Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just surfing around on eBay last night and saw this: a fully painted and assembled Baneblade for a tenner! I almost fainted. Has anyone else seen really super cheap stuff on eBay?

Thanks for listening forum users!

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Well, there is probably a reserve on the Baneblade or it's auction ends in ten days. Found that out the hard way for a Spetsnaz gasmask for 15$

-Dirge

·
Banned
135 Posts
Ebay is awesome, I've never bought any GW stuff from GW or their stores all my models are from Ebay. You can get most models for 33-50% off, if you're willing to repair and repaint used ones. New In Box items though cost almost as much as from a store.

I doubt you'll get things like the Baneblade for cheap, if you buy single vehicles on Ebay they go for a lot. You'll get a better deal if you buy odd lots, like a few vehicles and some squads in one package. Also, if you are looking to raise some cash, Grey Knights and Noise Marines sell for a lot on Ebay right now.

As for good deals, I got 2 Tornados, 2 Razorbacks, and 20+ well painted Ultramarines, including 5 Davastators, for about $100 total. That was a good deal to me. Terminators for $4-5 a piece is good too, at least compared to retail. The Dread I got for about $31 was nice too, because here they cost about $55 at a store. Pocket Rulebooks are about $16, for those who don't want to pay $50 for the fancy one at a store.

I think GW would nuke ebay if they could ...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes and no Stormbolter. Yes it does cut down slightly on their sales but (almost) everything sold on ebay was purchased once already and now you enter the economics of reselling. That would almost be like record companies wanting to nuke used CD stores for reselling CDs. I have caught some really good deals on Ebay and got hosed on a couple as well. If you are patient you can really get some good things.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah ebay can be great, but watch out for refurbished (repaired, never know how well, water damage is the worst for electronics) and obvious stuff like oops epic scale not 40k, etc... It usually works great as long as you do your research and the seller has a decent rating (or has good communication and lets you call them, etc...) Ebay is nice, it allows some of us to buy used models so that (hopefully) the seller buys (affords) a newer/different army. Insane deals are the most likely to be hosed so be careful and good luck (sometimes luck works more than patience)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I normally use sites like this to barter, but being paranoid I alway gotta call the person unless it is a small swap, but it normally is not.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Well, in addition to my earlier statement, I would make sure that the Baneblade has a pic, or get a pic, so you don't buy a bit instead of the entire thing. Make sure it's painted to your spec or unpainted, or, best of all IMO, totally untouched. In the box. No taking the bitz you want and selling me the rest (uness you make a Really good offer).

Ebay's a great tool, but only if you're buying from non-shady night manager people.

-Dirge

·
Banned
135 Posts
It is true that part of the reason people will buy from GW is because the buyer is often thinking of the possible resale value of his item on Ebay down the line. So I agree that Ebay does help the sales of GW. However, I don't think GW (or many other companies) understand this very well, or think in the longterm like this. Unfonrtunately a lot of corporations, Wizards-Hasbro for example, run their operations like quick buck artists. They do not support their long term customers, but rather cater to fly by night hobby-ists who will dabble in the hobby for 1 year and then abandon it for the next craze. Companies should cater more to their loyal oldschool customers in my opinion. Instead, they constantly screw a lot of old customers, by making their armies or favorite units obsolete, as Wizards does with magic cards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts