Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best troop of your army and what is the worst troop of your army?

HQs are probably at the top of most everyone's list so let's leave them out of this. Barring HQs what are your choices? Which troops have shown exemplary skill in combat, which failed you at critical moments?

EDIT: yes I know I spelled Worst wrong :face palm:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Best troops in my army?

Berzerkers, as long as they take an Aspiring Champion avec power fist. There isn't a troop, elite, fast attack or heavy support they can't take.

The worst? Probably my dreddy, who has in five games failed to kill anything despite being in CC in every match and having a heavy plasma gun...useless swine.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Actually, my HQs tend to be my worst units. They're expensive, high profile, and delicate (even with a minimum of wargear). The only time HQs (especially toughness 4 or lower ones) usually excel is when you have them with a squad (but inevitably the squad is killed while protecting them, so before thinking of the awesome rampage your commander went on, think of all the troops that died to protect his butt). Like a dark eldar archon that got into melee with my troops and killed half a unit of warbikers and another couple nob bikers by himself. Thing is he lost 19 wyches and 2 raiders to accomplish this. So...go him. Generally there's just too many things out there that kill your commander dead and since they can be targeted separately in cc, that usually means powerfisted to death.

My biking warboss with his 7 str 6 attacks on the charge (wasn't using PK so that he had a chance to not wipe them out) and toughness of 6 charged a unit of 5 firewarriors, managing only to get 1 wound through and they nearly killed him. It was kind of a facepalm.

My best consistent unit is probably my nob bikers though. They're expensive, so they'd better be good. They consistently dismantle my opponent's best units and cleave through the others like a scythe. They're decently shooty with their dakkaguns and are possibly the toughest unit in the game vs. ranged firepower (T5, 4+ cover, 4+ armor, 5+ invuln, 4+ invuln when turboboosting, feel no pain). Powerfists ruin their day but that's why I have a bunch of unupgraded ones in the squad. And, of course, they tend to ruin the day of anything that has powerfists, so it works out.

My best inconsistent unit is my lootas. If they live, and if they're fighting an enemy that isn't a drop pod army, they put out some ridiculous firepower. Or they kind of flub and put out a decent amount of firepower. Drop pod armies tend to make them useless, especially drop pod+heavy flamer. They can also be killed on turn 1 by shooty armies, especially mobile ones like tau. They're profile is heavy so if you don't move them into position until turn 1 you can be sacrificing a large amount of firepower on an important turn. They've saved my bacon against skimmers and light armor plenty of times though. My shokk attack gun mek is a close second for best inconsistent unit. Sometimes he kills swathes of marines, and sometimes he rolls double ones on his first shot and instantly dies. Worth the hassle though, and funny to boot.

For my tau the award goes to my fireknife crisis suits. They're just so versatile. Deathrain suits are a close second due to their reliable 5 str 7 hits a round.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
IG Best: JO w/ Powerfist, Priest w/ Power Weapon, Psyker, 4 Flamers - Boy do these guys give assaulty opponents fits, lol.
IG Worst: Special Weapons Squad w/ Demo Charge, 2 Meltaguns - Even when I try and deepstrike these guys, they die before doing any harm to the enemy. They have managed to earn their piddly 75pts back once in over 100 games over 6 years.

Sisters of Battle: Undecided. Every unit has done very well, including the lone Immolator. I really cannot say that any of the units in my 1500pt list is the 'worst'.

Eldar Best: Vypers w/ Farseer backup - 3 Vypers with 21 rerollable Str6 shots and the speed to use them efficiently has been the game-winner for me so many times I can't count them all. Too bad the rumored 5th Edition rules will destroy this unit.
Eldar Worst: Falcon - Surprised? The Falcon has survived a grand total of 3 games in 3 years. For that very reason I refuse to use it as a transport. It does well as a gunship, but with low BS, even the Wave Serpent is more reliable. People still fear the Falcon and I use this to my advantage, though I believe that fear to be misplaced.

Necrons: Undecided. Until I get a few more games under my belt, I'll not be able to say with any certainty that any unit is performing worse that I had hoped.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My best is my 2 Obliterators because... well... they Obliterate and my worst hm well I'd have to say my storm troopers I deep striked em once and the got a 6 and landed in cover and died then the surviving three (out of ten) shot at the Orks with 2 Plasma guns and both rolled 1s and failed there saves and died and the seargeant killed one Ork with his Hellpistol and died.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
My best unit is probably seraphim. They can take on vehicles and troops as well as have faith points to boost things in their favour if necessary.

Worst unit is probably repetitia, but I think that was already a given.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I play dark angels and even though the codex is weak i like them. the strongest unit would have to be the tactical squads. super versatile, transportable and not a noticeable threat until mid game.
week would have to be anything in the codex that is not a basic marine or veteran. you spend too many points on bikes, terminators, dreadnoughts, tech marines, scouts, and any of the hq's (except maybe azreal) without a good return for them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
heavy flamers on drop trooping sents have been a reliable unit for me.
For 40 points you get a solo unit deepstriking who if lands almost always gets his points back. his flamer template has taken out eldar bikes, oark bikes, fire warriors, marines..everything. Add to this that they tend to explode because there open toped and well i have a 40 point unit thats killed 4 terminators.

Least effective.....leman russ, unsure why it just never seems to make it's points back as anything but a fire magnet.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Yeah... I've had that dropping Sent do a number on my, too, lol.

But I'm surprised that the LRMBT's have fared so poorly for ya.

And, yes, Sisters Repentia are not the be-all of the Sororitas, lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My best unit, its a close one between Pathfinders & Harliquins. (for obvious reasons) 5 pathfinders in a nice peice of cover survive shed loads of fire power from oppisition. While Harliquin troups can beast most CC units they get into combat with.

My consistant under performing unit has to be, Striking scorpions. I never seem to be able to get them in a good enough position to do any damage, either that or they just get shot up, there just not fast enough compared to my other units.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Haha I wonder if repenita are just a big practical joke by the rest of the SOB.

Repentia: Will I ever be forgiven sister?
SOB: Yes, here take this big chainsword and no armour and charge across the battlefield, after the battle you will be forgiven of your sins....*snicker snicker*

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah... I've had that dropping Sent do a number on my, too, lol.

But I'm surprised that the LRMBT's have fared so poorly for ya.

And, yes, Sisters Repentia are not the be-all of the Sororitas, lol.
Well it's not that they do poorly, they just don't seem to do enough, i actually usually have them at the end of the game. Part of my issue is i don't know how to use them and am far tou cautous with them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To answer my own question.
So far my worst unit has been my Fire Prism, in all the games I've played with it I've only managed to roll a hit 3 times. I even managed to miss on two rolls after I put Guide on it.

My best unit would probably have to be my Dire Avengers, point for point they've done more damage then any other unit in my army. Though I'm still liking my Warp Spiders. Bladestorm is awesome.

·
Registered
162 Posts
necrons- destroyers for the win, capture points with turbo boost, can take out most infantry ap4, and still move 12" and fire heavy 3d6 shots at S6. worst so far has been pariahs but, i dont think i've been using them right.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
marine:

best tactical squad 10 men strong sgt with p fist and a melta gun

worst: scouts

necron

best and worst warriors

khorne

best beserkers

worst a unit csm with lascannon and icon of khorne

·
Registered
5 Posts
every thing in my army tends to pull it wight evenily,...execpt my sentiel in 4 games it's lascannon has killed i termi. nothing else

·
Registered
30 Posts
For IG,
Best unit - My Sentinel squadron, usualy underestimated and overlooked by oppnents when theres 2 leman russ tanks on the table, they usualy go on to kill a ton of heavy infantry

Worst - Mortars, these should be great, but innacuracy and pants strength men they never kill anything for me

·
Registered
259 Posts
For my Daemonhunters:

Best - Eversor Assassin - 95 pts for a one man squad tank/killing machine, always makes his points back

Worst - Purgation Squad - Way too expensive (more then GKT squad) and infinitely less useful

For my Orks:

Best - Biker Nobz with Waagh Banner, 2 Power klaws, Boss Pole and Painboy all with Cybork bodies. Criminally exepensive but with great stat line, 4+ norm save, 5+ inv, 4+ cover and FNP save, tonnes of STR 10 attack and move 24" and charge 18" whats not to like

Worst - Grots - Only have one use as it stands and thats to Absorb SAG misfires. Only unit that makes IG conscripts look skilled

1 - 20 of 30 Posts