Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have old metallic Be'lakor model that has never seen tabletop as Be'lakor and with a horrible paint job. But as I nowadays collect chaos space marines and daemons it's time for him to step out from the shadows of the cabinet.

I just found this picture of someone's Be'lakor that looks very good in my opinion and would suit very well in my Black legion paint themed army:

The problem is, I have no idea how the yellow/goldish parts of the skin have painted. Or the horns & spikes at the top of the wings. If someone could help me out how to achieve that outcome (even brand new ideas for color scheme are welcome) I would be most pleased. I also like the way GW painted Be'lakor looks but maybe in darker tone.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
The skin looks like a series of browns, but I'm just guessing as the image isn't very large so I'm kind of guessing. It might be flesh tones with a dark wash and then overbrushing to hit the high points.

There are a lot of ways to do horns honestly, most of which involve painting some kind of bone color, washing the bone and then painting the original bone color on the raised sections and then doing a highlight on the most raised points on the horns (ridges and the like) with a very small amount of white or a lighter bone color (or a layer of the lighter bone color then a layer of white).

I'd poke around for tutorials and see if you can find any effects you like and go from there, that's always been my method.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for editing my post to include the picture. The "insert image" function hasn't worked for me so far but now I tried it again and now it magically started to work.

The skin looks like a series of browns, but I'm just guessing as the image isn't very large so I'm kind of guessing. It might be flesh tones with a dark wash and then overbrushing to hit the high points.
Sadly, I think I have like 1 brown color that I have used like years ago. Anyway it might be the case that with the colors I will end up using the end result might be better than this so let's not put our hopes down :grin: (even though I doubt I will be able to paint my be'lakor that well)

There are a lot of ways to do horns honestly, most of which involve painting some kind of bone color, washing the bone and then painting the original bone color on the raised sections and then doing a highlight on the most raised points on the horns (ridges and the like) with a very small amount of white or a lighter bone color (or a layer of the lighter bone color then a layer of white). I'd poke around for tutorials and see if you can find any effects you like and go from there, that's always been my method.
Guess I'll be doing just that. Thank you for your advice :good:Just put my be'lakor to swim in fairy power spray pool so I will be able to start painting someday.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Hmm without trying it myself, I would give a guess as to the flesh parts:

1) Base with Skag Brown
2) Wash with Aggrax Earthshade
3) Highlight layer 1 with Bestigor Flesh
4) Highlight layer 2 with Kislev Flesh

That should get you in the near vicinity of that flesh. Remember to thin down your paints with Medium for Highlight 1 and 2 :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hmm without trying it myself, I would give a guess as to the flesh parts:

1) Base with Skag Brown
2) Wash with Aggrax Earthshade
3) Highlight layer 1 with Bestigor Flesh
4) Highlight layer 2 with Kislev Flesh

That should get you in the near vicinity of that flesh. Remember to thin down your paints with Medium for Highlight 1 and 2 :)
By medium you mean lahmian medium? And how much do you thin it down and how? Sorry for noob questions but i have yet to use the medium and i usually thin down my paints on a pallet with a bit of water from the brush.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
By medium you mean lahmian medium? And how much do you thin it down and how?
Exactly. Well either that or any other brand you can find. I use the Lahmian medium and it works just fine :)

It depends on your patience really. The rule-of-thumb is that the more you thin it down, the better transitions you will get - But the more layers you will need. So it all depends on how much patience you when painting the model. Myself, I got for a 1/1 mix when doing highlights - It usually covers in 1-2 layers and it looks good. You can see a example of how it's done in my painting tutorial with the Great Unclean One, even though it's with other colors - The technique is the same though. You can find the link in my signature :)

You can use water too, but Medium covers and paints better as it doesn't split the molecules in the paint. Because of that, I would always recommend using Medium instead.

If you have anything else mate, just ask away!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm without trying it myself, I would give a guess as to the flesh parts: 1) Base with Skag Brown 2) Wash with Aggrax Earthshade 3) Highlight layer 1 with Bestigor Flesh 4) Highlight layer 2 with Kislev Flesh That should get you in the near vicinity of that flesh. Remember to thin down your paints with Medium for Highlight 1 and 2

Thanks for your advice too! I have to make a final decision about the paints and make a little shopping list for them.

Now as I was thinking this in my head... it occurred to me that maybe this painting scheme could be applied to some of my other daemons too?!

I'm using these as my Daemonettes, currently have only 10 of them. Also I have Skaarlys from the same manufacturer that counts as herald/alluress. Maybe painting the skin with brown/yellowish and the claws with black/grey colors?

I don't know what you guys think but this could very well in my opinion make the daemons fit the theme of my Black Legion CSM army. But then we come to the problem of how to paint the rest of the daemons... This theme might not suit very well to... say bloodletters or flesh hounds.

Opinions?

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Hehe well I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to the basic troops of the Daemons. HQ's and special characters I have no problem free-styling (I love that Bel'Akor look for example) but the basic troops I always prefer some variation of the defined color theme.

But that's just me :p Those are some nice models though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts