Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I would do a battle rep just to show my general tactics with my WE, especially since this game happened earlier today and was incredibly close... although thats not particularly surprising. I was using my trusty old WE while my opponent took WoC... a bad match up for us both I fear.
NB- see attached battlemap at the bottom of the post

My list:
Treeman Ancient- annoyance, clustsre of radiants
Spellweaver- Lv2 (ariels, twilight host), scroll
Noble- wardancer, blades of loec
Noble- BSB, hunter's talon, pageant of shrikes
3*10 Glade Guard- 2 musicians
3*5 Glade Riders- musicians
2*5 Wardancers- champs
Eagle
7 Waywatchers

WoC list:
Lord mage- Lv4, MoT, disc, puppet, 2+/3++ (flickering fire, infernal gateway...)
Exalted hero- god knows what
BSB- MoT, disc, 2+/3++ (vs shooting/magic), 2D1 S1 shooty scream thing
~30 Warriors- FC, MoT, shields
~30 Chosen- FC, MoT, shields +/-1 to eye of gods (started with +1Ld)
21 Marauders- flails
chariot
warshrine- MoT

So the set up was pretty much standard. With the WoC lining up for battle with the discs flanking one side, the chariot on the other and the shrine hiding behind.
My WEs set up with the fast cav opposite the main WoC units, the archers on a hill far away (oddly about 30" from the edge of the WoC line) with the mage, wardancers and treeman filling the centre (with the general and BSB) and the waywatchers scouting into the corner behind the enemy general/BSB. The fast cav vanguard move sent 2 units outflanking towoards my waywatchers and 1 unit up the middle, towords the junction of the serious WoC uinits and their marauders.

WoC Turn 1
The WoC started the game and started by showing their cowardly side (soon stolen and patented by my WE) legging their general from one side of the field to the other. The rest of the lin advanced around a mysterious forest (revealed by my vanguard move to be standard), starting to form a gap between the marauders and chosen that would only grow, but then the shrine rolled a 12 (after a 1 point mod) and the chosen became all but unkillable with 3+/3++ stubborn Ld9. In the shooting phase his BSB screamed at my waywatchers but only killed 1 (and the same next turn), the magic phase was also a let down as I scrolled gateway on my treeman and flickering fire killed (irrisistable, rolled a 5 but puppeted to a 7, so no damage) off a couple of glade riders going up the centre.

WE Turn 1
Utterly fogettable. Fats cav kept moving round the enemy, 2 on my right flank, 1 on my left. I wated the magic phase moving a couple of trees and then burnt my dice. Shooting was just as good... 30-35 shots at the chariot did 1 wound (the beginning of a saga) and the BSB went completely unharmed from fast cav and waywatcher fire (passing a 3++ vs killing blow).

WoC Turn 2
Ah, now the fun started... and admittedly ended (it was that sort of game). The WoC advancedall the way along the line with a charge from the chariot on some archers (taking a stand and shoot wound then breaking, but not catching the archers... who ran off next turn). In the magic phase we had a quick flickering fire at my flanking fast cav unit which killed 1, then we had gateway cast with irrisistable force doing 5-6 S 3 hits on my treeman... who took 3 wounds (omg!), died because they were flaming (OMG!) and then the Lv4 rolled a 3 for his miscast, only got a 1 off the puppet and was quickly pulled into the warp (OMG!!!!!). So that was both the lords in the game dead in 1 spell.. harsh.

WE Turn 2
Another 25 shots at the chariot, 1 more wound taken (only 1 left now... after nearly 70 shots at it). More shots at the BSB, nothing happening. The eagle moves up to march block (exciting I know :p)

WoC Turn 3
Well, without magic this army has lost most of its ability to attack small fast units... such as might be found in a MSU WE army. The line advances, the chariot wheels and the shrine backs off towords the waywatchers in the WoC corner (the warriors have become stalled by fast cav and not being able to get at my line... they are forgettable for the rest of the battle rep since they really didnt do anything). The shooting phase sees the waywatchers wounded once more... who then run screaming from the field (cowards!!).

WE Turn 3
So, it was about time for me to do something proactive, so I declared a charge. Thats right I CHARRRGGHEEEDDD with a *cough* eagle *cough*, right into the rear of the shrine. The chosen had got close enough to worry my wardancers by now, so they just marched away, 1 unit forwards past the charge arc and the other away into my corner. IN the shooting phase another 14 shots went into the chariot... it still lives on 1W. Meanwhile a unit of glade guard backed up by the remaining fats cav on that unit kill about 8 marauders, who break and run through the advancing wardancers (I wasnt runnign away, honest, I was advancing to fight the marauders... anyway the marauders keep running until tehy leave the board, aided by another 10 shots next turn knocking them below 25%).
So, to combat!! Well my eagle took a wound from the shrine, but though it tried valiantly couldnt hit the shrine (let alone the T6, the armour save and the ward save... I couldnt even hit the bugger :laugh:). But anyway, I had charged and I was in the shrine's rear, so I won by 2... but it made its Ld test (though only just), regardless my eagle got killed in the next turn so its moment of glory was short lived.

WoC Turn 4
The chariot tried to charge some archers, who decided it would be better to lead it away from my army and so ran away (no, of course they didnt flee). Meanwhile it dawns on the warriors and the chosen that they arent going to be able to catch any of these slippery elves...

WE Turn 4
The chariot dies... whooppppeee, only took something in the region of 80 shots to take the 4 wounds from it.
From here we skip through a couple of turns... nothing happens, twice (yes, I believe in originality).
WE Turn 6
So Its he last turn of the game, and I've been feeling like there hasnt been enough combat in this game. Ive turned down endless chances to charge warriors and chosen units with my wardancers since charging either is pretty much just suicide. However to make up this dirth of old-fashioned bloodletting I declare 2 charges :shock:, the general's wardancers and some fast cav charge the shrine (it is alter all 50% of the non-instant death units on the board.. and the wardancers havent had a shot at the BSB- its on a disc after all). I get the charge in the flank and the rear and even do 1 wound (utter shock) but even though Im pumping out about 20 attacks from the wardancers its the unseen spears of the glade riders who take it. The shrine responds killing 2 riders... losing by 3, failing its test even with the BSB's reroll, getting caught quite easily by the riders.

SO we thought the game ended with a +96pt draw to me (I killed about 800/2k, while losing ~700), although we had forgotten that the WoC general had blown himself up spectacularly, so I actually took the game (although I'm willing to leave the WoC player with thoughts of a draw :p)
So not the most bloody battle in history, but it was enormous fun, and is an astonishing example of just how WE can take on armies that it really struggles to even scratch. Though it would be interesting to know what would have happened if the Lv4 and treeman hadnt mutually exploded- while the Lv4 was the best unit the WoC had to counter the spiralling WE units the treeman was pretty much the only WE able to take on pretty much anything in the WoC army with any confidence...

Anyways, here's the set up and most of the action from turns 1-2, in fancy 'paint' format :p

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Thank goodness there isn't a single Wood Elf in my LGS. I would be scared shitless to face them after having read this. No, seriously. The sheer thought of my ironclad lads getting killed by cowardly bows and arrows from food elves terrifies me. I need to get some Sorcerers, Knights and Marauder Horsemen for these situations.

Well done, by the way. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice Bat rep! Im with Khorothis, I play wood elves semi regularily and there is almost no opponent I dread more, no matter what army I play. But especially my poor orcs and gobbos.. :(

On a side note, im really enjoying this current influx of Battle reports :p

+Rep!

·
Registered
478 Posts
all the Rep I can throw at your cowardly elves!

Man, what a match!
Great manuevering. Your eagle sacrifice wasn't in vain, the glade and the other elves finished off that warshrine.
That chariot has to be the toughest SOB in the universe. My chariots get cut down in 1-2 turns with minimal attention.
If that Lord hadn't sucked himself into a vortex, this could have been a very different game!

Really digging all these new Battle reports.

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
Tim/Steve like a true Wood Elf player it's good to see you always make like a tree and leave :p

+ rep!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for all the good WFB posts, seems like everytime I turn around I'm reading Tim/Steve insights. It's helpful. So I gave all the rep I could!

Sounds like a somewhat hectic game in spots. Bet the guy you were playing was all happy for torching the tree then got sadfaced on his miscast roll. One of those two extremities of emotions from one thing deals. Those are always fun.

Keep up the good postings!

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually we kinds rolled that in a funny order... he got all excited when he got the irrisistable force (me having scrolled gateway on turn 1), bu twhen he rolled the 6 S3 hits or whatever it was he managed he got annoyed, rolled the miscast and got a 4, although one dice wa scocked so he re-rolled onto a 3 (doh), puppet only got a 1 and he failed the 4+ to live, plus killing a couple of marauders.
Then when his wizard was dead he rolled the wounds, got loads of sixes then laughed as I failed all my saves. So the high-low emotion swing was actually mine... but to be honest I thought it was a great run of luck, so wasnt complaining.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only a handful of those shots were S3- the vast majority was from glade guard at close range, which gives them +1 S and makes them a really nasty unit.
I think the total shots i had were 72 S4 and ~12 S3... in theory enough to kill it two times over.

The thing I find funny is that I just cant decide whether or not I want the hail of doom arrow or hunters talon and pageant of shrikes on my BSB... every time I change between them the other would have done better. This battle was a good example- I never needed to be able to shoot individuals, but a hail shot would have been very useful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts