·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends seem to be having a dilemma. How do you pronounce "Baal?"

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
This is the correct form. Although I still pronounce it like the first syllable of balance in my own head.
You sure? Because I've always heard it pronounced as Bahl(with the long a), by GW staff and anyone else I talk about 40k with. Bale is how it's pronounced in most other depictions, but to me it's just one of those things that pronounced differently in this particular setting. Much like how virtually everyone pronounced vox as 'vox' and not as 'wox'.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've always thought it was 'bale/bail.' Lately, fellow gamers are going out of their way to say 'ball.' But that feels so wrong. I don't mind 'bahl' though.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
It's named after a demon from mythology, and Bale is how that is pronounced. I wouldn't take how a GW employee pronounces it as proof of it being anything otherwise. It's just one of those words that people only see written down rather than actually spoken, so the inclination is to pronounce it as written.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I'm not saying GW employees are gospel. Just that the general accepted pronunciation seems to be predominately Bahl. Again, Vox is Wox, but you will find hardly a single person that pronounces it as such.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I always pronounced in 'Barl', but I believe it's supposed to be pronounced 'Bale'.
I'm pretty sure it's pronounced barl since that's how it says it's pronounced on here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal unless I'm reading it wrong

The yanks pronounce it bale but as usual they're wrong ;)

The one that always gets me is c'tan. To me that's cuh-tan but I know some people say see-tan

Roboute Guilliman is another one which gets argued about. For me this is row-boot gull-i-man but I'm not 100% sure

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
The one that always gets me is c'tan. To me that's cuh-tan but I know some people say see-tan
I've always pronounced C'tan with a hard 'k' sound as well, Suh-tan doesn't have the same 'feel' to it (and sounds like you're mispronouncing Satan to boot).

Roboute Guilliman is another one which gets argued about. For me this is row-boot gull-i-man but I'm not 100% sure
Ro-booty Gull-im-man is the audio books' pronunciation IIRC, despite 'Ro-booty' sounding utterly ridiculous.

While we're on the topic, Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka is often split up into it's constituent parts very clearly which rather ruins the joke, in my opinion - you're supposed to kinda garble the 'Mag Uruk' part.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts