Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As so many others have before me, I plan on using chaos hounds as flesh hounds. I despise finecast and the cost for 20 hounds is ridiculous - so warhounds it is! I just can't figure out how to base them. Had a box of metal fleshhounds and older warhounds that came with 40mm bases, but now the site says they're on 50mm bases!? Fenrisian Wolves are on 40mm, so it just makes sense to me that my flesh hounds be the same.
I ask because I don't want to cause issue if playing in a gw store or tournament, though I mostly just play at my house. Perhaps I'm over worried, but I just bought 60 32mm bases for my CSM and Space Wolves and don't want to purchase 25 for my Fleshhounds/warhounds. All these new base size changes are getting crazy. And I can't say I based them with the ones they came with.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Basically they should either be on horse/bike bases or the new size of round base.
Currently GW says it is your choice to base them how you like. THOUGH some GW stores and tourneys will deny you use of your Chaos Hounds as Fleshhounds as they will say you need the correct models, or at least would have to have converted those Chaos Hounds enough to be Fleshhounds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... and who judges if the conversion is enough? I was planning on doing a little conversion work, like adding similar texture to the skin that is one the fleshhound model, as well as some khorne symbols branded into the flesh. I suspect that probably wouldn't be enough in some peoples opinion. Don't know what else could realistically be done to make them look any more similar. Modeling collars and frills onto them is out of my ability anyway.

I really don't plan on playing in a tourney anyway, but it would sure piss me off if my local gw would have a problem with this as counts as. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the cost of the bases has me miffed, too. I have tons of spare 40's and that's why I was going to use them. Really thinking about getting a couple, dressing them up, and casting my own.

And if you figure a good way to sculpt collars on the warhounds, let me now lol. In no way I can figure does it look good around the neck with so much hair and the horns.

·
Registered
773 Posts
You can get 20 50mm bases on ebay for about 2,50 quid though. I just ordered some a few days ago :)
Or you could just a few sheets of plasticard http://www.amazon.co.uk/WHITE-PLASTIC-PLASTICARD-1-00mm-SHEETS/dp/B00F6S7GBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429265026&sr=8-1&keywords=plasticard (just the first one I found on quick search) and make about 80 of them for about £8 and a bit of drawing and cutting templates.

As for the question of who judges if they are converted enough... that is basically down to the store / tourney. My local store has let me use a Rhino as a Griffon. But in another tourney I couldn't use my converted cola bottles that were all painted and stuff as Void Shield Generators, even though the official model was limited edition and sold out in minutes, and the stronghold book actually says you can make your own, as these are only a variant on what they look like.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Or you could just a few sheets of plasticard Amazon (just the first one I found on quick search) and make about 80 of them for about £8 and a bit of drawing and cutting templates.
True, but if you buy them such as these then you won't have to worry about height, size etc for the bases. They are exactly the same as GW's.

To each his own - I'm a lazy ass who can't be bothered making them myself xD

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Though I loath finecast, I think I'm just gonna get the official models. Sucky way to get them when you need so many, but I'm putting effort into this army to be showcase quality, so I might as well do it right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts