Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's the only dimension in my current force I think I lack, I have some anti air but I've been reluctant to use aircraft due to the fact they weren't in the game when I used to play and I'm not entirely sure how to use them. Either way someone at my local store said one of them is awesome and I should really get it but I can't remember which one, could someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I've never seen a storm talon do anything - they always get shot down.

The Storm Raven is excellent - 4 guns, POTMS to fire a 5th, missiles and the ability to carry a squad and a dreadnought and av12 all round. Expensive though. BA get the best one.

The FW Storm Eagle gets an extra hull point and can have 1 multi-melta, 2 TW lascannons and 2 st5 ap4 large blast shots a turn, with ceramite hull (IIRC) It can carry 20 men, but if you put that many in it, you're asking to have it shot down. Even more expensive.

The FW Cestus Assault Ram (Shoe of DOOM) gets av13 on the front plus a 5++ and a 18" large blast melta and can carry terminators like they were normal marines iirc. Even more expensive than that.

The FW Fire Raptor has 2 autcannon batteries and a st6 TL ap3 high amount of shots boltery thing - I'm sure someone will remember the name for me :laugh: also av12 all round and doesn't bother with troop carrying, so you never have to hover mode and it provides good fire support - I think this is the best one available for marines :)

Edit: And it's by far the best looking. Followed by the Storm Eagle.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think he must of been on about the Storm Raven then since I don't think think he was including forgeworld ones, so out of the two normal GW ones then the storm raven is the best?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I think so - other people may have different opinions. It's expensive, but I've seen them tip the balance of games on a fair few occasions.
If you play BA it gets 4 st8 missiles, if you play as any other chapter it gets st6 missiles and the grey knights one gets psychic powers.

What are you planning - do you want to shoot down planes or destroy ground targets? (imo, it's best to concentrate on one area and do it well)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anti aircraft I believe, at least that was the conversation it was brought up in because atm I'm having to use either an aegis defence line for my anti air, which isn't bad and worked well for me or a deva squad with flakk missile, so I'm kind of thinking of having a more proactive anti craft counter that can double as a strafer.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
In that case, I'd go assault cannon and TW (IIRC) multi melta - most fliers don't have a high av and st6 with rending isn't nice against fliers :)

Whats your/your opponents opinion on FW? The Fire Raptor is the best looking flier and can take other planes down due to high volume of st7 and the st6 gun removes space marines.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/F/fire-raptor.pdf

Not sure if these are the latest rules - I think so.

Avenger Bolt cannon - st6, 7 shots, twin-linked with bs5 against ground targets due to strafing run.
The it gets 8 twin linked st7 ap4 shots.

And missiles.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think they'd mind but not sure if I want to jump in at the deep end and spend that much money on something when I've never used aircraft before.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Using aircraft - they come on from reserve, zooming fliers move 18" to 36" and can make a 90 degree turn. They fire up to 4 guns and 1 extra for potms.
In hover mode they are treated as a fast skimmer and can fire 2 guns - if it has an assault ramp you can charge out of them now.

Get a raven to start with then :)

I bought a storm eagle for my chaos. That was 3 months of work. I've never seen so much warping...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Isn't warping appropriate for a chaos model?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I think the Stormtalon is amazing, to be honest. 125pts is cheap as hell for a flying Assault Cannon and Str7 Heavy Bolter. Hover Strike is pretty nice - I've had a couple of games where I just sat and shot with Strafing Run and mowed down infantry and light armour.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If You want to just test out a flyer then the stormtalon is the definite way to go. It has low Armour but is relatively cheap (less than 130pts) for base model with Assault cannon and Heavy Bolters then you have the upgrade options. Each weapon is sky-fire (remember you have to declare which mode your flyer will shoot in before shooting). keep it away from quad guns however. (interceptor is a Pain in the ass). At 45 USD its also very affordable for the pocket book and it can easily swoop in on its arriving turn and kill a model worth twice its own points with upgrades. as a space marine player its my opinion that you should have one or two of these in an army regardless of what else you have available. Also not that because its a flyer its alot easier to get within reach of an opponents back armour suddenly making that AV 13 alot less intimidating.

The fire Eagle is also an extremely cool model and a complete and total PITA to assemble not to mention the cost. Since i am not familiar enough with working with FW resin mine has been sitting on a shelf collecting dust until i get around to it. (something which terrifies me).

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't aircraft have to keep moving though and can only turn 90 a turn, so they'll fly off the board won't they? If you switch to skimmer doesn't it make them extremely vulnerable to small arms fire?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I've considered taking a Stormraven and using the model as a base to create a Fire Raptor, which is a beautiful gunship. For Chaos you also get the Reapers instead of standard autocannons.

I like the Stormtalon with Skyhammer missiles. Flying autocannons, and assault cannons for the close in work? Yes please.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Don't aircraft have to keep moving though and can only turn 90 a turn, so they'll fly off the board won't they? If you switch to skimmer doesn't it make them extremely vulnerable to small arms fire?
yes however keepin mind they only have to move a minimum of 18 inches. this means you can fly on next turn turn 90 and move 18 and repeat essentially flying all around the board if you want to. the 90 degree turn id done Before you move the model so be sure to plan where you want the next tun to take it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've considered taking a Stormraven and using the model as a base to create a Fire Raptor, which is a beautiful gunship. For Chaos you also get the Reapers instead of standard autocannons.

I like the Stormtalon with Skyhammer missiles. Flying autocannons, and assault cannons for the close in work? Yes please.
the fire Raptor actually comes with a stormeagle as its based of that design.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Can you make stormtalon out of a dark talon? I really like that model.
If you'll excuse a truly bad photo, I combined a Dark Talon, Stormtalon and Stormraven together to make my Dark Angels Stormtalon (gonna use it for a Stormwing Formation).
@SwedeMarine - The purpose of the conversion was to NOT use Forgeworld. The Stormeagle is based off a larger Stormraven, the Fire Raptor is based off the Stormeagle. Therefore, Fire Raptor is based off StormRaven. While everyone always says the Stormraven is too small as a transport, it'd probably be perfect for a Gunship; you just replace the side hurricane sponsons w/ autocannon mounts, add some REALLY big assault cannons to the front, and you're in business.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The purpose of the conversion was to NOT use Forgeworld. The Stormeagle is based off a larger Stormraven, the Fire Raptor is based off the Stormeagle. Therefore, Fire Raptor is based off StormRaven. While everyone always says the Stormraven is too small as a transport, it'd probably be perfect for a Gunship; you just replace the side hurricane sponsons w/ autocannon mounts, add some REALLY big assault cannons to the front, and you're in business.
I was just pointing out the fact that it came with one. I definetly see your logic. the only major problem id see is getting the actuall assault cannons. (of course if youre handy with Plasticard and brass piping that fixes your problem right there.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
It's really not that big a deal, when you think about it. The Hades Autocannon, for instance, is TINY mounted on a Heldrake, and massive on a Forgefiend. I would probably use large caliber assault cannons. One conversion I did once was to take an assault cannon, cut the muzzle away and use the tripple muzzle from a GK terminator Psilencer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.