Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wanting to get back into the hobby (and I'm making a nuisance of myself on these forums) with a goal towards doing really top-notch minis. I've got a plan of how to start, and it's pretty much to do a lot of troops to begin with. I'm thinking that Space Marines, Eldar and Tau are the best to start with, since they're more...well I won't say SIMPLE, I'll just say "basic" in that there's not a lot of skintones and lots of flat areas of color. Anyone have any thoughts as to how accurate that is? And what would make a good "intermediate' project following a buttload of armored troops?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Anything Space Marine is going to be easier than doing, for example, Tyranids. The larger, flatter surfaces on PA will make getting back into things easier IMO. Even Tau might be a little tougher as Firewarriors are smaller. But really, it all depends on the paint scheme that you want to do.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I would say a good next step would be transports for the troops to move them around quickly. Barring that I would go heavy support something that can bring some good fire power to your army.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hello hello, and welcome to the wonderfull world of painting where the best turn a phrase you will hear is wtf how they do the same thing as me and get that and I got this...thing.

Well I think you are on the wrong road already, to be a good painter is not about saying I want to be a good painter I will paint tons and then will be awesome. It is "hate this term" from the heart you either really enjoy it and will be really good or just pound it down to get to the next one.

First things first your first model will not be what you expected it to be but you should love it anyways for if you do not love each step on the way going further will always be a struggle. So to become a great or perfect painter there is a guide "sorry if this sounds corny but I spent from the time I was 6 suffering from alot of sickness and such which prevents me from working a full time job" so I found something that works for me painting and sculpting. I am far from GW standards but I love it and imporved 1000% in less then 2 years now that I got the money to blow on green stuff rather then other cheaper "far inferior clay"

So with out any more boring info "sorry i get carried away" here is the steps

1: Find a model you love, make it a cheaper one 15-20$ model ebay has tons and privateer press has really cheap good looking ones.
2: Get a scheme if your plan changes on the go it will show your model will look like it is clashing with itself.
3: To find out what base coat you need or want will take some time some can give a metalic look some give a better shine or darken it down. You may want to do a mix of one or 2 different styles again you will get use to it as time goes.
4: Buy a cheap small brush "not that horible thing GW sells for drybrushing. not really needed but drybrushing is like a murder to brushes.
5: Take the time to paint it may take hours to a week who knows as long as it is looking good. People on here and on dakkadakka are always saying I worked hard on this and here it is half the model is barly touched and ever crack is not painted leaving it white and just wrong.
6:Once it is done be happy with it and if you see something wrong check the net heresy is full of some awesome painters who will tell you some techniques to do what it is your trying to pull off.
But others come on here for 1 or 2 i got a bigger epeen and move on "annoying" you will find a few lol.
7 Rinse and repeat until you hit a place you like but be scared very scared skills with the hands are like women if you do not get in there and get your hands dirtys every once in a while they will get rough and take time to get to that perfect finish, which can be frustrating. And you end up with sloppy results where no one is happy with what just happened.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts

·
8,723 Posts
My nephew used to do that :laugh:

·
8,723 Posts
He was about seven when he used to do that. :)

He's twenty-three and a dad now. I think I may have blinked and missed something..... :shok:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Just to echo what @NoHeresyOnlyTruth said get a basic understanding for how the painting works before attempting to start a big project. Your first few paintjobs will never be as nice at the paint jobs that you have after a months worth of experience. If you want a good practice set of Mini's id suggest Cadian Imp Guard. they have a bit of everything to practice on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See, I was going to avoid IG, partially because skin is a bit daunting to me, partially because I can see myself actually playing them as an army, so I'd like to get my skill level up first. But maybe I'll get my hands on some cheap eBay models and start making a mess!

EDIT: Ditto with Necrons. Got my hands on a Triarch Stalker just because I think it looks cool as hell, but I don't want to even touch it before I have some sense of what I'm doing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, eBay is looking like a rich mine of minis. I've read several posts about stripping plastic models. Back in the day when everything was metal, you just tossed it in some lacquer thinner and all was good. I'm going to try using engine degreaser, but one poster here recommended using non-acetone nail polish remover, so I may try that as well. Just wish I had a good way of getting the glue undone. Anyone ever try freezing them?

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I'm thinking that Space Marines, Eldar and Tau are the best to start with, since they're more...well I won't say SIMPLE, I'll just say "basic" in that there's not a lot of skintones and lots of flat areas of color.
As one who started out his painting-career with Chaos Space Marines about a year ago, I can say that these might not actually be the easiest to start with. Just hear me out:

When dealing with units like Tau, Space Marines and the like, you are having some minis with very straight and unforgiving lines. The rims, eyes and borders on the armor might look easy enough, but in reality you will spot a mistake a mile away, as everything is clear-cut and straight.

When dealing with flesh, cloth and the like, you have more... well, flexibility in how you paint it. If you do a shadow wrong, you wont notice it the same as if your rim on the armor isn't clear-cut perfect. In essence a Space Marine can easily be as hard, if not harder, for a beginner. It's a bit deceptive in the end - At least if you really want to get the different techniques down, and not just do a prime and a shade.

I can't tell you what will be the easiest to start with, as it totally depends on your paint-style. Personally I enjoy painting flesh and cloth more than armor, and some of my friends are the exact opposite. I would personally go with the minis that you think are awesome to look at, do some research (watch some videos, read some tutorials, etc) and have at it. Make your own style based on what you see and read.

Oh and you're not a nuisance. In truth, it's delightful to follow the progress of one who stand where I stood a year ago. I'm sure many here would love to help out, me included!

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
My nephew used to do that
My brother still does that...

Skin is only hard if you try to make it look like an actual face but smaller. Confused? Basically, there are ways to do skin so that it doesn't look real up close but it does from a foot or two back. Those ways aren't super-hard...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
If you're just looking for painting practice - reaper bones are cheap as chips and you can get a wide variety of models to test/practice your abilities.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts