Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm a beginner at painting miniatures... very fun so far. After a little bit I figured out that it was much easier to put a mix of water into my paint instead of taking it right from the pot, but then I ran into a minor complication.

What's the most effective way to get the paint onto the palette, without wasting a considerable amount?

I tried a dropper but that didn't work out to well..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you just glob some paint onto and old brush and kinda knock it onto the palette basically?

Either way you're going to lose paint I guess.. unless i'm thinking of something completely different :?

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Yeah, you're going to lose a little bit with pots. Eventually, you'll want to move over to Reaper or Vallejo, and those come in eye dropper bottles, so not only are they better stored (as there's no air that sits stagnant in the bottle) but all the paint you take out goes on the pallate, and none gets wasted on a brush as a go-between.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The Son of Horus said:
Yeah, you're going to lose a little bit with pots. Eventually, you'll want to move over to Reaper or Vallejo, and those come in eye dropper bottles, so not only are they better stored (as there's no air that sits stagnant in the bottle) but all the paint you take out goes on the pallate, and none gets wasted on a brush as a go-between.
I may be in the minority, but I really don't like the vallejo paints nor do I like using a palate.

First off, the amount lost is negligible. $3 for a pot of paint, you'll use it for months. Meh, you're getting your $3 out of it. I know the GW paints are EXACTLY the color I want.

I don't need to mix very much. If I do, I do it once in a while, and use old pieces of cardboard from the GW boxes. Then I use a paintbrush to mix.

I hate the eye-dropper bottles. They get all gummed up at the end and I have to keep putting out a drop's worth...or I use TOO much, and waste it. IMO it's a pain in the ass for a negligible payoff in price.

That's just me of course. I know a lot of guys swear by the Vallejo paints. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
811 Posts
i have a neat strategy for mixing small batches of paint (enough for 1 or 2 minis

I use the bottoms of the standard infantry bases (the black 1" ones) i put a bit of both colors I am going to use in there and mix em, then a tiny dab of water, and heres the clincher, I put it on my table when I am not using it and put a bottlecap (from a beerbottle) over it, it keeps the air away and keeps it usable for hours. with 2 drops of water it'll even keep it for a day.

mainly I use this to mix up enough for drybrushing., if you're actually going to be painting the minis with these colors, you'd probably want a mixing pot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts