Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Being an Astra Militarum player, I am fully aware that they do not really need allies, the army is pretty strong by itself but if I were to expand my armies, what would be your best choice for battle brothers with AM?

I Have never played Space Marines and I have no idea which faction would be better. I have a little bit of Grey Knights, some Dark Angeld from Dark Vengeance and a few Space Wolves...All models I have never used.....

I have gotten into my AM big time lately and I would love to create an ally army composed of Imperial troops....Would really like to hear about which chapter would be best and why...also hearing about crazy combo could be cool too...

Tks for your help.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
You can make Azrael out of the DV Balthazar model quite easily, I use him now (thanks to MidnightSun's advice) in a blob of Guard to give them a 4++ save. Check out pics in my Deathwing plog (link in signature) to see how easy it was to pull off.

I have been ripping pretty hard with Blood Angel Drop Pods as an ally, typically a Fragioso or two and a Melta Gun equipped Assault squad embarked.

The Inquisition is also a fun time since they can take Rad Grenades (-1 to opponent's Toughness first round of combat), gives Stubborn and Ld10, can be a Psyker (though Prescience is a bit harder to cast than it was before, I would be tempted more to use Primaris Psykers in this role), and can also bring Servo Skulls which greatly benefit Deathwing and Drop Pod armies.

A Guard blob with an Inquisitor and Azrael attached to it is a fun time. Give the Sergeants Power Axes so they're attacking at S4 AP2 (and I1, but whatever when you have I3 base), combined with Rad Grenades (wounding on 3+ round 1 of combat against MEQ), Azrael (4++ save), and Prescience....well, I'm sure you see where this is going.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well there is always centurions......
I personally hate the damn things, but that dont change the fact that they are really good.

Although im not sure if there is any marine hq i would particularly want

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Personally, I'd recommend Dark Angels with Azrael to give your blob a - wait a minute...

You can make Azrael out of the DV Balthazar model quite easily, I use him now (thanks to MidnightSun's advice) in a blob of Guard to give them a 4++ save. Check out pics in my Deathwing plog (link in signature) to see how easy it was to pull off.
Okay then, you win this round ntaw.

I'd probably bring an Inquisitor, preferably from Codex: Inquisition to give you access to Liber Heresius rather than the GK one...

Wait a second...

The Inquisition is also a fun time since they can take Rad Grenades (-1 to opponent's Toughness first round of combat), gives Stubborn and Ld10, can be a Psyker (though Prescience is a bit harder to cast than it was before, I would be tempted more to use Primaris Psykers in this role), and can also bring Servo Skulls which greatly benefit Deathwing and Drop Pod armies.
Y'know what, I think ntaw has this one.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Hahahaha mostly knowledge I garnered from our talks, @MidnightSun :drinks:

...and I failed to bring up the Liber at all, so there you go.
But on the other hand, a GK inquisitor has a shot at getting Hammerhand... +2 S guard blob against -1 T enemies! Then your base guard will be wounding enemy MEQ on 2+, let alone power axe sergeants...

Ok, only a 1-in-6 chance to roll it, true. But wouldn't Azrael+Sanctuary be nice? And remember, C:I inquisitors perils on doubles for Sanctic, but not C:GK inquisitors...

(Had an opponent actually run Malefic powers on his C:I inquisitors/henchmen last game I played, honestly. Backed up by his GK power dice pool... scary, if he hadn't perilsed and failed to cast his Possession on 8 dice.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts