Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still figuring out which army I want to use, one option is IG since I'd really love to make use of basilisks,
I think it would be funny to use 3 basilisks then concentrate my forces into a small force isolated from the rest of the field as my main army while pummeling the rest of the field with basilisks,

I'm curious if the 36" min range is very bothersome

really any great guard advice would be nice, like are chimeras worth while, bullgryns? I'm thinking leman russes are must haves for any guard army, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
If you want to cheat with Basilisks, take a look at the Horus Heresy Legions list. Not only do you get BS4 basilisks if you really need that, but you get access to a really cheap and easily accessible item to put onto your frontline squads which allows you to draw Line of Sight from them.

Being able to draw line of sight allows you to direct fire with the Basilisk, even if it is normally hidden behind Line of Sight blocking terrain, and hence the 36" minimum range is not relevant. The downside is you can only have a single battery (1-3) of them, but if you take another (Battlebrother) Legion as allies, you can get a second battery of basilisks.

You also get to use the really, really cool Legion pattern Basilisk from Forgeworld if that's your thing.

I'm not sure on how Astra Militarum work now, although for Bullgryns, I'm unsure as to how effective an unsupported unit type can work effectively (a combat unit in a primarily shooting heavy) means that they're pretty overpriced. Chimeras - well they're no longer the leafblower lists in the past, as pretty much everyone is packing S8 and is well aware of how to deal with them now. Vendetta's reduction to 6 models capacity is a ball ache, meaning that you no longer have a late game objective grabbing transport for objective secured, short of having a platoon command squad sit in there for the game, which means no access to orders from them, so you no longer have an Anti Air, Anti Armour Objective grabbing transport. Boohoo I know, but they were good.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'm curious if the 36" min range is very bothersome
The minimum range only affects shots fired out of line of sight (Barrage), so if you can see the unit it changes nothing. On a terrain-dense board you might get someone able to sneak up on you via Outflank or Deep Strike, but that's what your other units are for.

I love my Chimeras, Bullgryns I know nothing about because I don't like the models and would rather another tank, and Leman Russ's are crucial in my lists. Pask in a Punisher w/ MM/LC weapon mounts accompanied by a Demolisher is a hell of a lot of fun as an HQ, though if I'm playing them as Heavy Support I typically run a Demolisher, pair of Battle Tanks, and a Manticore depending on list size.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts