Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all.
I'm facing off vs. WoC in a friendly match this week. I can't play against them in my usual manner, but have to work on a new strategy...one of surround and impact.
Here's my pass at the list, but still come up 62 points over and can't figure out where to shave it while not hurting the list.

2500 point Beastman army for 10/1/10
Lord:
• Khazrak one Eye: 270
• Doombull: Steel Claws, Ramhorn Helm, Dawnstone, Potion of speed, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armor= 342
(2+ AS, with re-rolls and attacks on anyone who fails to best his armor, starting at 6-8 attacks, possible 8 initative
Heroes:
  • Slugtounge: 190
  • Lvl 2 shaman: AHW, stone of spite, Lore of Beasts= 137
  • BSB: Heavy armor, shield, Banner of the true beast=185
  • Wargor: Heavy armor, sword of swift-slaying, luckstone, gouge tusks: 138
Core:
  • Ungor spearmen x 48: Banner, Musician= 297
  • Gor Herd x 20: AHW banner, musician = 140
  • Gor Herd x 20: AHW banner, musician = 140 *ambush*
  • Tuskagor Chariot: 80
Special:
  • Bestigors x 24: Manbane standard, Musician: 341
  • Minotaurs x3: AHW,HA, Bloodkine w/ Gold sigil sword : 222 (giving the BK some great initiative as well.)
Total: 2562…

I can't seem to lose the 62 points easily.
My first thoughts are to combine the gor herds and lessen the number to 30. Bam, there's 80 free.
or, lose the second gor herd and a chariot= freeing me up for a Razorgor chariot. Yes please to 4 str 6 attacks on the charge with PRIMAL FURY and impacts!!

using some great advice (thanks Khorothis), I dropped all champions from units due to the overkill that WoC would surely rack up. the only Heroes/ lords here are ones that can dish it out and can take it.

Khazrak: 2+ as, highest WS for beastmen & his dark mail makes crazy-insane magic weapons inert. (whew)

Doombull: fills a ton of roles. Gives the Minos frenzy out the gate for more attacks which SHOULD win combat. His impact hits are D3. On my charge i would use the cheap potion of swiftness for I 8 and with steel claws will get a load of attacks in. His armor save + ramhorn means he'll be getting tons of retaliatory attacks...even rerolls on failed AS for more attacks.

Wargor: ASF and AP attacks. This guy is the body guard of the BSB, so he should have the +1 str from the BSB and maybe even Wyssans for 4 possible str 6 attacks w/ armor piercing. If that's not enough to kill the WoC challenging him, he has the luckstone to try to keep him alive.

Bloodkine: high Initiative will let him strike before most non characters. Coupled with his frenzy and blood greed, this should be a flurry of blows.

Shaman: stone of spite once the Sorcerers are within range. I'm praying for a meltdown of the winds of chaos :spiteful:

I'm relying on lots of impact hits and having any unit they field hit on 2 sides if not more. The ambushing unit would hit a particularly dense unit from behind adding more to the CR.

The bestigors will stay in range of the BSB and hopefully find a nice flank or just hack into heavily armored units enough to allow the chariots a second flank on that unit.

the main line (ungor mass...NOT HORDE) will slowly move up, forming a V in my lines, while the sides rush outward then charge in as the warriors swoop in for the kill. With Wyssans, and luck, the Ungor could become str 5 T4 with their paltry 6+ as.

whew.

any advice would be appreciated.
*my math was off... the Gor herds have AHW....blast it....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My mistake on several things.

Sluggy is a lvl 2 shaman w/ acess to lore or death, shadow, wild
he has many nice abilities, including CURSE of the Famine fiend. This is the beastman's a-bomb and can often wipe out war-machines BEFORE The game starts, if placed properly.
so with him and the lvl 2, that makes two lvl 2 shaman. Not a bad amount.
I think I will go death, but shadow is too nice to ignore vs the WoC. -str, -ws....etc etc spells? very handy.

I think I might lose the Magical banner; banner of the true beast, on the BSB and just have him for re-rolled ldr/ primal fury. In this case, I'd deck him out in armor and either MR or Ward...maybe ward to help his group survive.

so for the BSB:
wargor, HA, charmed shield, Talisman of preservation.

Good points about the doombull...I may take away the luckstone, seeing as it's very expensive and maybe use those points for fitting my army.
or just substitute it for talisman of endurance for 5+ Ward Save...providing some protection. (on top of his 2+ as)

I don't think minotaurs can take magic banners. One of the huge beastman army flaws...only BSB and the Bestigors can use magic banners.

thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah...thanks for the correction.
Ward save for the doombull, then MR for the Large group?
I don't know. the Beast +1str banner is Huge for the strategy.
If I had managed more than 1 hour of sleep last night, perhaps I could think about this properly. For a cheaper version, there's the 'totem of rust' but won't help as much as a banner only 30 some points more.

I could add MR onto the shaman...but then this is more points. I may axe the ambushing unit....grr. The last thing I want to do. or I could take both chariots out and add a razorgor chariot...saving 15 pts....

oh decisions.

And Khorothis, I'd like to field 6 minos + doomy, but I'm not assembling more minotaurs till I'm done painting the current army...(even though the minos are 1/2 made)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow. Lots of great advice.

some fixes could be changing the DOOMbull for a GOREbull, relying on his frenzy and just hard hitting impact.
That would mean upgrading the Wargor to Beastlord.
even then, that would be a considerable savings in points...perhaps 100 right there if I budget right.

On the Khazrak debate:
Khazrak can only go toe to toe with Chaos Heros and some weaker lords. He is after all almost 1/2 the cost of most chaos lords. However, primal fury really does a ton to this fight. And the fact that he may have Wyssan's wildform and still be under the influence of the 'banner of the true beast', or does that not help in challenges?
Khazrak's weapon Scourge makes him an infantry butcher. Point for point, he is the best lord the beastmen have. Granted, that's my opinion, but he's affordable, provides nice ambush rolls and allows for decent leadership (9 for beastmen is the best we have) and can stand his own in most fights. WoC are just monsters when it comes to CC. This is an odd battle, both armies are good in CC, but WoC are more armored and like tanks. My goal is to surround them like annoying infantry and just clobber them

I may dump the doombull for a second unit of large Gors and equip the shaman/wargor with Crown of command for stubborn.

Back to the drawing board!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
main thing is to take out his magic in the end its all down to who can buff or de buff better and MoN can sure put the pain on CC army (the whole "you all have ST 3 T 3" wont go down well when vsing ST 5 T 4 with better amour saves)
that's what the stone of spite is for.
That and I plan on focusing on the unit with the magician. All else can be held by flanks or just worked on. Magician unit will be priority #1.

I have no idea what to expect from this CC battle, but it will be insane.
I'll adjust my list in a bit. But this is a friendly list, meaning I think that I'll shelve the Doombull for now. It just seems a bit too competitive for my tastes in a friendly match.
Plus the idea of filling out units and ADDING a whole unit + chariot for the same price is very compelling.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey all.

2500 point Beastman army for 10/1/10 take 2
Lord:
• Khazrak one Eye: 270

Heroes:
  • Slugtounge: 190
  • Lvl 2 shaman: AHW, stone of spite, Lore of Beasts= 137
  • BSB: Heavy armor, shield, Gnarled Hide, Banner of the true beast=200
  • Wargor: Heavy armor, sword of swift-slaying, luckstone, gouge tusks: 138
Core:
  • Ungor spearmen x 48: Banner, Musician= 297
  • Gor Herd x 26: AHW banner, musician = 223
  • Gor Herd x 26: AHW banner, musician = 223 *ambush*
Special:
  • Bestigors x 28: Manbane standard, Musician: 389
  • Minotaurs x4: AHW, Bloodkine w/ Gold sigil sword : 272 (giving the BK some great initiative as well.)
Total: 2498
Lost the Doombull. It seemed a bit much for a 'friendly match'.
Those points allowed me to fill out the other units and really help bring it in under cost.

sad to lose the beast of a doombull, but the minotaurs are for flanking and just grinding into large blocks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
should do well even though by the looks of it that army would get kick out for not being painted, :(
was a friendly match.
It did VERY well. (battle report later.)
MVPs were Slugtounge and Khazrak. Followed by the chariots

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
sorry to revive old thread.
I wanted to give feed back for all the people who helped with good advice.

We didn't get to finish the game, the store owner (opponent) had a meeting to get to. So here are the highlights. (sans usual dramatic flair)

Ambushing unit of gors: wow. They came out on the flank and really put the WoC at a disadvantage. They ate 'Tzeentch's treason' to the face but somehow survived the ldr test. That spell is simply nasty.

Ungor spearmen: buffed with Wyssan's and Banner of the beast, these guys held their own and dished out some for a cheap amount of points.

Slugtounge: took out 4 chosen at the start of the game! A few extra models perished, but nothing beats taking out the chosen. His death spells were a consistent threat. However, a lvl 4 tzeentch sorc dominated the magic phase and kept me shut down for much of the game.

Khazrak: scourge was fantastic. High WS that took out 9 marauders in one round (winning CR for me).

The wargor with ASF and armor piercing: Primal fury is fantastic. He slaughtered the WoC hero in the obligitory challenge. That many attacks, with boosted str (wyssan's) and armor peircing at re-rollable to hit? One dead expensive hero
- this combo will be in every army from now on as a good 'challenge bait'

Hellcannon: ouch. Ouch ouch.Bestigors took some nasty fire to this.

Marauder horsemen: very nice, posed a serious threat to my chariots. I would now take ungor raiders JUST to protect their flanks and take pot shots at the horsemen. Ungor raiders are amazing as is....odd list for me that I had zero on the table.

Minotaurs: impact hits were nice. They faced off vs. the chosen (with help of my chariot). They ate a ton of spells from a lvl 2 sorc and had their numbers dwindled to 2 by combat. Not only that, but their lower I made them bait for the chosen. Their impact hits were nice, however, for their price, not worth it. Bloodkine with I:10 (weapon) They managed a few hits on the chosen, but thankfully Sluggy and the CHARIOT did the work for them.

Chariots: d6 impact hits at 80 points? Yes please. They did the brunt of the combat vs the chosen. rolled 6 impact hits, 4 of those wounding. This made the combat. The minos would have been hacked apart w/o them. I will be certainly making and taking more chariots in the future.

thanks for the help.

Fury, gore and ruin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts