floats your boat i guess

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Baal predators aren't shooty?

Veteran Assault Squads with three storm bolters and a pair of meltaguns aren't shooty?

A swarm of attack bikes armed with tank-destroying multimeltas aren't shooty?

The thing is, there's more than one kind of shooting army. You don't have to line up four feet away and plink things with lascannons to be a shooty army.

The Blood Angels army list makes a fantastic 'Run and Gun' list. We have a lot of highly mobile, heavily armed units that have the speed to get into close range and lay out a blanket of lethal firepower and the strength to either initiate or defend against assaults should they come up.

While the blood angels are a very assault themed army, Assault is only half of our strength. You could tool up a VAS for assault, with power weapons and assault weapons, or you can load them down with plasma guns and bolters and make them a rapid-fire hit and run squad. You can put two plasma pistols and two plasma guns into an honour guard and make a highly mobile 5 man squad that can unleash 6 S7 AP2 shots at 12" or less and still be able to put up a good assault for a unit their size.

Meanwhile, just because you're geared for mobile shooting doesn't mean you can't also include a strong assault force, and few assault forces are stronger than a large Death Company. In fact, the presence of the Death Company actually means you can afford to invest *less* in assault units, since you already have a strong assault core.

You just have to look at the army list and its potential, rather than a one-sided stereotype of 'BA = Assault' and make a balanced list that includes a strong assault element but includes enough mobile firepower to take on the kind of tank-heavy armies that make so much trouble for assault forces.

One could argue that if you want to play a totally one-sided army of bright red, raving-mad assault forces with no meaningful firepower you should play World Eaters instead of Blood Angels.

BA are better at assault than regular marines, but there are forces out there that are better at assaulting than us (chaos, nids, Grey Knights) but there are few fporces that have good assault *and* as good of firepower as us.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Yer, what Galahad said.

I run a small BA-is-really-BA list, and a somewhat larger Chaos-counts-as-BA army, and I think Gal's got it right. BA are great at assault, definitely, and obviously, assault squads come high on the list of what you think of when someone says 'Blood Angels'; but they also have some great shooty options, as well as other units like attack bikes that are great mobile tank-hunters.

On the subject f the original post - why just BA? Why not Black Templars? Why not World Eaters, as Gal mentioned? All are assault-orientated armies - the latter two arguably even more so than BA. If World Eaters, BT and BA, why not every unit with furious charge? Where would it end?

I could, just about I think, agree that if the DC are mounted in a rhino, they could make a surprise charge... maybe this is a 'homebrew' topic though. I'll open one there later...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts