Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, Heretics. It's been a while.

A long, long while.

To old-school Heretics, it's me again; to more recent crewmembers of the good ship Heresy, my name's Svartmetall, and I do Nurgle. A lot.

So...how best to explain my absence? Well, rather than get into an extensive rant about their employment practices, honesty and morality, suffice to say the way GW left me feeling after 3 years of working for them basically killed the hobby for me. I didn't want to sculpt, didn't want to paint, didn't want anything to do with anything GW.

But.

I'm still me, and the things that move and inspire me still move and inspire me. Maybe it's just the passage of time that has allowed the anger and bitterness to subside, maybe I've just finally drunk enough beer in the intervening time to not give quite so much of a shit any more, but for whatever reason I've done more modelling work in the last 2 months than in the preceding 2 years put together; so I think I can safely say I'm back. Back, and making horrible Nurgly things with a vengeance.

I promise Death Guard Defilers, Predators, Dreadnoughts and more, very soon.

_____

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Cool. Svart is back, I am recently returned myself. Your work has always been the benchmark for disgusting corruption. May it continue to be so.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Good to see you back, Svart!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
welcome back! i used to browse your posts for inspiration ! Hope to see you again on the board !

·
Mentally hilarious
864 Posts
Good to see you back, Svartmetall.

You've always been a great source of inspiration and motivator to keep honing my own green stuff skills.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Welcome back good sir. I'm glad to hear the bastards couldn't keep you down.

·
3,351 Posts
Oh, and I was diagnosed as autistic (high-functioning) at the end of 2014. Which probably explains a lot :)
Huh. I'm curious but I don't want to pry.

How did that come about? And how old are you? These days that's the sort of thing which is usually identified during childhood in the states. Is it different in the UK?

Is the diagnosis a good thing for you?

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Huh. I'm curious but I don't want to pry.
Ask away; if I wasn't willing to talk about it with people I wouldn't have mentioned it. I decided as soon as I was diagnosed that it wasn't something I was going to hide, or feel embarrassed about.

And how old are you? These days that's the sort of thing which is usually identified during childhood in the states. Is it different in the UK?
Yeah, that's one thing with being older; I was born in 1967, and autism wasn't a thing back then. The consultant who diagnosed me said if I'd been born 20 years later alarm bells would have gone off straight away in infants school, but given the time...ehh, they just thought I was a weird kid, all I wanted to do at 3 was read books and be on my own making things (Lego, Airfix kits, whatever); I scored very high in everything academic but had no social skills whatsoever.

Is the diagnosis a good thing for you?
Definitely. Now I know why I am the way I am, and it's explained so much about my life to date. My whole life has basically been an unconscious coping mechanism, and at least now I know why things often seemed so hard or people so incomprehensible to me.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Welcome back Svart, Heresy has taken some hits in recent times, but the most dedicated remain. Glad to see another veteran returning.

Definitely. Now I know why I am the way I am, and it's explained so much about my life to date. My whole life has basically been an unconscious coping mechanism, and at least now I know why things often seemed so hard or people so incomprehensible to me.
I know how you feel. My own Aspergers makes people often baffling and barely understandable to me, even when i've been aware of it since childhood. It's good that you know now though, it makes things easier when you are aware of the reason things are different for you.

LotN

·
3,351 Posts
Glad to hear it. I know it's nothing to be embarrassed about but some people may be uncomfortable talking about it, so I wanted to be considerate.

And that makes sense. I have a family member who has Asperger's syndrome and is about 20 years old now. Also similarly high functioning and very academically able, but socially awkward. They picked up on the problem very early and were able to work on it and help cope.

Hopefully this brings you greater peace.

And as always, I'll be looking forward to your next stellar project.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts