Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

For a local tournament at my GW shop our end goal army is a 3,000 point army. I'm relatively new to WHFB but have already shown some aptitude. (beating a 1k dwarf army, assisting in win over HE/ WE forces).
The list below is my goal army of 3k points. It has a good feel of several hordes and a boatload of ambushing. I feel that it plays up the confusion on the battle field that the beastmen bring and is one of their strengths. (Notes are in green.)

3,000 (potential) Army list.
BEASTMEN.
Lords:
Doombull: gnarled hide, Heavy Armor, Ramhorn helm, Brass cleaver, Dawnstone=332 Ideally this monster would enable a unit (gors or bestigors) w/ frenzy as well as just cut through ranks and characters. His attacks are numerous; anything in base contact w/ him, failed attacks and rerolled armor saves to enable more attacks. not bad at 2+ armor save and higher toughness. Just a monster.

Gorthor the Beastlord: upgrade to Razorgor Chariot: 415 A powerful hitter and tremendous boon to leadership. Also having a bound spell does not hurt a typically weak beastman magic phase

Total: 744

Heroes:
Slugtounge: 190 I love his Illness-A-Bomb way too much to give up. Poisoned attacks & regen are icing on the red velvet cupcake of this lvl 2 shaman

Wargor: BSB; wailing banner, Shadowhide, Heavy armor + Shield= 171 Essentially I want this guy to stay alive. nothing special. I was hoping to add him and his TERROR causing banner to the Bestigor unit

Brayshaman: lvl2, dispel scroll= 135 I hope I haven't gone overboard on magic, but a dispel scroll and some potent lore of beast magic can never hurt....theoretically

Total: 496

Core:
Chariot x2 = 160 once Gorthor is let loose, these guys are to assist him in taking out wreaking havoc/ warmachine killers/ flank smashers
Ungor Raiders: (10 per unit) Musician= 63 screeners. If they live, hooray. if not, i shed a tear for them.
Ungor Raiders: (10 per unit) Musician= 63 *ambush unit*
Ungor Raiders: (10 per unit) Musician= 63
Gor Herd: (26 per unit) SB, Musician= 223 a solid block. Ideally I will place the shaman in this unit. Potentially making them a monster when the +1 str/T spell is cast on them
Gor Herd: (26 per unit) SB, Musician= 223 *ambush unit*
Ungor Spearmen: (34 per unit) SB, Musician= 213 stubborn block with slugtounge in them. Lots of attacks and good to hold a line while more powerful units hack and slash. Cheap as all hell too.
The idea of the core force is to spread chaos everywhere on the battle field. with 20 ungor raiders screening the more potent units, 20 ungor raiders popping up behind the lines and a horde of ungor, I feel that the enemy will be properly distracted by a small army within their ranks, giving the harder hitters time to advance and completly surround them...or at least let them be unobstructed by warmachines

Total: 1071

Special:

Bestigors: (27 per unit) SB; Banner of swiftness, musician= 393 My favorite unit in the beastmen book. Armored, tough and strong as bejezus. This large unit will have 2 ranks of attacks (horde rules), cause terror, move faster (their sb) and potentially; have frenzy. *i am unsure of frenzy due to the 2 attacks (per rank) vs rerolling primal fear. Howver if the unit is terrified, their WS will be negligible. They can keep a good reign on their charges/bait status with the BSB and decent leadership

(was thinking of having them use the manbane standard for -1 on enemies ldr tests)

Total: 393

Rare:

Jabberslythe: 275 causing panick, pulling out characters etc etc. will help flank any pesky units the gors/ungors are stuck on and decimate

Ideally, I would LOVE to fit a cygor in here, for stonethrowing and more havoc, but where to find the points!?

*edit: if i ditched Gorthor and took Kazrak, that would give me most the points i need...=(*
Total: 275

Grand total: 2979

Still curious what to do with the remaining 21 points.

Two things of note:
no minotaurs: i love these guys, but for a viable unit of 6, it's about 450 points. Far too much for this army. Plus they are always the first targeted. If i can wiggle three in here for a small strike unit, I may... (GW)

centigor strike force: half tempted to replace the chariots with centigors with greatweapons. 1 wound on those guys is the biggest drawback....

Thanks for any suggestions and any recommendations!

·
Registered
55 Posts
it a nice list though no minotaurs makes me sad :( though there are some ways around this hehehe in truth it kinda similar to my no mino list

anyways I personally feel a doombull loses his main strength when not leading a unit of minotaurs and with 8th their even better, Gorthor nice but if i was gonna spend the points for him i rather get Malagor, though it u were gonna take Khazrak then cool he can be insane when used right (i think my enemies still cry themselves to sleep). Finally the ungors spearmen should be at least 40 and the gors themselves are kinnda small and could fall in a turn. Now the Bestigors, first off I am a fan of these guys and if for some reason i decide not to use some minotaurs these guys step up to the plate. I use 29 with a Musician and Standard carrying the banner that confers terror, this runs about 416pts but it a solid block that will kill all in it path and not that expensive in 2500pts+ games. The things i didn't mention are just thing that vary person to person All in all if your not playing a list with some monsters then you have to make sure your units can survive a bit, have some killer heroes, and a good hammer unit or two

good luck to ya

·
Registered
534 Posts
Lords:
Doombull: gnarled hide, Heavy Armor, Ramhorn helm, Brass cleaver, Dawnstone=332

This guy is a beast but with no other monstrous infantry in the army he will suck the first cannonball that gets fired. i would look at getting him some sort of ward save, just to make sure

Gorthor the Beastlord: upgrade to Razorgor Chariot: 415

Beast of a character but my problem with Gorthor is that he doesnt have a clear role- he is an inconsistent (although potent) shaman but a very expensive beastlord. and his chariot means he will also eat cannonballs, and with no ward save he is pretty much paste. personally, i would drop him and grab a great bray shaman- LVL4 wizards are almost essential this edition

Heroes:
Slugtounge: 190

There is no reason NOT to take him. should be the first name down in any beastman list

Wargor: BSB; wailing banner, Shadowhide, Heavy armor + Shield= 171

Im not too keen on the terror. useful vs. fear causing opponents but the LD re-roll should be more than enough. SHadowhide is pointless if he is in a unit, as it only affects the character, so drop it. personally, i would go with either gnarled hide/hvy armour/shield combo and beast banner or else gnarled hide/armour of destiny/shield and no magic banner. it is only ther for the re-roll anyway

Brayshaman: lvl2, dispel scroll= 135

Scroll caddy and signature beast-lore caster is useful to have. if you take the great bray shaman i would drop him to a lvl 1 and jsut use him to cast the signature spell

Total: 496

Core:
Chariot x2 = 160

Perfectly fine

i like raiders, although many will disagree with me. i wouldnt necessarily always ambush, though, as it is not always to your tactical advantage. plus the beastman ambush rules are...inconsistent. i would drop a unit (poss. 2) and just use them as a skirmish shield. if you are facing a lot of artillery, you can always ambush one unit. remember you can choose to set a unit aside for ambush right up until the game begins, so use the deployment plase to analyse whether you need to ambush or not

Gor Herd: (26 per unit) SB, Musician= 223

Gor Herd: (26 per unit) SB, Musician= 223 *ambush unit*

Again, see the raiders notes about ambush. any reason for teh 26 of them, or is it just points spare? i would always run in multiples (and ranks) of 6, so either go 24 or rock up to 30. and grab additional hand weapons, atm the are running around with a sword each which does them no favours

Ungor Spearmen: (34 per unit) SB, Musician= 213

Perfect slugtongue bunker. dont forget these guys need to be kept near the BSB at all times. again, i would throw in another ungor and go 6x6 with the unit

Total: 1071

Special:

Bestigors: (27 per unit) SB; Banner of swiftness, musician= 393

My favorite unit in the beastmen book. Armored, tough and strong as bejezus. This large unit will have 2 ranks of attacks (horde rules),

DO NOT GO HORDE WITH THIS UNIT. will be a waste of points and rank bonus, horde is a gimmick. I would run them 29 strong with the BSB centre of the line, and go with either the manbane banner or razor standard. they WILL get a lot of stuff thrown at them, so be prepared to lose a lot of them

Total: 393

Rare:

Jabberslythe: 275 causing panick, pulling out characters etc etc. will help flank any pesky units the gors/ungors are stuck on and decimate

i am personally more of a fan of the cygor over the jabber, with the jabber having lost a lot of potency due to BSBs allowing re-rolls for the aura of madness test. with all the wizards running around now, the cygor has more effect on a game and a psychological pressure applied. plus a nice stone thrower :grin:
Grand total: 2979
Overall i really like the basis of the army and i think it could do some damage. personally i would try and free some points up for razorgors, they are one of (if not the most) powerful units in the book with 4 S6 attacks on the charge each. running them solo or in small units of 2 or 3 is cheap and puts pressure on the enemies firepower, keeping your chariots and core units intact

also, try and get at least one (preferably 2) units of harpies in, as they are great warmachine/skirmisher killers.

happy human hunting :eek:k:

Red is the colour of the gods... um, I mean mods, it is against forum rules for any but them to use- we like to be noticable when we have something to say, like now.
If you didnt know this then its time to read the rules: here
- T/S

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks sir_m1ke.
My mistake on the gor herds. The math shows they have the AHW, but i failed to write it there.

• Good points about Gorthor, I'd be inclined to take Kazrak to help with ambushes and provide some potent rank killing power...for about 200 points less to boot. That would free up major points for the Cygor or other units.
  • the Gor herd # was for spare points. I can reduce and find better uses.
  • If lacking the mobile insane power of Gorthor and his great leadership, I would pick up a razorgor chariot and have a Wargor with the hunting spear to act as a mobile bolt thrower while providing a powerful chariot careening around the battle field.
  • Why not horde with the Bestigors? Should I give them the terror causing banner? Possibly the 'manbane' -1 leadership banner? The razor banner was my first idea, but was thinking the strength would overcome much of this. But with Armor penetration, they can tackle Knights, Chaos Warriors and other armored juggernauts.
  • For the bestigors, I was considering 2 smaller units that would run amok and flank.
  • Great points about the cannonballs. However, hopefully the enemy will not have 8+ cannons. There's a ton of targets and that many ambushers will tie them down fairly well.... (thinking about it, Kazrak is almost 100% necessary)

Thank you for your help and advice.
I'll send you pictures and a battle report when the time comes.

ps: and Slugtounge is so good it hurts. I'm worried about placing him in friendly games due to people having feelings hurt.

*edit*
One of my main reasons for taking Gorthor is that he is almost a BSB by himself for an army that has sub-par, near dismal leadership. Giving 9 LD to anyone in a large radius around him is fantastic.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Apologies to the mods, totally forgot about not using red haha! look at me rebelling and flaunting the rules

ps: and Slugtounge is so good it hurts. I'm worried about placing him in friendly games due to people having feelings hurt.

*edit*
One of my main reasons for taking Gorthor is that he is almost a BSB by himself for an army that has sub-par, near dismal leadership. Giving 9 LD to anyone in a large radius around him is fantastic.
U shudnt worry about slugtongue being "cheesy"- he is only really effective against knights, war machines or small units. against hordes he isnt too hot

I understand the logic behind Gorthor, but i stil prefer having a BSB and a Greater Bray in the army. I just dont think Gorthor brings the same to the army. but that may just be personal choice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts