Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Best Marine Aircraft?

971 views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Xabre 
If You want to just test out a flyer then the stormtalon is the definite way to go. It has low Armour but is relatively cheap (less than 130pts) for base model with Assault cannon and Heavy Bolters then you have the upgrade options. Each weapon is sky-fire (remember you have to declare which mode your flyer will shoot in before shooting). keep it away from quad guns however. (interceptor is a Pain in the ass). At 45 USD its also very affordable for the pocket book and it can easily swoop in on its arriving turn and kill a model worth twice its own points with upgrades. as a space marine player its my opinion that you should have one or two of these in an army regardless of what else you have available. Also not that because its a flyer its alot easier to get within reach of an opponents back armour suddenly making that AV 13 alot less intimidating.

The fire Eagle is also an extremely cool model and a complete and total PITA to assemble not to mention the cost. Since i am not familiar enough with working with FW resin mine has been sitting on a shelf collecting dust until i get around to it. (something which terrifies me).

Don't aircraft have to keep moving though and can only turn 90 a turn, so they'll fly off the board won't they? If you switch to skimmer doesn't it make them extremely vulnerable to small arms fire?
yes however keepin mind they only have to move a minimum of 18 inches. this means you can fly on next turn turn 90 and move 18 and repeat essentially flying all around the board if you want to. the 90 degree turn id done Before you move the model so be sure to plan where you want the next tun to take it.

I've considered taking a Stormraven and using the model as a base to create a Fire Raptor, which is a beautiful gunship. For Chaos you also get the Reapers instead of standard autocannons.

I like the Stormtalon with Skyhammer missiles. Flying autocannons, and assault cannons for the close in work? Yes please.
the fire Raptor actually comes with a stormeagle as its based of that design.

The purpose of the conversion was to NOT use Forgeworld. The Stormeagle is based off a larger Stormraven, the Fire Raptor is based off the Stormeagle. Therefore, Fire Raptor is based off StormRaven. While everyone always says the Stormraven is too small as a transport, it'd probably be perfect for a Gunship; you just replace the side hurricane sponsons w/ autocannon mounts, add some REALLY big assault cannons to the front, and you're in business.
I was just pointing out the fact that it came with one. I definetly see your logic. the only major problem id see is getting the actuall assault cannons. (of course if youre handy with Plasticard and brass piping that fixes your problem right there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.