Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
You mean something that looks like this?

There are instructions here: http://warllama40k.blogspot.de/2012/05/how-to-build-kit-bashed-thunderhawk.html

Apparently a GW employee came up with the idea.

EDIT: And while I was looking for better copies of the directions I ran into the instructions for the old metal Thunderhawk kit (for anyone who wonders how much suffering THAT brings): http://www.solegends.com/citle/citle2000/promotions/thunderhawk/instructions/index.htm

DOUBLE EDIT: And here's a GW who took pictures of every step they followed and all the kits they used (nice use of the Shadowsword barrel) if people are looking for an alternate reference: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.258366880896290.62244.138562386210074&type=1

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
For the price of two stormravens and a baneblade, you might as well buy a resin kit on ebay.
Unless you like the challenge of kitbashing or don't like messing with resin. And you don't need the whole Baneblade, just some pieces. You can easily hit up a bits site for some Shadowsword bits or ask around since that's not a popular version to build from what I've seen.

$305 total or a $299 one from Russia.
So basically not enough of a difference to really break the bank then, and close enough to make it worth while if you're into kit bashing. :D

If you get them from wayland games its only £152 as opposed to £400. Although i don't know how much it costs for you guys over the pond.
£152 is about $255.25 USD.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I normally like kitbashes but there is something about that mash up that I do not like at all. I would rather look on ebay to get a resin one.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
I normally like kitbashes but there is something about that mash up that I do not like at all. I would rather look on ebay to get a resin one.
The regular Thunderhawk is not real looker either to be fair to the kitbash. About the only part of the kitbash that bothers me is how the bodies of the Storm Ravens join as it doesn't line up well (they did a good job blending it on the one I posted images of though so it's not an insurmountable problem).

Here's a converted one painted (from the Facebook link I posted earlier):

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the price of two stormravens and a baneblade, you might as well buy a resin kit on ebay.
I've all ready got the stuff from the baneblade kit. So all I'll need is two stormravens. The reason for not getting the resin kit is that I hate working with the stuff.

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i really like these conversions, im not a fan of the thunderhawk model, i kinda prefer the conversions if im honest, they seem to have more going on and look less like a box and more streamlined if thats possible with marine kits??
Aaand you save some cash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts