Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I've been playing 40K now for about 2-3 months, and my main army is the Orks (Thanks to 40K : Space Marine as they just looked amazing in it!) I had a couple questions and so I called up GW to ask them. I was surprised to find out that they do not do rule support (Then why bother printing rulings if you're not going to try to process them?) So my first question, Ghazgkhull's WAAGGH!
... Reads as "Thrakka's saving throw is invulnerable." We have a ruling arguement over this as it's 50/50 in house (I'm the LGS owner actually.) Does this make his armor save into an invul save (in which said case, why not print it as such or even in a FAQ?) or does this make him temporary invul and passes all saves?

Second, my main customer plays Eldar, which apparently just own face left and right. He is using his Shining Spears as Resv, sends them in on turn 2 right behind heavy vechs or campers in the back, moves, shoots, assaults, then hits and runs back into reserves. I believe that is massively incorrect, but I do not have access to his Codex.

For clarification, we are still playing 6th ED until most of the player base updates. (2 weeks possibly)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Hi man, welcome to the board.
1) it means his armour save become an invulnerable save. the wording is quite clear, just change the tipe of save.
2) i..can't..don't..even... that is sooo wrong. It's basically against the rules in every aspect.
unless i'm mistaken: he can't just "send them in on turn 2", he need to pass a reserve roll.
he is using the Outflank rule, but should roll to determine on which side of the board they show (not the enemy table edge, the right or left edge)
Also, you can't assault the turn you arrive from reserve and then, shining spears don't have hit and run...so he can't use that rule.
And, of course you cannot return in reserve unless you are a flyer that moves off the table.
I suggest everyone reread the BRB and always, always, always lose ten minutes to find the appropriate rule in the manual if something look odd. otherwise you will be playing a different game ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi man, welcome to the board.
1) it means his armour save become an invulnerable save. the wording is quite clear, just change the tipe of save.
2) i..can't..don't..even... that is sooo wrong. It's basically against the rules in every aspect.
unless i'm mistaken: he can't just "send them in on turn 2", he need to pass a reserve roll.
he is using the Outflank rule, but should roll to determine on which side of the board they show (not the enemy table edge, the right or left edge)
Also, you can't assault the turn you arrive from reserve and then, shining spears don't have hit and run...so he can't use that rule.
And, of course you cannot return in reserve unless you are a flyer that moves off the table.
I suggest everyone reread the BRB and always, always, always lose ten minutes to find the appropriate rule in the manual if something look odd. otherwise you will be playing a different game ;)

This is what I thought. I know that 40K isn't balanced, but this all seems absurd. I myself have yet to read the BRB in much detail, (I'll probably read the 7th one) because I've only worried about my own rulings for now, and Ork really don't have a whole lot besides the basics. I'll try to take notes on these things and point them out to him. That'll help me massively.

As for rolling for Resv, he does but they always come in from my deployment zone.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Without a special rule, units coming in from Reserves must come on from the owning players table edge. Spears have Outflank which means they may come in from the side edges but they must roll to see which edge it is. They do have access to Hit and Run through Exarch powers. (BAD Nerferhet!)

I would definitely encourage a good reading of the new book.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mk, so does the Outflank rule allow them to be deployed on the tables sides in the back corners of my deployment zone? If so, all I would have to do is block up the left and right sides of my deployment zone to stop this yes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, another question here. Stikk Bombs are treated as Frag Grenades, there is no profile or special rule section on them though, so what's/where do I find the profile for them at?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I was surprised to find out that they do not do rule support (Then why bother printing rulings if you're not going to try to process them?)
This is because GW intentionally leave rules up to player interpretation. The 6th ed BRB say it quite clearly that they are guide lines. Its up to you and your opponent to decide how to interpret the rules. (ill get the exact wording later but i think most people know what im talking about.

I would suggest keeping bookmarks on certain pages of the book. Specifically where the special rules begin (pg 39 in the ild brb if im not mistake) as well as unit types and each of the phases. saves alot of time going back and forth. And if you are stuck on something check the index at the back of the book first.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Without a special rule, units coming in from Reserves must come on from the owning players table edge. Spears have Outflank which means they may come in from the side edges but they must roll to see which edge it is. They do have access to Hit and Run through Exarch powers. (BAD Nerferhet!)

I would definitely encourage a good reading of the new book.
awww sorry master... i was not considering exarch...

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Well, if it was swooping hawks instead of Shining Spears, that liturgy would be more appropriate. Deep strike in, throw grenades shoot, and then skyleap back out. But it sounds like the Eldar player is mishmashing a few rules.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Alright, another question here. Stikk Bombs are treated as Frag Grenades, there is no profile or special rule section on them though, so what's/where do I find the profile for them at?
i haven't got a book in front of me Kaldorain but there is a profile for them in the BRB. we were looking for it once before. look up grenades in the index section i think it is under special weapons.

I am at home now just got my 6thed book out frag grenades are assault grenades under the grenades section you will find there profile
range 8 str3 ap- assault 1, blast page 61 in the little rulebook

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Mk, so does the Outflank rule allow them to be deployed on the tables sides in the back corners of my deployment zone? If so, all I would have to do is block up the left and right sides of my deployment zone to stop this yes?
Yes and yes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts