Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ninja
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd attampt for newby, trying to get 2000pt. Please criticize.

Lords-
Liche High priest (Hierophant) w/ Hieratic Jar, cloak of the dunes, dispell scroll, serpent staff. 340pt

Heroes-
Tomb prince (General) w/ light armour, shield, blade of setep. 154pt
Liche Priest w/ casket of souls, Golden ankhra 325pt
Liche Priest w/ skeletal steed, staff of mastery 163pt

Core-
16 skeletal heavy horsemen w/ musician, champion, standard bearer, war banner 316pt
10 Skeleton warriors 80pt

Special-
3 Chariots 120pt
10 Tomb Guard w/ champion, musician, standard bearer, banner of the undying legion 175pt

Rare-
Screaming Skull Catapult w/ skulls of the foe 110pt

Total- 1943

·
Registered
266 Posts
By the looks of the list your tactic would be sitting back and shoot/magic your enemy to pulp with strong flanking countercharges, right?

Whatever you do I really suggest you drop the horsemen. From what I've heard they never are that good, also having 16 in one unit is way to much. In my opinion you would be better of dropping the horsemen and switch them for 20 skeleton spearmen and some tomb scorpions. You really need that unit of combat skeletons to soak up enemies after your barrage and one unit of tomb guard just wont be enough. The tomb scorpions are really important in harrying the enemies infantry and other shooting units. No tomb king army should leave home without at least on of the buggars.

:victory:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
By the looks of the list your tactic would be sitting back and shoot/magic your enemy to pulp with strong flanking countercharges, right?

Whatever you do I really suggest you drop the horsemen. From what I've heard they never are that good, also having 16 in one unit is way to much. In my opinion you would be better of dropping the horsemen and switch them for 20 skeleton spearmen and some tomb scorpions. You really need that unit of combat skeletons to soak up enemies after your barrage and one unit of tomb guard just wont be enough. The tomb scorpions are really important in harrying the enemies infantry and other shooting units. No tomb king army should leave home without at least on of the buggars.

I'm not sure, you can always use the horsemen to countercharge and because they are fear causing and are always going to outnumber the enemy with unit strength of 32 you've got a good chance of breaking them.

Scorpions are always good :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Do keep in mind that your opponent will also see your horsemen as the biggest threat right from the start. Therefore it is only reasonable to think that they will draw probably all enemy fire when they have the chance for it. And as you know skeletal horsemen do not have the greatest armour save around (4+ or 3+?). This means that before your horsemen ever reach the line they will be severely reduced in unit strength if not wiped out.

Just think about what you would do if your enemy has a bigger fire base than yours. You can't sit back cause he will outshoot you and you haven't got the power to efficiently counter attack. That is why two scorpions are so vital to your battle plan. If he outshoots you then you can neutralise some of his artillery or other shooting units granting you the upper hand in the shooting extravaganza.

Consider all I've just said, use it or ignore it, but my tomb king knowledge streches no further.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The Horsemen really aren't worth it. Especially with so many ItP units around these days. Their points are better spend on Scorpions and making your Tomb Guard slightly bigger, because if they get charged they won't stand a chance. Otherwise Ushabti are always a good option, or maybe even a second SSC.

Good luck.

·
Ninja
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re-worked my list here is the new list.

Lords-
Liche High priest (Hierophant) w/ Hieratic Jar, cloak of the dunes, dispell scroll, serpent staff. 340pt

Heroes-
Liche Priest w/ staff of mastery 155pt

Core-
2 Tomb swarm 90pt
8 Skeleton light horsemen w/ musician 119pt

Special-
3 Chariots 120pt
10 Tomb Guard w/ champion, musician, standard bearer, banner of the undying legion 175pt
Tomb spider 85pt
Tomb spider 85pt

Rare-

Total- 1998

·
Registered
93 Posts
well here goes, first of all i would say drop the serpent staff off of the high priest, it is realy realy usless, i would also recomend you do something about the tomb guard, they ar etoo small, rather drop the cariots and increase this size, I would recomend this because ive always felt that TK's chariots are made of match sticks, even against small units they fall apart in my experience.
if u dont want to drop the chariots then mabye drop the guard for another ssc? of cours ethen u would have to drop the casket :/ overall i would say the the extra caterpult is better :) if you drop the casket for a caterpult the you could spend the extra points on more tomb guard?

·
Registered
233 Posts

Lords-
Yeah, the Serpent Staff is counterproductive, since he will be flying AWAY from combat. Drop that, and consider another dispel scroll

Heroes-
I'd drop the Blade of Setep, you have more survivability (better armor save/parry)

Personally I don't like the SoM but both Liches are pretty solid

Core-
2 Tomb swarm 90pt
8 Skeleton light horsemen w/ musician 119pt
Light Horsemen are worthless in units whic are greater than 5, shave some points elsewhere (Blade of Setep, and take 2 minimum sized units. Other wise you have a solid core.

Special-
3 Chariots 120pt
Tomb spider 85pt
Tomb spider 85pt
Banner of the Undying Legion isn't that great on small units. Try bulking the Tomb Guard with numbers. The Spiders/Scorpions are great though, best units in the army.

Rare-
Another great choice.
Total- 1998
My thoughts written in a deliciousOrange.

Looks like this is a defensive list, much different from my own try getting more bodies into the Tomb Guard, and it should be decent.

·
Registered
442 Posts
in my opinion you want to drop the serpant staff tomb swarms light horsemen and charriots 2 bulk out ur rather famished tomb gaurd and get a unit of ushabti also 4 the prince give him a great weapon and vambraces of the sun

·
Ninja
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Lords-
Liche High priest (Hierophant) w/ Hieratic Jar, cloak of the dunes, 2 dispell scroll, 340pt

Heroes-

Core-
3 Tomb swarm 135pt

Special-
3 Ushbati 195pt
Tomb spider 85pt
Tomb spider 85pt

Rare-

Total- 1998

·
Registered
93 Posts
much better :) but i still say that the tomb guard are too small :/ mabye drop them for a block of 20 warriors with shields and a standard :/ or drop the 3 tomb swarms and add 10 tomb guard to the unit and a standard? otherwise looking much better :D

·
Registered
617 Posts
Take 20 Tomb Guard, otherwise they are not worth taking. I would personally drop the swarms if you're gonna take 2 Scorps. Bone giants are pretty good... unstoppable assault is ridiculous against many core choices. If they don't run away, you'll probably kill them all, and if you don't they'll run away and you can pursue them. Against core heavy armies switch some things for a bone giant.

·
Registered
93 Posts
or two giants :D thats wha i take :) shadowhawk you ar ethe first person on a forum i have ever found who has said that bone giants ar egood for something, thank you :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
i take two in 2k :)

·
Ninja
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re-worked my list here is the new list. This is still for 7th edition.

Lords-
Liche High priest (Hierophant) w/ Hieratic Jar, cloak of the dunes, 2 dispell scroll, 340pt

Heroes-

Core-
2 Tomb swarm 90pt

Special-
20 Tomb Guard w/ champion, musician, standard bearer, banner of the undying legion 295pt
Tomb scorpion 85pt
3 Ushbati 195pt

Rare-

Total- 1989

·
Registered
93 Posts
its looking better :) i will get back to you if i spot anything :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts