Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, am dusting off my eldar and going to start 40k again was looking for comments on this:

Background: Alaitoc

HQ:
Farseer Githrondfin, Runes of Warding, Doom 95pts
Farseer Ethilnwaen, Doom 80pts

Elites
Striking Scorpions x6, exarch, biting blade, stalker, shadowstrike, 138pts
Firedragons x6, 96pts
Waveserpent, spirit stones, shuriken cannons 110pts

Troops
Rangers x5, 95pts
Pathfinders x5 120pts
Dire Avengers x10, exarch, twin shuriken catapults, bladestorm, 152pts
Waveserpent, spirit stones, bright lances 145pts
Dire Avengers x5 60pts

Heavy Support
War Walkers x2 scatter lasers 120pts
Falcon, Shuriken cannon, spirit stones, 130pts
Fire Prism, holo-field 150pts

Any points would be great as I have not rolled a 40k dice in anger since 3rd Ed

·
Registered
632 Posts
OMG where to start, you got some serious isssues with this list if its intended for competive play.

HQ:
Farseer Githrondfin, Runes of Warding, Doom 95pts
Drop the runes and equip with spirit stones and add guide and fortune
to both of the farseers.Elites
Striking Scorpions x6, exarch, biting blade, stalker, shadowstrike, 138pts
Firedragons x6, 96pts
Waveserpent, spirit stones, shuriken cannons 110pts
Add more to both these units and give them both a transport or they
will die to easy.Troops
Rangers x5, 95pts
Pathfinders x5 120pts
Dire Avengers x5 60pts
You will need more rangers and pathfinders as they are pretty usless on there own and there is now so many template weapons to negate cover. Boost the 5man DA unitHeavy Support
Falcon, Shuriken cannon, spirit stones, 130pts
Fire Prism, holo-field 150pts
This is good but i would strongly recommend arming those war walkers with bright lances as most armys in 5th edition are Meqanised and you will struggle to take out armour.
Alot has changed since 3rd and i would strongly advise you play some practice games to see just how much the units have changed aswell, you will need to get a feel for the game mechanics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the mo, I am making lists of what i have repainted and replaced. Am more of a recreational player than uber competitive, but feel like a complete newb with the changes that have taken place. Currently am not sure whether to go ranged superiority or meq will take what you have said on board and work through another list.

Cheers for the comments

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you are going to do anything with the list please please don't take brightlances on the war walkers. They are expensive and wont do as much damage as the scatter lasers. Taking out mechanised lists scatter lasers are better at taking down transports then lances. I think anything AV12 or lower a scatter laser will get more penetrating hits on then a brightlance.

With the farseers don't give them more then 2 powers like Lord rahl just said. Its a waste of points. 2 Doomseers is a fine HQ choice.

I agree that you need to bolster the scorpions numbers or drop them alltogether. 6 Fire dragons is enough, any more and it becomes overkill. But be warned they will become a suicide squad so ensure they get to target the big nasty thing first before they are blown off the table.

The rangers and pathfinders I would say merge them into one unit of more then 5, for protection against flamers (rare fitting 10 models under a flamer template) and also so it takes more to get them to flee.

Mech is one of the better ways for eldar to go forward but a hybrid list like yours can work well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right had a rethink what do people think of this instead?

HQ:
Farseer Githrondfin, Spirit Stones, Doom, Guide 120pts

Elites
Firedragons x6, (ride in the falcon) 96pts

Troops
Pathfinders x8 192pts
Waveserpent, spirit stones, elder missile launchers 130pts

Heavy Support
Falcon, elder missile launcer, spirit stones, 145pts
Fire Prism, holo-field, Spirit stones 160pts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah that list looks pretty good. Learn how to use all the units induvidually and as a team and give it a few playtests.

The only change I would make is giving the holofeilds to the falcon instead of the fire prism. As a fire dragon delivery system it will be high on the target priority list of your opponents. Also keep your prism back. It can easily outrange alot of your opponents Anti-tank so wont need as much protection. Also holofeilds actually increase the chance of getting shaken and weapon destroyed results virtually making your prism useless. So simply just swap 'em over.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cocakoala said:
Also holofeilds actually increase the chance of getting shaken and weapon destroyed results virtually making your prism useless. So simply just swap 'em over.
I disagree. I just ran the math and the chance of not being able to use your Fire Prism is worse without Holofields. Percentages are attached to this message.

The calculations are based on the assumption that 1 in 4 shots will be against the rear armour, and that we're not dealing with Melta or AP1 weapons. It takes into account the chance of getting a glancing or penetrating hit based on the strength of the shot, combined with the chance of each result on the damage table in that situation.

Of course, I consider never being able to fire again to be worse than not firing for 1 turn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts