Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
10 Kabalite Warriors with Blaster and Splinter Cannon in Raider.

If you have some points to burn, get a Sybarite and Night Shields (note that Night Shields are only good if you buy them for every skimmer in the army, but they are pretty good if you can afford them).

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You were pretty much spot on from the get go it seems. But if you have points to spare I'd consider getting the Raider a Splinter Rack. It's pretty cheap, and if you are playing them right, you'll always get some value out of it.

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You were pretty much spot on from the get go it seems. But if you have points to spare I'd consider getting the Raider a Splinter Rack. It's pretty cheap, and if you are playing them right, you'll always get some value out of it.
That's what I was planning as those twin linked splinter rifle can do some damage.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I don't like Splinter Racks - they make your stupidly fragile transports even more expensive, and require you to be in the Raider. Staying in your Raider is a bad move. With a Str4 hit per Warrior when it explodes( and believe me it's when not if), you'll almost always lose more than half the squad. You're not Space Marines - squads get far less functional when they get down to 4 or 3 Warriors. Always try and disembark and get behind your Aegis Line at the earliest opportunity, and then retreat with your vehicles to make use of their range and maneouvrebility.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Midnight, its str3 for open top.
As far a loadout, you're dead on.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I usually skip the blaster to budget for the splinter rack. Twin linking all those shots is lethal and helps plink away at fmc as well.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Drop the blaster. Don't ever mix AT and AI. Especially not with Dark Eldar.

It's why Scourges are a complete waste of time.

9 Kabalites
1 Kab w/ Splinter cannon
Splinter racks

I don't like Splinter Racks - they make your stupidly fragile transports even more expensive, and require you to be in the Raider. Staying in your Raider is a bad move. With a Str4 hit per Warrior when it explodes( and believe me it's when not if), you'll almost always lose more than half the squad. You're not Space Marines - squads get far less functional when they get down to 4 or 3 Warriors. Always try and disembark and get behind your Aegis Line at the earliest opportunity, and then retreat with your vehicles to make use of their range and maneouvrebility.
So if you have a transport that is 75pts + a squad that costs roughly 100pts, and you creep up and unload 24-26 twin-linked poisoned shots at a 3+ to hit, you don't think you can make back their points value or more on just that one turn of shooting? I would like to see what your dice rolls look like, and who your opponents are. Because I am fairly certain I've never been that unlucky.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Drop the blaster. Don't ever mix AT and AI. Especially not with Dark Eldar.
I disagree here (personal opinion) - I struggle to get the 20+ Dark Lances you need at anything over 1750pts without bringing Blasters on my Kabalites and a pair of Trueborn squads with Blasters (yeah, the most cost-effective is Ravagers, but you can't get anti-air without Razorwings/Voidravens unless you're going with a good anti-air Ally).

So if you have a transport that is 75pts + a squad that costs roughly 100pts, and you creep up and unload 24-26 twin-linked poisoned shots at a 3+ to hit, you don't think you can make back their points value or more on just that one turn of shooting?
Making your points back is a fallacy. You can make twice your points back but if you don't end the game on objectives, you lose. And when your 75pts transport is very vulnerable to even a thrown Krak Grenade? I kept my Raiders at 60pts and disembarked turn 1, because I knew that they wouldn't survive past turn 2. The only exception was Night Shields, which make you less vulnerable to Rapid-Fire and Necrons in general.

Secondly, I always found it hard to 'creep up' with an AV10 Open-Topped transport that has a big old footprint. It's not exactly difficult to draw Line of Sight to a Raider, and if your opponent's letting you get to within 12" of his dudes, he's doing something very wrong.

I would like to see what your dice rolls look like, and who your opponents are. Because I am fairly certain I've never been that unlucky.
Dice were average/low (very low in one peculiar situation - I played roughly 13 games with my Dark Eldar, and I lost my Archon with Shadowfield to Instant Death on four different occasions. But that's not really relevenant). Opponents were a mix of Necrons, Space Wolves/Guard, CSM/Guard, and Craftworld Eldar. Necrons, I couldn't damage their tanks. Space Wolves, I couldn't drop their Long Fangs or LRBTs before turn 2. Chaos, couldn't kill their Noise Marines, Heldrake or Obliterators in most games (the few I did manage to kill those units I usually won, however - never dropped the Heldrake, but it came on late once or twice). Eldar, I could beat as they were quite heavily Wraith-focussed and this was the old book, before they were any good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts