Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself and forkbanger decided to throw off the shackles of the low points value games and try a full proper game. Going for 2.4K points as the percentages work out nicely at that value. First time at such a high point value so neither if us had a clue what we were doing. Army lists were something like this,

Bretonians

Lords
The Green Knight
Prophetess (Life Lvl 4, Dispel Scroll, Warhorse, Spells Earthblood, Throne of Vines, Regrowth, Flesh to Stone)

Heroes
Damsel (Life Lvl 2, Silver Mirror, Warhorse, Spells Dwellers from Below and Thorns)
Paladin (BSB, Warhorse, Shield, Lance)

Core
12 Knights of the Realm (FC, Banner of Chalons)
12 Knights of the Realm (FC)
18 Bowmen
18 Bowmen

Special
3 Pegasus Knights (FC)

Rare
Field Trebuchet
Field Trebuchet
9 Grail Knights (FC, Banner of Swiftness)

High Elves (this will be vauge)

Lords
Teclis (Choose High Magic)

Heroes
Caradyran
Noble (BSB)
Mage (Life lvl 2)

Core
20 Seaguard (FC)
20 Seaguard (FC, Banner of Sorcery)

Special
20 Phoenix Guard (FC, Razor Standard)
15 Phoenix Guard (FC)

Rare
Repeater Bolt Thrower
Repeater Bolt Thrower

Roughly like that. You might be wondering why Teclis doesn't have lore of Metal. That's because we decided to see what happened without it in this game. With Lore of Metal on Teclis it pretty much goes to an auto-win for high elves in all probability.

We got Meeting engagement and High Elves got to deploy first. Both Seaguard Units got held in reserve by the mission. I got one of my KoR, my BSB and one Bowmen unit put into reserve. The table has a Magic Circle in the middle with a Wyrding Well nearby a small set of buildings in the High Elf corner with a building and Forest in my corner.

Deployment
High Elves put the Bolt Throwers deep in their corner, with such a long battle line it's a tricky deployment. The big block of Phoenix Guard deploy high in the corner away from the long board edge, the others near the buildings in the other corner, Teclis and the BSB hide near the building waiting for the Seaguard to show up.

I deploy Both Trebuchets deep in my corner, pretty much out of sight of anyone. With both Grail Knights and one KoR unit opposing the large block of Phoenix Guard. Pegasus Knights right in the centre opposite the Bolt Throwers.My Bowmen deploy just in front of a building in front my Trebuchets. I let High Elves choose who goes first to gain the Blessing.

Vanguard:
Pegasus Knight advance towards the Bolt Throwers

Turn 1
Both Units of Seaguard walk on and the entire high elf army tries to shoot down the Pegasus Knights, the combination of Armour and Ward saves means they only suffer 1 wound. We then realise we skipped the magic phase so we go back and do that, not much occurs.

I attempt to Charge the Phoenix Guard with my Grail Knights but only move 3 " instead. The Green Knight appears in the forest which turns out to be Fungal. Bowmen walk on the side of the board. Pegasus Knight March to within an inch of the Bolt Throwers. Very little happens in my Magic Phase as the High Elves get about a billion dispell dice every turn. My Shooting is uninspiring as my Stones miss their targets.

Turn 2
Teclis and the BSB join their respective Seaguard units, one inside a building, the other moving up to shoot at my Pegasus Knights. Magic Doesn't achieve too much again, I burn my Silver Mirror to dispel something. One of my Pegasuses gets shot down and a wound on the next.

The Green Knight wanders around trying to work out how to be useful. The Grail Knights try to charge the Phoenix Guard again but fail, moving another 2" closer. They are truly an example to all Knights. My KoR move towards the Seaguard. I forgot to charge the Bolt Thowers so my Pegasus Knights just tool around for a big doing nothing. My shooting is a little better with my Trebuchet squashing a Couple of Phoenix Guard.

Turn 3
The High Elf line moves up a bit getting in shooting range with their archers. Magic Phase is a bit more eventful with Teclis breaking the Green Knight s Sword and setting fire to my unit of bowmen who just arrived making them flee off the board again. Shooting fails to kill the Pegasus Knights again.

I actually manage to Charge the Phoenix Guard this time and my KoR charge the Smaller unit of Phoenix Guard. Pegasus Knight Charge a Bolt Thrower. In my magic Phase my Damsel goes mental and drops 6 Dice into Dwellers on the Big unit of Seaguard with Teclis in it getting Unstoppable Power. Half the Unit dies and I luckily only kill 3 of my own Knights in the blacklash. My KoR sound beat the Phoenix guard and run them down. The big block of Phoenix guard with the Hero kill off 3 Grail Knights who gets a few kills back in return, combat ends in a Stalemate. The Pegasus Knights break the Bolt Thrower and pursue off the board. Shooting a Drop some rocks on people for little effect.

Turn 4
Teclis and his Seaguard go and hide in a building which we later find out is a terrible idea. The remain Seaguard unit turns to face the KoR that broke the Phoenix guard. Between Teclis setting them on fire and Shooting from the Seaguard they are reduced to 6 men and the Damsel. In Combat the Phoenix Guard and Grail Knight hack a way a bit at each other a couple more Knights dying which means the break but make it away from getting run down.

My Remaining KoR charge the Seaguard hopefully, the Grail Knights rally and turn to face the Phoenix Guard. I remember I have another unit of Knights of Realm and bring them on. This is were we have no idea if we did it right. My unit was in Lance formation with 13 Models in the unit so it was 15" long, according to the rule you place the unit on the table with the back edge touching the back and you can move normally. This meant my knights ended up 23" onto the table just by turning up. This cannot be right surely but we can't see any reason it's not right. The Pegasus Knights turned up again from chasing the Bolt Thrower. In the Magic Phase I manage to Resurrect a few Grail Knights with Regrowth. Shooting is much better this turn as we work out why you don't hide from Trebuchets in buildings. Teclis's unit is reduced to Teclis, Standard and Champion. In Combat I lose 3 Knights and Kill a few Seaguard but I lose easily and flee but not caught.

Turn 5
Teclis decides to leave the Death Building ™ and take his chances on foot. The Seaguard advance towards my fleeing knights and shoot them a lot to little effect. Pheonix Guard Charge the Grail Knights Another Pegasus Knight dies in shooting. Teclis give that 5+ ward save to the Seaguard and sets fire to my big unit of knights, killing one. The reinvigorated Grail Knights have a great combat and kill a bunch of the Phoenix guard for 1 loss. The Phoenix Guard hold.

I charge the last Bolt Thrower with my Pegasus Knight, Rally my KoR just and position my other KoR to charge the Seaguard next turn. The Green Knight wanders around ineffectually attempting to get his charge on. I drop some rocks perilously close to my Knights and snipe off a few more Seaguard, I almost crush a knight in the process. The Grail Knights hold against the Phoenix Guard, now reduced to Champion and the Hero dude.

Turn 6
Seaguard Charge my small knight unit fearing all is lost. Teclis charges them as well just for kicks. My knights continue to be on fire and a couple more die. The Sea Guard fail to kill anyone and my knights do similar, everyone holds.

My Big unit of knights crashes into the Seagaurd.

At that point we decided the game was pretty much up.

That was pretty much our first big game of the new WHFB and it went ok. We did huge bunch of stuff wrong we know. I think Forkbanger will be taking Lore of Metal in the future and probably more Swordmasters or White Lions to help break down those 2+ saves.

Aramoro

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good, but you played an illegal list - you needed one unit of Knights of the Realm, they're a 1+ Choice aren't they?
They are indeed a 1+ choice, just like Paladins in the Bretonian books. Thus I have a BSB Paladin and 2 units of 12 Knights of the Realm as putch pointed out.

It was a good game. It was looking very grim for High Elves but it became perilously close. If Dwellers had killed Teclis I think it would have been more of a rout though.

Aramoro

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
To me, it looks like the High Elf player would've been better off spending less points on phoenix guard and more points on basic troops. Even joining both units of seaguard together would've made a big difference. Breaking blocks of 35-40 spearmen/seaguard is very difficult, especially if they're in range of a BSB.

I agree that lore of metal would've helped. My standard setup is two casters, a lvl 3-4 Lord with lore of life, and a lvl 1-2 Hero with lore of metal.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Great Battle report!

You can really learn something about other armies from reading these. Thanks for taking the time to write one out; I've learned a bunch about brettonians and HE's now.

Huzzah! All the rep I can give! (one...)

Keep them comin!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts