Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just wondering what people thought was the best eldar hq option in 1500-2000pt games I usually run farseer and or an avatar

·
4,491 Posts
Farseer, Doom, Fortune, Spirt Stones, Runes of Warding.

Thats a pretty solid HQ choice for any game size.

Aramoro
x2

Pretty much the only Eldar HQ i would run for JetSeer.
MechDar id consider a cheap DoomSeer or GuideSeer to compliment Dire Avengers or Fire Dragons, but id much rather run him as a Doom/Fortune JetSeer.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Definitely farseer. In a game of 1500 points or over where you're using a farseer on foot, Eldrad. If you're going the spirit stones foot seer route, Eldrad is totally worth the upgrade for his 3 powers a round choosing from the whole list, 2 of which can be identical, and his redeployment stuff. The fact that when he fortunes his own 3+ invuln he becomes nearly invulnerable is nice too.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Usually an Avatar and an Autarch, or two Autarchs, or two Phoenix Lords, or an Avatar and a Phoenix Lord; I rarely run a Farseer, and in spite of the fact I run an Ulthwe' army, never use Eldrad.
Then again, my first army ever was Dark Eldar, so I see psychers as a sort of amusing crutch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Farseer, my personal fav is Doom, Guide, RoWard, Stones. Good as a support char and compliments nearly any other units. Fortune is also a power worth having and while I don't use it its purely because the doom/guide combo for me is the tippy top.

I've tried Autarchs and he failed me completely, which is a shame as the model is cool. I think if your only running one HQ, the Farseer has to have it, if two then a second Farseer is awesome but an Autarch or the avatar is also viable.

Panzer

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yeah, in terms of overall usefulness Farseers rule the day. They can just potentially add so much more to your entire army, rather than making a small section fearless or letting reserves come in that much faster.

Autarchs are only recommended under the strictest of conditions, and the Avatar only approaches greatness with Farseer support. Both need to be in an army specified to adhere to the tactics the provide/demand. Whereas a Farseer fits well enough into any army not to change its tactics but to bolster them.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Dual Autarchs is really the only other 'good' HQ choice, then you're playing your 140pts for +2 to your reserve rolls in an All reserve list. Then you can spend a few points trying to buff them but don't go wild, they can and will be instant deathed by a stiff breeze.

Excepting the Phoenix Lords which are all a bit over costed the Eldar HQ's are all about support. Farseers just do that better than anyone else.

Aramoro

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Yriel so far. Why is that?

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Yriel is ok, he's same price as the Avatar though, so for someone ok that's not too great. Again T3, not Eternal Warrior makes him a bit fragile. I mean he is quite stabby at 5 Attacks on the Charge at WS6, wounding on 2's with no save or S9 against vehicles.

He works well in some assault units because he can throw is Spear at a tank to try and break it open before assaulting what's inside. It's just the Avatar does it better.

Aramoro

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
But you can't put the Avatar into a transport with Banshees, right? I thought that was the point, you kill everything before anyone could retailate.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
It really depends on the army really. Eldar are probably the most 'balanced' race at the moment because each and every HQ shines in it's own light.

Normal Autarch = Can be upgraded to do a little bit of everything. If kept cheap, he adds some reliable power weapon attacks to an Aspect unit. If running a DAVU army, then his +1 to reserve rolls is invaluble. The fact this can stack and be +2 if 2 Autarchs are present is pretty intense.

Farseer = Can be kept cheap and still can affect the battle. The ultimate 'buff' unit, his strength relies on making other units better.

Eldred = The ultimate Farseer. Very strong, and his abilites are next to unmatched in any other codex. As has already been mentioned, if you're going to tool up your farseer. Just take Eldred.

Avatar = Good armour, very strong and tough. This guy was given a new lease of life with an improved Inv save and some actually armour. basically carries a meltagun and makes all other Eldar units within 12" fearless. Only problem? he is slow.

Yriel = Just an ultra killy Autarch. If you're playing space marines, just take him. Phil Kelly basically must've thrown this guy in because he too is sick of marines. His LOLWTF bomb attack will ruin many marine players days. Not to mention he is a tank AND MC hunter all in one. Plus has the Autarch ability of +1 on the reserve role. Although costs teh same as an avatar, he can go in a transport. In my experience, he works very well alongside a big unit on Banshees. He wrecks the transport/characters, they deal with the rank and file.

Phoenix Lords = I did a tactica on these guys long ag, and I'm sure it's still in the tactica part of the forum. These guys just sum up the very best of each aspect.

-Asurman, my personal favourite. He is a bit of a midway character. good on defense, good on offense. But no more than good. Excells at killing light/medium infantry.
-Karandras, King of CC. better than everyone but abbadon. Sneaky git aswell.
-Maugan Ra, think of him as a hyper sniper. Can kill pretty much anything short AV13/14 with ease. Isn't a slough in CC either, which is pretty rare.
-Fuegan, When he is around, tanks are not. Highly reliable anti-tank at medium range, makes all those non EW characters shit themselves a bit.
-Baharroth, erm, I'd only bother with this guy in planetstrike or if you know you're up against either Orks or Imp guard. Very fast, and highly manuverable. Well worth the time to practise and learn to use him properly.
-Jain Zar, Another CC monster. Lack of an inv save is annoying, but EW sort of protects her from Powerfists, which, strangly enough, is what she needs to be fighting. Heavy infantry killer. Necron/CSM and SM beware.

Little summary.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
But you can't put the Avatar into a transport with Banshees, right? I thought that was the point, you kill everything before anyone could retailate.
Killing everything before they can retaliate is the worst option with banshee's sadly. If you charge and murder everything you'll be standing out in the open like twat and get shot to ribbons in your opponents turn. You need to be killy enough to murder most of a unit but not all of it, win the combat in your opponents turn and move on.

Aramoro

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Yriel so far. Why is that?
He's kinda situational. His best use IMO is as the Yriel bomb where he charges a unit solo and uses his eye on them when they're all gathered round. Other than that he's just as squishy as an autarch, more really since he wounds himself at the end of the game.

On autarchs, they're really only useful if you're doing an eldar reserve army, and eldar reserve armies aren't that effective. War walkers are about the only thing worth taking I'd want to outflank since they have the range to do something from either table edge, but really I'd rather just have them shooting from turn 1. The only other use I've come up with for an autarch is as part of a jetseer council. He costs about as much as 3 warlocks, has the same saves, has 3 wounds so is almost as tough as 3 warlocks, reduces the unit's footprint thus making them more mobile, and most importantly gets a power weapon into that unit. Either taking a laser lance for a much more devastating charge or a power weapon combined with the farseer's doom makes him a highly able combatant and saves that unit from getting tarpitted against terminators and whatnot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.