Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So I have just started my chaos space marines army THE FALLEN TEMPLARS. They are a black templars battle force that has fallen from the light of the emperor. one problem though I can not think of a back story seeing as how I lack the knowledge of the black templars in general and I am not very good at writing fiction based stories.

What I am asking in short is, I need information and Ideas that would cause a battleforce of uberzealous soldiers to go renegade.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Templars, are a crusade force by nature. So I suggest, thinking of lost in the warp, or trapped in a system by a warp storm. Then as per "Lord of the Flies" your marines will have lost their way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ah, good novel. I back that suggestion, a company lost on crusade sounds very beliveable. Perhaps use a planet you make up, or I guess you could use an existing one, and have your characters in it, etc etc.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
The idea that some Templars could become renegade is quite a good one, as they're usually seen as ultra-loyal, the true continuer of the Imperial Legions. Are you using a Templars list for this, or a Chaos list?

They way they're organised - basically, a bunch of them go of to fight somewhere and they effectively become an independent crusading warband - could easily lead to stranded, isolated or marooned Templars going off the rails I reckon, especially as they build fortress-monasteries on planets they visit and then may not be back for decades, if at all (the 'parent' crusade may be completely wiped out, the planet may be subject to warp-storms for long periods, anything might happen really...)

Maybe some chaplains in the Crusade have introduced some 'innovations' into the rituals - anything to do with 'warrior cults' is almost bound to lead to worshipping Khorne. Or maybe they've become corrupted by Slaanesh because they've been hanging around for a couple of hundred years in the same place with nothing to do, and have become decadent. Perhaps the planet is a plague-world, with unknown influences from Nurgle, and the Templars slowly succumb to the poisons. Tzeentch-worship is perhaps the least likely, as Templars don't like psychics (can't have Librarians, apparently).

If you know how you want things to turn out (like, you know you want Black Templar Berzerkers or whatever), start from there and work backwards. For example, combining a few of the suggestions above: Berzerkers, ie one-time Sword Bretheren (veteran close-combat squads), are blood-crazed frothing maniacs; they have become so by lauding the ideal of hand to hand combat over personal safety, tactical sense, loyalty to the Emperor etc; they've done that because they've been brainwashed by their Chaplains that feats of arms are the only measure of worth; the Chaplains have done that because they're drawn from a planet where personal heroism is prized as the main manly virtue; that's because the Templars established this monastery on a virtual death-world because they needed lots of recruits for a crusade that was going badly, and was wiped out, leading to the planet being forgotten...

Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OOO or how about how they dont follow the index astates that an inquisitor has deemed them heriteical and sweighing from their chapters belifs.... of course not accusinng the rest of the chapter of the same... not knowing that they are all ignoring the codex astartes... (mission in codex black templars)

·
Registered
272 Posts
all sounds rather sweet. i would have to go with a fortress guard gone mad when warp storms cut of the planet from the rest of the system.

on another subject does anyone have any info on the alfa legion and its original home world when they were loyal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
templers are are pretty loyal, it would be way to hard to make them turn renegade, but dont do the same old lost in the warp fluff like almost every other renegade sm background. who cares what i say about this but i think it would be cool if part of them had too much of a lust for crusading and burned innocent planets just for the sake of it..... or somthing.

good luck on the fluff

·
Registered
745 Posts
maybe they started to use psykers to help combat chaos and instead of helping they succomb to the whispers of chaos without realising it until it was to late. the librarians unleashed chaos powers on the unturned marines and cleared out the warband of any loyalist threats and now they are on their own little black crusade against the imperium.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I reckon turning to Tzeentch through use of psykers is the least likely possibility personally. They don't have Librarians coz it's a bit too Chaos-y. They're unlikely to suddenly go, "tell you what, let's not only reverse 10,000 years of tradition and get psykers, but then, when we have, we'll not bother to keep an eye on them, because they probably won't turn to chaos, even though we've spent a hundred centuries warning everyone they will. Oh shit, our new psykers just turned to chaos".

We know BT are nearly as mad for blood as Blood Angels, their whole "shoot my mate and I'll ****in' have yer" rule (I forget the name of it) makes it much more likely that they'd turn to Khorne, don't you think?

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Maybe go with an arrogance angle. We are Black Templars, no one can defeat us we are the most holy and we're gonna prove it.
Maybe someone questioned their loyalty in some way and they took it as such an insult that they lost it big time and slaughtered their accusers.
when news of what they had done reached Tera they were declared renegade, this really pissed them off and in the biggest hissy fit the galaxy has ever seen they declared alleigence to chaos.
hope this helps

·
Registered
745 Posts
I reckon turning to Tzeentch through use of psykers is the least likely possibility personally. They don't have Librarians coz it's a bit too Chaos-y. They're unlikely to suddenly go, "tell you what, let's not only reverse 10,000 years of tradition and get psykers, but then, when we have, we'll not bother to keep an eye on them, because they probably won't turn to chaos, even though we've spent a hundred centuries warning everyone they will. Oh shit, our new psykers just turned to chaos".

We know BT are nearly as mad for blood as Blood Angels, their whole "shoot my mate and I'll ****in' have yer" rule (I forget the name of it) makes it much more likely that they'd turn to Khorne, don't you think?

true they may not just start using psykers but maybe if some start manifesting psyker powers but kept it hidden because they knew they would be purged and then chaos used this and corrupted them or it could have been a chaos plan to try and corrupt the most devote marines and after 10k years they finally succeeded. just a idea for the thread maker to think about :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
in my eyes there are two quite nice Options

You could have your men travelling throught the warp when all of a sudden their gallier(not sure if that the right word let alone the right spelling) shield goes down, all of a sudden the warp is unleashed upon the ship, althought the ship is quickly pulled out of the warp the seeds of chaos have been sown,over a few months the troops slowly fall to chaos.

option 2: The troops start the old blood sacrifice rituals, this slowy turn to drink the blood of the enemy to make the drinker stronger, then finally drink the blood as an offering to the blood god.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know much about BT but I presume they lots of chaplians to compensat from lack of librarians
So I think you should have, that on a crusade though the warp a chaplian was lost on a chaos planet and slowly turned to khorn when he sis found he leads the purnging of the world but slowly his sermon start to sound like chaos....
You could create a cool character for this
:grin:

·
Registered
185 Posts
How about they build one of there Fortress-Monasteries on a planet that has been already marked for taint by the Alpha Legion and all the recruits have been tainted and they turn on founding masters.......

·
Registered
621 Posts
They way they're organised - basically, a bunch of them go of to fight somewhere and they effectively become an independent crusading warband - could easily lead to stranded, isolated or marooned Templars going off the rails I reckon, especially as they build fortress-monasteries on planets they visit and then may not be back for decades, if at all (the 'parent' crusade may be completely wiped out, the planet may be subject to warp-storms for long periods, anything might happen really...)
I really like this idea. Stranded and isolated Templers turning sounds a great starting point for a really in-depth story.

The Alpha Legion's home world is unknown as Alphairus was found by the Emperor while he was on a small space craft and he refused to say where his homeworld was.
Hope thats some help

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
their commander could have dissagreed with the fleet commander over a punishment to one of his templars and the commander could have shot the templar and then then the captain could have destroyed the adrimal, general ect ship and formed a alliance with chaos and is now become a warlord

·
Registered
17 Posts
how about

black templar 3rd founding chapter get lost in the warp in their battle barges or capital ship. and one of the captains, a heretic, invites khrone into their souls and become stronger for it. that captain can be your chapter master or chaos lord and you can have daemons. yay!

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
There are some good ideas here. Hopefully, I can add a couple more.

The Black Templars are led into battle by their Chaplains. While their faith is nigh-unshakable, it's not flawless. Witnessing a particularly horrendous act by a governor of an Imperial world against loyal citizen, and not being able to prosecute the governor for whatever reason (protection by the Adeptus Ministorum, an Inquisitor, etc.) could make them begin to question their faith. Eventually, that can lead down the road to the realization that the Imperium is totally corrupt, and his sermons begin to alter accordingly.

This is sort of an Iron Warriors angle, as far as how they fall. Space Marines take their recruiting very seriously, and while most recruit from more than one world, the Black Templars recruit from dozens. However, some worlds are more steady suppliers of acceptable recruits than others. Perhaps a particularly important recruiting ground to the Black Templars has been found guilty of treason/heresy/tax evasion/whatever on false evidence. A crusade is launched and is successfully prosecuted. The Marshal of the crusade discovers, in the final moments of the crusade, that he's not only exterminated millions of loyal Imperial citizens, but he's destroyed one of the most valuable recruiting grounds the Black Templars have. He takes it as an affront to the Chapter and to his honor, as do many of the Crusaders. They then lash out at the corrupt Imperium that forced them into such a situation.

While psychic screening is usually pretty flawless, particularly when Space Marines are involved, it doesn't mean that latent abilities can surface much later. What if a Marshal or Chaplain develops psychic abilities, and becomes possessed?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Ok, A warband of Black templers, Loves thir leader beyond all else They are utterly loyal to him. Folow his every instruction every comand without question. When he gets mortaly wounded in battle they Pannic pray and pray and pray untill they dont have any prares left. then, when all hope is lost A Chaos Scrocerer disguised as a traveling priest shows up an offers them their comander back. For a favor to be paid later. He heals the comander and shows his true colors disapearing into the night ( or the warp) and for 10 years the warband caries on with a hole in there hearts, groeing ever more fearfull that the truth will get out. Then in the middle of a siege them some other marines or guard or whatever against some chaos the scorcerer apears and demands they turn on their comrads. They refuse and he thretens to undo what he did, After having stewed for 10 years over their choise they give in to him and turn on their comrads, and the survivers tell leaving them no choise but to flee and the scorcerer and his minions offer them refuge but they refuse, fleeing ever further chased by chaos and impirial alike untill they are forced to take refuge in the Eye of Terror, where they gradualy over severalhundered years give in to chaos and forsake the Emporer. Declairing themselves the Fallen Templors.

Excuse my spelling.

...Hold on why am I helping a heratic? (LOL)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts