Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys, due to rules, I'm posting the review of Salamander here, but if you want to see the original one, it's Here.

Now, the review.

Salamander - Nick Kyme

Hailing from the Volcanic World of Nocturne, Space Marines of the Salamanders Chapter are in search of ancient artefacts that leads to a world overrun by Chaos. They are the fire-born: implacable warriors with iron hard determinaton. But all is not what it seems as a far more dangerous foe is revealled. As bitter rivalries break out among the Salamanders their endurance will be tested to the limit. Will the Salamanders surrive long enough to discover the truth about this world and the revealations that will shake the very foundations of the chapter forever?

Okay, so this is my first ever book review for the internet, so I hope you like it. Feedback would be appricated.

So, Salamander. Well, where to begin? Well, for those who have read Heroes of the Space Marines, you'll recgonise the short story in there by Nick Kyme, which introduces a few of the charachters here. I'd talk more about it, but I haven't actually read it yet. It's on my to get list with Fireborn, the audiobook which my Games Workshop manager told me that it was the second in the Tome of Fire trilogy, with Firedrake being the final one. It's also similar to Soul Hunter, with Throne of Lies being the second (audio) book in a trilogy.

So, enough of that, onto the actual book. It starts with the 3rd Captain Kadai's death, and goes on really from there, with the relucantant Sergeant N'Keln promted as Captain, and sees Tsu'gan determined to dethrone N'Keln from the Captain position, and there is a twist in the end of the story which revolves around this rivalry. I don't want to give much away, but Tsu'gan blames himself for well, Kadai's death.

Then, So does Dak'ir, if I can remember properly. Now, Dak'ir was present in the short story in Heroes of the Space Marines, and is felt like he is being watched by the Librarian Pyriel, who comes to a conclusion which, really, well, I'm not going to explain. After all, Spoilers :p.

The book takes us on a ride from Nocturne, the home planet of the Salamanders, to a seemingly abandonded Mechenicus Vessel, and a confontration with the Marines Maelovent, and discovery about Istavaan on the ship. I don't really want to reveal much detail incase you guys haven't read it yet.

But anyway, to sum this book up, I enjoyed it, and is possibly my favourite Black Library book so far(I am yet to read A Thousand Sons), eclipsing Soul Hunter. Now, the high and the low points.

High Point: The Final Battle on the dying world, and the discovery of someone there.

Low Point: The book started out slowly, in my opinon, but yeah, it was a good book in all.

The Rating: 10/10

NEW INFORMATION: Salamander is the first in the Salamanders series, with Firedrake the second and Nocturne third, with Fireborn a standalone. For the Night Lords, Soul Hunter is the first in a "Projected Run of Six books", and Throne of Lies is seperate. Thanks for Commissar Ploss and dark angel for the help.

~Bane of Kings

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
wow, that's quite a good review! I haven't read Salamander yet, this has inspired me to get that done!

A word about the similarities between the Night Lords series and this one: Soul Hunter is the first book in a projected run of six books, or so Aaron tells me. Throne of Lies is a separate audio drama that, as far as i'm aware, isn't part of the series. The second book of the Night Lords series by ADB is going to be called Blood Reaver. so its not quite the same. Salamander is the second book, and Firedrake is the third of a trilogy of three.

and talk to Jez about joining the Heresy Blog Network.

CP

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, it's just what a GW employee at my local store told me. Thanx. Also, I have bad news, Something's gone wrong with my blog forcing me to create a new one, called Of Books and Wargames 2. Salamander will still be up on the original web, and yeah. OBAWG2 is HERE.

Sorry for any inconveience.

~Bane of Kings

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
wow, that's quite a good review! I haven't read Salamander yet, this has inspired me to get that done!

A word about the similarities between the Night Lords series and this one: Soul Hunter is the first book in a projected run of six books, or so Aaron tells me. Throne of Lies is a separate audio drama that, as far as i'm aware, isn't part of the series. The second book of the Night Lords series by ADB is going to be called Blood Reaver. so its not quite the same. Salamander is the second book, and Firedrake is the third of a trilogy of three.

and talk to Jez about joining the Heresy Blog Network.

CP
Salamander is the first actually, Firedrake is the second and Nocturne will be the third. There is a sizeable short in Heroes of the Space Marines however, as you probably know. Fireborn (The Salamander Audio-Book) details a mission of Tsu'gan between Salamander and Firedrake. Good review BoK!

·
Like a Bawss
4,111 Posts
Salamander is the first actually, Firedrake is the second and Nocturne will be the third.
Yeah that threw me for a bit...

Good shite :) I agree, I found Salamander to be an incredibly enjoyable book, which almost surprised me as Kyme was (I believe) relatively new to the whole 40k novel scene. The scenes where the Salamanders chant their battle cries were completely badass.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey, thanks for the replies and the rep, Boc :). Next review will be Helsreach when I finish re-reading the book, so remember to check out Of Books and Wargames 2 when it's ready. I'll post it on Heresy as well. Also, does anyone know how to put images in the op? 'cause I'd rather have the salamander cover displaying than a link to it.

Thanx in advance.

~Bane of Kings

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
just replace the link with this
HTML:
[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BkcNmZKUTtU/TCTNeb_GfLI/AAAAAAAAAAM/s2t4W5HPjmI/s1600/book-salamander%5B1%5D.jpg[/img]
that will insert your picture into the post.

its as simple as wrapping the tags around the url. :)

CP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts