• 4th ed Tyranids (obsolete)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 4th ed Catachans (obsolete)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4th ed Space Marines (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Space Wolves (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Imperial Guard version 1 (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Imperial Guard version 2 (obsolete)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 3rd ed Orks (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Chaos Space Marines version 1 (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Chaos Space Marines version 2 (obsolete)

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • 3rd ed Blood Angels (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Dark Angels version 1 (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Dark Angels version 2 (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Eldar (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Craftworld Eldar (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Tau (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Catachans (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Tyranids (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Space Marines (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Dark Eldar (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Assassins (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Eye of Terror (obsolete)

• 3rd ed Armageddon (obsolete)

• Other

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, what was the best codex written?

Criteria include...
- Variety
- Multiple effective builds
- Fun to play
- Fluffy builds
- Effective under either the current or its intended ruleset edition.

Options are from 3rd/4th/5th edition.
While i was a big fan of 2nd ed, i feel they are too hard to compare to the current game. I like to think of it as a completely different game.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
5th ed wolves.

#1Lots of really nice model options.
#2Several, extremely, effective builds.
#3Fun as hell to play.
#4TWC build anyone?
#5 Hells yes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
3rd ed chaos because it was a master piece. it had great artwork, they had legion specific rules. none of that space pirate bullshit, their were tons and tons of chaos upgrades that the new codex just threw out like they never existed. daemon princes were more cheesy then. and the codex just looked great, it looked like GW cared about the army and the quality of the book was just great, it looked like more than just a rule book and more like a army book, every page was an asventure, i still read through the book to this day, and notice things that i have missed, or put list together that i would love to run. the new codex has aspects like lash and taking 3 vindicators, but GW took so much from us that we have lost more than gained from the new codex. i would love to write the next Chaos Codex because it would be awesome. besides you cant say that GW doesnt let other people write codexes for their armies because look how cheesy the Blood Angels an Imperial Gaurd Codexes are. but anyways the chaos 3rd edition codex is something to take to the bathroom with you and spank the monkey to.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
5th ed wolves.

#1Lots of really nice model options.
#2Several, extremely, effective builds.
#3Fun as hell to play.
#4TWC build anyone?
#5 Hells yes.
I second that

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Chaos Space Marines 3.5. The best codex GW every made. It had it all; tons of fluff, heaps of different army options, efficient builds, ridiculous amounts of customization,... You get the picture. *Nerdgasm*

·
Registered
314 Posts
Would've said 5th ed. nids before the FAQ, but then all the bullshit reserves rulings fucked over one of my favorite builds so oh well.

I'd currently say 5th. ed. marines:

1. It's got tons of choices.
2. Bikers, fast n' slow, shrikewing (kinda), Dual raider, thunderbubble, Vulkan, etc.
3. 50 bikes is hell fun, as are 30 hammernators and 2+ cover scouts
4. Bikers? Vulkan?
5. anything in Number 2 is great in 5th ed. if you're running it right

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
orks cause there probably the most fun race to play

·
Registered
242 Posts
The 3.5ed Chaos Codex. With all the legion special rules and all the ways you could customize it made it pretty damn cool. I also really liked the fact that you could use daemons with that one too.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I haven't actually seen the old Chaos 'Dex, so I vote IG. Van have many different builds, fits in the fluff, Orders are a nice touch, only thing bad is no more doctrines :biggrin: Although it more than makes up for it with all the tanks.

Midnight

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Craftworld Eldar- i liked the Black Guardians, Pathfinders (they were an Alaitoc only unit back then), the Court of the Young King etc

Some of the units are included in the current Codex like the aforementioned Pathfinders, but also Wraithguard and Jetbikes as troops but some of the things that made the various Craftworlds unique are missing (most notably Black Guardians).

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
In fact 3rd Edition was probably the most customizable edition, I never saw 2 armies that were the same, then again I was pretty young...

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
I voted for the old IG codex 'caus I'm still mourning the lose of Doctrines, voxes that actualy work like radios and Techpriests who can drive their own Chimera.

That being said the new ain't to bad, all the new tanks and artillery are good and squadroning lets you get more tanks but it's dangerous. I just wish Vets had stayed as Elites, or were 0-2 choice & you had to get a Platoon 1st for each if they had to be troops. But that's just me being tired of of all the Chim-Melta-Vet lists.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Cause obviously it couldn't be short for retard because that would anger me with the stupidity and arrogance of a comment like that.
This is an opinion thread.

I will definitely have to be bias and say that the 3.5 Edition Chaos Codex was the best. I certainly do miss all the customizable rules and the great fluff that was in it. Though, the obligatory Horus Heresy short in the 4th Edition codex was a tad better.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Chaos 3rd/3.5 ed. Anyone who disagrees is an utter tard.

*awaits flaming*
See, this would imply you belive people actually give a shit about your opinion.
:search:

Anywho.... Wait I already said what I wanted to say.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
This is an opinion thread.

I will definitely have to be bias and say that the 3.5 Edition Chaos Codex was the best. I certainly do miss all the customizable rules and the great fluff that was in it. Though, the obligatory Horus Heresy short in the 4th Edition codex was a tad better.
This a thread about which Codex you think is the best in your opinion, not that you think anyone who doesn't agree with you is mentally deficient.

I know he's joking so what...blah blah blah cant be bothered blah

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
3rd ed chaos because it was a master piece.
Chaos Space Marines 3.5. The best codex GW every made. It had it all; tons of fluff, heaps of different army options, efficient builds, ridiculous amounts of customization,... You get the picture. *Nerdgasm*
The 3.5ed Chaos Codex. With all the legion special rules and all the ways you could customize it made it pretty damn cool. I also really liked the fact that you could use daemons with that one too.
Chaos 3rd/3.5 ed. Anyone who disagrees is an utter tard.
I will definitely have to be bias and say that the 3.5 Edition Chaos Codex was the best.

As everyone already stated, C:CSM 3.5 raise the bar to the highest standard, I quit my Eldar just because of the fluffy builds in 3.5. Then came the dread Split of C:Daemons and 4th Edition C:CSM. It suks.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Codex armoured battlegroup
because it lets me use Tanks as troops...........thats the only reason I need.

dunno why the previous chaos "iron warriors" codex was so popular, all it ever encouraged was 1 type of army painted in silver to be done by every tom dick and harry, thats more 2D than a flat piece of blank paper.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
:shok: Stella, I actually agree with you on that one tbh. And no offence but its nice to have something other than a pessimistic comment out of you! (Treading dangerous ground here)

Midnight

1 - 20 of 47 Posts