5 Fire Dragons
- Wave Serpent w/ TL Starcannons, Shuricannon, Stones

6 Swooping Hawks w/ Exarch, Sunrifle, Intercept, Skyleap
6 Swooping Hawks w/ Exarch, Sunrifle, Intercept, Skyleap

Wraithlord w/ Bright Lance, Starcannon
Wraithlord w/ Bright Lance, Starcannon
Wraithlord w/ Bright Lance, Eldar Missile Launcher

Deployment:

The Eldar place their Pathfinders a bit further into the field, concealed within a rocky hilltop. The Guardians are placed evenly across the board, as are the Wraithlords. The Avatar sits firm in the center of the Xenos deployment zone. Both Serpents and their cargo are hidden behind the Pathfinders hill. The Autarch and both Hawk units are in reserve.

The Chaos Land Raider and her attending Defilers are close to the center of the Chaos deployment zone, each hull down behind cover. One squad of Slanneshi’s followers hitch a ride in the Raider while the other takes cover in a small ruin to the far right of the deployment zone. The two Daemon Princes take position on the far left, just opposite the Eldar Pathfinders, but within cover. The Terminators and Daemons are in reserve.

Turn 1:

Chaos wins the roll, and the two Defilers and the Land Raider surge forward, neatly marking the center line of the table, and start smokin’ cause they got’em. The two Daemon Princes do the same. The Slanneshi Marine unit in the ruin remains steady, facing down possible fire from two Wraithlords and a Guardian unit. Cuddles successfully casts the Lash on the unit of Pathfinders, forcing them to move just a few inches over lip of the cover provided by the hill, and just into charge range of both Princes. Sparky had also managed to gain the benefits of Warptime, and so, with no shots fired anywhere in the army, the two Princes charged the Pathfinders on turn one, completely annihilating the unit. Nine Pathfinders were cut down where they stood, and the last was pounced upon while fleeing the scene of the slaughter. The Princes take cover in the hill just vacated by the Pathfinders.

The Eldar are none too pleased, and release the full fury of their army upon mostly Sparky, and Biff, the Defiler. The Fire Dragons and their TL Starcannon Serpent are pointing menacingly at Sparky, while the firepower of three Wraithlords and three Guardian Weapon Platforms are aimed at Biff. Buffy also has her large form squarely in the crosshairs of a TL Brightlance Serpent. By the time the dice had been rolled, poor Sparky, even with his 4++, is down to a single wound remaining, but Cuddles is untouched. Buffy and Biff, between them, suffer 4 glancing hits from all of the attention they’ve won, but Daemonic Possession shows its value, and none of the hits result in even a temporary setback.

Turn 2:

Chaos gets the chance to see what these little Diet Daemons can do. Of the 5 units available, 4 arrive promptly, as does one unit of 9 Tzeentchi Terminators. Not bad at all. Now that the Raider (and the Iconed Squad within) is in the center of the table, it was virtually impossible to fail in getting a few Diet Daemon units to make first contact with the Guardians. The ensuing combat shredded the only 5 Guardians in the kill zone, leaving the remaining 5 Guardians and the Warlock facing off against 21 Daemons. Luckily, they had the Avatar just a few steps behind them, bolstering their morale and holding them in check. The Daemons had another unit of 7 holding their back. Sparky gets his revenge the Fire Dragons, stomping them all into the ground, and making use of both Warptime and Doombolt. Cuddles once again casts Lash of Submission on a unit of Guardians hiding just with the woods just out of charge range. And, once again, the Lash allowed a successful charge, and removed the penalties that cover would have granted the enemy. The Guardians, also fortified by the nearness of their Avatar, remain firm. The two Defilers, Biff and Buff, both declare their assaults on two Wraithlords. I gotta say that I really like 5 Str10 attacks on the charge. The combats continued over two combat phases, and eventually included a third Wraithlord. In the end, both Defilers had succumbed to a severe brow beating by the Egg-heads, but had taken two of them along as well. When the Terminators arrive, they veer off the mark just a bit (there were no valid targets near any iconed units) but manage to send some lead down range and spook the only squad of Guardians not near the Avatar. The morale test is failed and snake-eyes are rolled for the fall back distance. Too bad the Warlock was less than an inch from the table edge at the time. Buffy has managed to put paid to that annoying TL Brightlance Serpent, destroying it. The Banshees never had a chance to disembark, as the rear of the hatch was against impassable terrain when the Serpent blew. I guess Chaos Estrogen is just more potent than Xenos Estrogen.

The Eldar reserves come in to offer their aid in the form of the Autarch and a squad of Hawks. The grenade pack fails to do any real damage and the birds (and the Autarch who has joined the unit) land with a copse of trees central to my deployment zone. The TL Starcannon Serpent does not even attempt to move more than an inch, and sets its weapons on Sparky once again. The Avatar joins the Guardians in the combat with 21 Diet Daemons, as the third Wraithlord joins the combat against one of the Defilers, sealing his fate. Shooting is minimal, but the Serpent lands the final blow to Sparky, who is immediately plugged into the wall to recharge for the next battle. The Autarch and his Feathered Friends don’t do so well and only manage one casualty on the unengaged Diet Daemons. Combat continues with Cuddles winning combat, but unable to finalize due to the proximity of the Avatar. The Avatar is somewhat befuddled by the multitude of pests overcoming his Guardians. Only two Daemons perish, while the Guardians squad must live in the memory of its only survivor, for a short while at least. The Defilers are now gone and only one Wraithlord remains, slowly backing away from a menacing group of Terminators just over 12” away.

Turns 3 & 4:

Chaos manages to really get stuck in when the fourth unit of Daemons joins Cuddles in the combat against that stubborn Guardian squad. After only one turn of combat, the Guardian squad is no more. The Daemons then head through a small wood to join the combat against the Avatar. Over the course of these two turns, the Avatar is slowly whittled down by the attentions of 4 units of 7 Daemons and eventually falls to the IG tactic of ‘rolling lots of dice until you fail enough saves’. By the end of this combat, I had lost only one scoring unit against the Avatar and his two units of Guardians. The Wraithlord slowly back peddles away from the mean looking Terminators, only to fall to Buffy’s Lascannons. This girl has certainly got a pair. All that remains of the Eldar force is one TL Starcannon Serpent, and a unit of Rubber Hawks. The Hawks land in my deployment zone and lash out against a unit of Slanneshi Marines. I guess I deserve what I got, but I really expected them to hold out a little better against Str3 bird droppings. The Marines were wiped out completely in one salvo. But! Turnabout is fair play as the Hawks just happen to be within 24” of Cuddles, who promptly Lashes them into submission right between Cuddles and the fifth and final unit of tardy Daemons. The end result is as expected, and with a bit of fuss over turns 5 & 6, that stupid Serpent is finally sent crashing to the ground, care of Buffy’s Fine Pair.

Eldar Losses:
Completely Annihilated

Chaos Losses:
1 Daemon Prince
½ Pts for 1 Daemon Prince
1 Squad of Diet Daemons
1 Squad of Slanneshi Marines
2 Defilers

((No Terminators were harmed in the making of this BatRep))

I went into this game planning to simply rush forward as quickly as possible. I know that my opponent made a few errors, or at least decided differently than I would have in certain situations. But, I don’t believe it would have changed the outcome of the match too much. Simply put, first turn lashings can really crimp your opponent’s game. I suppose that the Defilers’ performances would not be considered typical against Wraithlords, but I was just ecstatic. They never fired their battle cannons and still managed to ‘earn their points’ and just a tad bit more. Much more was the fun I had ‘zooming’ them across the battlefield. This is also one of maybe 3 games in my lifetime (12 years of gaming) where this particular Land Raider has survived. I think Sparky did just fine, as did Cuddles. The Diet Daemons worked wonderfully. Coupled with Cuddles (hehe), they should be worth more than their points suggest. The only disappointment, if you could call it a true disappointment, was that the 18 Terminators really failed to get stuck in. Credit to my opponent, who never ever lays down and dies, no matter the odds.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That Eldar list has to be fake.

it's lacking a farseer and 3 falcons. :p

I'm curious as to how you felt the terminators did.

You said they failed to get stuck in, but how much ranged damage did they end up doing? I noticed you didn't take any heavy options for them.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The list is one that has done well in pick-up games, and was intended to be something new from the typical mech eldar. I run 1 falcon and 2 prisms, myself. :mrgreen:

As for the termies, they did manage to remove one guardian unit from the board, strictly by shooting them into a fear induced retreat. Had the avatar been 2 inches closer, and that would not have happened. The other unit peppered the autarch's squad of hawks, virtually destroying that unit. They were ignored mostly, but having them fairly central to the table meant that there really was not much room for the eldar.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
See, my gaming area always hugs their avatars with the guardians, so I can't get a leg in.

but their scorpions like to flee off the board like roaches. :D

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty typical of the Guardians, but if you manage to give the Avatar a real threat that only he can eliminate, then you get your chance.

I've had really good luck with my Scorps. They've taken down Marine Command Squads as well as Ork Warbosses and Nob Retinues. I'm a fan, but even Scorps cannot roll low on moral tests every time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i am not surprised the Eldar lost with 3 units of guardians. No reapers or Scorpions??

I assume that you used the Autaurch as your HQ option. Then again i am using Eldar at the moment and to be honest i have played about 6 games against Chaos and been well utterly crushed to be polite.

James

·
Registered
66 Posts
they were lashed out and sloughtered by 2 daemon princes... in the first turn...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
thats the first eldar army i've seen with out a farseer with doom and guide. Nice batrep.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i really dont see the point in putting pathfinders up as infiltrators with there range unless theres objectives but i still would keep them back shooting whilst wraithguard or something move into range

·
Banned
677 Posts
Great report! I always use a squad of pathfinders in my force. A- to counter possible enemy infiltrators and B- to have upfront and strategic fire on a tough unit that can be pinned.

I tend to hunt devastator and terminator squads with them, hoping for AP1 shots and pinning tests up the wazoo. Just keep em in buildings and thats a 2+ cover save til the gods of dice leave your side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts