Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm wanting to convert my BaC contemptor dread for my Iron warriors army (40k).... I started with the idea of adding some etched brass, which I have done to the shoulders, but it doesnt look very good on the chest piece. I wondered how it would look with more armour plating on the front, but am unsure how to actually go about adding the extra armour.

My first thought was green stuff over the front, but not sure how practical this would be to do - I'm no scultping expert and dont want to waste a load of GS and ruin a model which Ive managed to repose to great effect. Would the extra armour be better done with plasticard, and if so, how would it be done? Single sheet wrapped round? Lots of small sheets? A skim of green stuff with plasticard stuck over the top?

I sort of imagine the armour being a bit like the newer Mk SM armour with a high gorget, but with pipes etc on it to be a bit similar to the FW IW contemptor.

Any help, inspiration, ideas or other input greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Closet Dictator
3,429 Posts
Try using card first, like cereal packet or toilet roll core, it is easily bendable and can me made quite rigid with watered down pva glue. You can tack that on to the model without ruining it. Once you've got the fit right, then I would go for a master piece made from plasti card. You could also use a load chain hanging off his chest to simulate extra armour, kind of like chain mail, him being an iron warrior an evil despot

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I've seen a very nice contemptor that had small ball bearings glued into predrilled holes all over the chest piece to simulate reinforced armour similar to the legs and shoulder pads of mkIV power armour. Carry it on to the legs and it would look really cool. It could be tricky getting the spacing right, so it might be good to mark out the holes with a marker to make sure you got it just right. Like the old carpenter's adage, measure twice, cut once.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a go with the plasticard and forming some extra plating, but it didn't look quite how i imagined it would. It could be me being a bit shit with my modelling skills.

I like the idea of the ball bearings - I'll try it out as a test with some 2mm bearings and see how it goes. It might give a bot of scope to ass extra pipes/tubes and the like to the front and make it more IW.

In other news, my custom butcher cannon and chainfist with in-built melta gun came out well!!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts