Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Banished Marines

So I am going to be writing several shorts about a group of marines that were banished/sent on a death mission or whatever Uriel went on. Havent yet decided which chapter, Im leaning more towards Novamarines.

Anyway! Thanks to 3rd UM book, it seemed that every chapter has had a marine banished from their ranks for whatever reason. Now while I haven't heard any hate towards McNielle, except from UM haters, but I wanted to know if banished marines/those sent on an impossible task, was solid fluff or not?

I would think it would be more common, better to have a brother marine redeem himself then shame the chapter by just a quick death. It be even worst if its Geneseed hadn't matured right?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I don't think it really matters if there is any concrete fluff on marines leaving, as long as what you right makes sense then it is fine.

Although marines have fallen from every chapter (except for GK, but that's a different story). Whether they were allowed to redeem themselves or not is a different matter. I remember Calgar saying to Uriel something like "die well" which emplies they were not actually suspected to survive.

So basically go for it!

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's not bang on your question, but have a look at some of the lexicanum pages for some of the 'traitor' marines during the Badab campaign. Those that survived the Badab War and repented were prevented from recruiting and were sent on 100 year crusades to prove their worth - these crusades often involved getting sent into the path of a hive fleet etc.

Lamenters
Mantis Warriors
Executioners

People on here may be able to give you further information from some of the short stories etc.

edit: It's worth adding that 'banished' marines would otherwise probably be exterminated and there geneseed considered corrupt and therefore their death mission (which is more likely to be a matter of honour and proof of loyalty) is the nice middle ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts