Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, thought I'd introduce myself as I have been lurking here for quite a while.
First got into 40k and Warhammer back in the 80's. As a kid I had Rogue trader, Slaves to Darkness, Dark Future and a horde of Bloodbowl, 40k and random fantasy miniatures. TBH I loved the painting and modelling more than playing.
A couple of years ago I was abroad for a while and a fiend of mine, knowing that I may have some downtime on my hands with not much to do, sent me a squad of Marines, a 40k rule book and some paints. I painted a couple, badly, and left it at that however it had whetted my appetite.
A year later I strolled past a GW shop with my daughter and decided to pop in and see what's new. The prices were a little "higher" than I was expecting, but the quality of the models was outstanding compared to the plastics and metals that I remembered.
A friend and I split the cost of a second hand copy of Assault on Black Reach, he took the marines and I fancied having a crack at the Orks. Never played the game, but kept the Orks. I picked up some more paints at a car boot and decided to have a go at painting them. I did the first 10 Orks slow time and frankly, looking at them now they are rubbish. Just undercoat, base coats and dry brushing.
Found the Ork Painting guide on this very forum HERE, and after studying that, picking up the new Ork Codex and some Inks/ Shades from my local GW I set out to have a crack at the next 10.
I really enjoyed this lot, and started to develop the basic skills all over again, the paints and inks are far and away better than the ones I remember using in the past 30 years ago. By the time I started on the Nobs, I was trying out highlights and basic blending before finally getting started on the warboss.
Admittedly I have a long way to go, but I am chuffed to bits with the progress I have made over the last couple of weeks. I'm going to build up a 1000 point Ork army, painted to table top standard and finally try my hand at actually playing at some point.
So long story short, it's been 30 (ish) years, but I am back.

The photos show my first painting since the early 90's, starting from left to right. Boy basic paints random colours and dry brushing, second boy some shades used, no highlights, Nob shades and some highlights, Warboss, shades, highlights, blending and some work still to do.

Attachments

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Nice work so far :good:

And welcome back to the hobby! :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. :)
Looking to build up my basic Black Reach army with some interesting, and fun models. Got some GW virtual vouchers for my birthday so trying to decide what to spend my loot on.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Wow an oldie. Congratulations upon making the transition from Lurker to Poster. I hope that you enjoy your time here even more and congratulations upon the progression of your painting skills.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Wow an oldie.
*Aims slugga at back of Loli's head*

Hey welcome back to the great hobby. There were a bunch of us orks running around here but not so much anymore. It is always good to have another orker running around this place. Explore and you will find other parts to help you build your waaagh.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
No fair. I like oldies, oldies are cool, wise, experienced, full of war stories from 'back in my day', can't beat an oldie. Having played for so long you will always have a point of view us young uns will never have.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Easy, 'fang. Easy..... Let's just point that at some other forum in case it goes off, eh? :laugh:

That's it. Nice deep breaths. Now, take your meds and lets get you back to your armchair. Loli, bring his slippers :)

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Easy, 'fang. Easy..... Let's just point that at some other forum in case it goes off, eh? :laugh:

That's it. Nice deep breaths. Now, take your meds and lets get you back to your armchair. Loli, bring his slippers :)
What do you mean in case.....it's a slugg it is going to go off, whether or not one pulls the trigger or not.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
No fair. I like oldies, oldies are cool, wise, experienced, full of war stories from 'back in my day', can't beat an oldie. Having played for so long you will always have a point of view us young uns will never have.
That's right just like I told you to say. Now let me back my looted motorized scooter off your neck and you young uns can go play nice before I go all Waaa:lazy2:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your posting endeavours here :good:

If you need any help with painting tips or techniques, let us know and we will do what we can to help you out :)
It's interesting you say that, I've spent the last day or two painting and practising differing techniques. I really like the monthly painting and conversion threads on here, and I think I may have a crack at one of those shortly.
So far I've painted up my warboss, 5 Nobs and 20 boyz and just finished up my first deffkopta. I tried out some paint chipping techniques I saw on YT, but I'm not really happy with the way they've turned out. I may have to have another crack at them.
Basically, I am really enjoying browsing through the work that members are displaying on here and trying to work out how they produced such effective results. There are some very talented individuals on here.

I am picking paints up bit by bit as I need them, and am also picking up a unit here or there based on what looks like it will be fun to paint and eventually use on the table top.
I'm also spending my time whilst painting listening to battle reports on YT, which helps put me in the right frame of mind and understand the modern game a bit better as reading the book from scratch is a bit dry and difficult to take in in one go.
I decided to use my vouchers on a Big Mek with Shokk attack gun, some gretchin, Lootas and Ammo runts. I also picked up another 20 boyz and a Nob on ebay for mucho cheapness.
I am working through the lot at the moment, painting bits at a time until they are all done, so far my Waaagh consists of...
Warboss,
6 Nobs
3 DeffKoptas
40x Boyz
5 Lootas
10x Gretchin & runtherd
Big Mek & Shokk attack gun
2x Ammo runts
With various upgrades like eavy armour and such, it looks like this would be a nudge under a 1000 points, if I am calculating it right.
I'd quite like a Battlewagon, but TBH I really like the novelty fun stuff, and have been looking at the Grot tanks on Forge World. They look like tons of fun.
TBH, I like the idea of a fun, unpredictable army that doesn't take itself too seriously and is quite forgiving with painting "accuracy" at the moment.
Anyway, thanks again for the welcome chaps, I have made heresy a daily stop for the last couple of weeks, and have enjoyed reading what's been going on with other members. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
You should post some pics of your models in the modeling and painting section to share with the others.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts