Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was wondering, what's the average amount of crew within an Emperor class battleship? Counting even the last shoveling rats in the holds.

Also, aside from Captain, first officer, master of ordnance, master surgeon , naval commissar, chief navigator, chief astropath, chief techpriest, naval militia commander...do we have any other important figurehead on imperial ships?

Finally, I recall a picture from the BFG rulebook showing the bridge crew, including surgeon and commissar. I can't find it anymore, any idea on which rulebook it is located?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If you count the Servitors, a battleship that size has an immense crew. But as far as living, thinking humans, you've covered most of them. If I recall, there are at least 4 Astropaths on any ship as big or bigger than a Battle Barge. As for figureheads, it can all come down to passengers and/or guests. An Inquisitor can get passage on any Imperium vessel as can most high-ranking Ad Mech Tech Priests. Then of course, with the size of the vessel you've chosen, it could be a command ship, thus you could have a Fleet Commander and his retinue on board. Lastly, I regret I cannot help with the picture. It sounds like a good one though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
An Emperor Class battleship is likely to have approximately a million souls onboard

I think the picture you are after is on pages 90 & 91 of the BFG rule book, if so it should also be pointed out the picture lists Logisticans who monitor the flow of technical data and the fact that there are over 1000 of them

·
Registered
179 Posts
An Emperor Class battleship is likely to have approximately a million souls onboard

I think the picture you are after is on pages 90 & 91 of the BFG rule book, if so it should also be pointed out the picture lists Logisticans who monitor the flow of technical data and the fact that there are over 1000 of them

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pages 90 & 91 seem to be missing on the online resource manuals on gw site...what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Going by the personnel complement of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier, which lets round to 6000 and it's volume, lets round it to 2km and a conservative size estimate for a battleship (lets say 8km long, 500m wide and 500m deep) so 8000km of volume you get a possible crew size of 6 million.

Now whether there's actually 6 million people aboard i don't know. It seems obscenely large though.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
ADB's pitches a Grand Cruiser's crew at 25k, if I recall correctly. A battleship isn't ALL that much bigger. I'd say 40k max, depending on the battleship. I'd imagine the ones heavy with strike craft have more than those that don't.

As for the main crew, I'd also put up Master of Auxpex and Master of Good-old-fashion-radio.

Going by the personnel complement of a Nimitz class aircraft carrier, which lets round to 6000 and it's volume, lets round it to 2km and a conservative size estimate for a battleship (lets say 8km long, 500m wide and 500m deep) so 8000km of volume you get a possible crew size of 6 million.
The Nimitz isn't going to be anywhere near 2 kilometers cubed.

Your theoretical battleship (assuming it was a giant box that was 8000m x 500m x 500m) would be 2 KM cubed.

After all, one cubed kilometer is 1 BILLION cubed meters. (1000*1000*1000)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
The Nimitz isn't going to be anywhere near 2 kilometers cubed.

Your theoretical battleship (assuming it was a giant box that was 8000m x 500m x 500m) would be 2 KM cubed.

After all, one cubed kilometer is 1 BILLION cubed meters. (1000*1000*1000)
Ah ha, you're right. I had a cubed kilometer as a million cubed metres. Thanks for the catch. I thought 6 mill was insane.

Somewhere in the (low) tens of thousands sounds about right.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Ah ha, you're right. I had a cubed kilometer as a million cubed metres. Thanks for the catch. I thought 6 mill was insane.
Still, if we assume a Nimitz is a giant box (which it isn't but we'll pretend) it only works out to .00015343 cubed kilometers. Compared to the giant box battleship (which it isn't, too), the battleship would still be ~13,000 more volume than a Nimitz.

Still, that wouldn't help us. We don't know how much machinery space takes up. Or deck sizes. Walls may take up a greater volume within the battleship. Heck, space is plain used differently. Like having many massive cathedrals within the battleship.

Also it's designed to have people live on there indefinitely. Carrier crews aren't expected to live on the ship for years at a time. Nor with their families.

It's not worth trying to extrapolate.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just going by the sheer size of the things and the descriptions in the books, I'd say if you mean "foot mobiles", probably 30,000-40,000 ish. Including servitors and so forth you'd probably be looking at 60-80k. I can't imagine they'd have some flunkie there getting paid, sleeping, and eating the food when they could have some flunkie who's volunteered to give himself up for the betterment of the Imperium.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Just going by the sheer size of the things and the descriptions in the books, I'd say if you mean "foot mobiles", probably 30,000-40,000 ish. Including servitors and so forth you'd probably be looking at 60-80k. I can't imagine they'd have some flunkie there getting paid, sleeping, and eating the food when they could have some flunkie who's volunteered to give himself up for the betterment of the Imperium.
In is Eisenhorn, or Ravenor pretty sure Eisenhorn, a Rouge trader's ship was crewed by almost nothing but servitor.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Servitors don't form unions, they don't drink all the coffee in the break room, you can stand there like a tourist at Buckingham Palace and make faces at them to amuse yourself.
Not arguing with he I believe his reason was because servitors are humans perfected, and it was reveled that he was turning he was heavily augmented.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It was in the Eisenhorn series. Yes, completely crewed by servitors.

Some people on the board argued that the Navigator wasn't a servitor, despite some evidence to the contrary...

·
Registered
157 Posts
battleship

I thought imperial ships were supposed to be the size of some cities, especially the larger ones.
Theres a website that has ship sizes you can look at somewhere

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Length wise, they'd definitely match some small towns. Volume, not so much.

Still, 30-40,000 people is a fair sized town, at least.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I was reading Betrayer over the weekend and they said that the blessed Lady of the Word Bearers had half a million souls. And that ship was bigger than even Angrons flag ship.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Well I was reading Betrayer over the weekend and they said that the blessed Lady of the Word Bearers had half a million souls.
Well, they're not exactly an STC design, eh? They're freaking huge. Enough that a pair of them made a mockery of "one of the best-defended worlds in the Imperium". A time when the Imperium probably was its strongest.

Second, it probably had a lot of cultists and extra crew. The Word Bearers are fond of using human rabble for their wars. Also they like to have to have as many people worshiping the gods as possible.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts