Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a combined squad of 3 infantry squads, each with a mortar team, and a heavy weapon squad of 3 autocannons. The battle was a disaster (as usual) for a variety of reasons, and in contemplating what I could have done better I am wondering if I didn't have it backwards. My initial thought had been that mortars and lasguns like the same targets (in my case Ork boyz) and that autocannons are better saved for trukks, kans etc. - the initial vision was autocannons open up a trukk and lasguns/mortars/grenades kill the inhabitants. But mortars, being barrages, can fire indirectly, so I can put them behind some obstacle, and I can use generic infantry models to absorb hits that would otherwise be killing autocannons. I tend to give my combined squads grenade launchers, and firing krak grenades is also an acceptable choice for firing at typical autocannon targets, and autocannons aren't as much of a waste shooting infantry as lascannons. The point cost is the same either way, but it looks like survivability is slightly better with the mortars independent and behind an obstacle and the autocannons with ablative wounds. I suppose in theory missle launchers might do well (though they're more expensive) as they can fire frag missles if infantry is the target, but if I'm only getting one shot per launcher I'd prefer something that stands a better chance against the new vehicle damage table.

Which is the better way to organize the platoon?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I play Autocannons in my platoons because it makes the most sense. Decent Strength and rate of fire, they take out AV10/11 respectably and do good damage to Monstrous Creatures. I don't use Mortars, but if I did it would be separately and out of sight to take advantage of Barrage as you have concluded.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I prefer to try to only take missile launchers and lascannons on BS4 guardsmen like Vets and CCSes, myself. If I can Prescience the unit, cool, though, that makes it less necessary. Missile launchers do have the potential anti-horde there, too, which is nice, but I do like the high S and decent number of shots an autocannon can throw out for dirt cheap.

But yeah, mortars, if you take them, tend to be best off on their own--but I honestly don't know if I'd take them at all, given that autocannons are only a hair more expensive...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mortars are an experiment that I want to be sure I'm giving a fair shot before consigning them to the shelf (I wouldn't even be doing that if I fought anyone other than orks). Realistically the Wyvern does the same job much better for a very low cost (though using a HS slot).

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Mortars could work in your application, I would prefer other HS options to the Wyvern pretty much every time but I love big guns (wow, $67 for a 65 point model just saw that).

Just straight looking at stats, the only thing you're missing out on is Shred. Ignores Cover on an AP6 weapon I find to be a little useless. I had to delete my comment about keeping a CCS handy for the Ignores Cover Order, 'cuz who cares at AP6. Shred makes the difference between Lightning Claws and Power Swords, even with one less attack with Lightning Claws, but given that you have a Blast template and you're shooting three of them I wonder in this instance if the Wyvern is really going to consistently put out more damage than a Heavy Weapons Team.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I would prefer other HS options to the Wyvern pretty much every time but I love big guns (wow, $67 for a 65 point model just saw that).
And as many dollars for Sentinels as they cost in points, too! So two of the best units...

Luckily, I have enough Havoc Launchers sitting around to convert up 2 Wyverns, once I get those tank hulls from a friend...

A Wyvern is also twin-linked--meaning you can reroll every template's final position (and most importantly, the first one's). Plus each Wyvern has 4 blasts, compared to a Mortar Squads's 3 shots.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A brief note on orders - I'd actually been looking at using the pinning order with them. With the new "mob rules" it's no longer a gimme roll and if the unit is still large and containing a nob there's something like a 5 in 6 chance of doing a bonus d6 s4 hits.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
How does Pinning generate a bonus D6 S4 hits? Pinning just forces a Ld test if you cause a Wound, consequence for failing being the unit Goes to Ground.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The "Mob rules" for orks - unlike the old rule where they gained leadership, now a failed roll (on a Ld 7) results in a roll on a separate table, several results of which result in the unit not breaking/being pinned but suffering d6 S4 hits as the bigger orks assert dominance. Similar to how comissars work.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Crazy. Are Ork blobs still Fearless so long as they remain above a certain number of models? If so that may throw a monkey wrench in the plan there, but not a very big one. I haven't checked out their new Codex at all since I haven't faced a greenskin in a couple years now (aside from in Space Marine).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Orks are not fearless in large numbers, but having a character (or enough bodies) functions kind of like a comissar. If there are 10+ orks including a nob, they will pass 5/6 of failed morale tests at the cost of a few broken bones (10+ without a character has a 3/6 chance). If there are 10- including a nob they have a 2/6 chance of passing a failed test at the cost of a few broken bones. They always have a 1/6 chance of just plain passing if they're in hand to hand.

I've fought nothing but orks in getting on 3 years so I pay a lot of attention to the codex (not that it helps).

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Humbug to that, it always pays to know your opponent's army as well or better than they do. Deployment, the Movement Phase, and dice are the biggest variables in my games.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts