Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Saint Celestine model, though I wasn't a big fan of her cape (those cherubs really annoyed me), and I wanted her to look more angelic. So I ordered the "Diva Angel" wings piece from Reaper Miniatures.

My question is, what would be the best colour to paint wings in an angelic fashion?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Pure white.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I'd start from a dark teal base. Try mixing some Shadow Grey into some Hawk Turquoise (maybe a 2-1 mix favoring the teal). Then, paint each feather using Hawk Turquoise. You can drybrush the finer feathers, but I'd certainly paint a flat coat onto each of the major feathers. Be sure to leave some of the original color in the absolute deepest recesses.

Then, I'd apply a layer of Space Wolves Grey. I'd overbrush it, rather than apply a direct layer. It's ok if it gets into the recesses towards the tips of the feathers, but try to keep it out of the recesses as you get towards the base of each feather.

Now, you want to break out the white. -Very- lightly drybrush the feathers-- in order to maintain the fine detail, you need to go slowly and build up the effect over several passes. The way feathers are, a more "standard" drybrush will result in getting color in the recesses accidentally since the details are so shallow. When I paint wings, I usually build the white up over four or five successive layers.

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
I'd suggest a "warmer color as the base color, like a dark peach or dark skin tone color. Take a look at this image:

Note that the wings are "warm" as opposed to "cool", and go quite well with the colors gold and red- Typical colors used on Celestine and Sisters of Battle. Build it up as Horus suggested, but if it becomes too harsh or bright you can tone it down with a thinned wash of the base color.

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
And I stick by the "warm" base color- That way, it gives the model that warm glow that seems to mark the Emperor's favor...

All in all, I say the OP should experiment a bit and see what he likes the best- He's gone to the extra expense of getting the Reaper wings, so he wants the model to look special.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'd go for a very light colour of yellow. Maybe do the thing The Son of Horus said, but make the Shadow Grey= Iyanden Darksun
Hawk Turquoise = Goldenyellow
Space Wolves Grey = Bleached Bone
white= Skull White.

I think it'll create a divine colour. The Holy light always appears yellowish to me, so why not make the wings a little yellow? :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts