Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, thanks everyone who has helped me develop and learn this BA mech list of mine. I have been making changes, finding out weaknesses, and modifying it as I have fought more and more armies. Really appreciate all the advice and tips for I have been getting for a new player like myself.

Below is the list as I have tweaked it out. The list has not been played with yet below. The changes are done because I think they will help with the weakness I see in the RB Mech BA list.

After playing with it multiple times the biggest weakness I see is high AV12/13/14. (Primarily having a hard time vs those LRs and StormRavens) I cannot pierce it with all TL AsC RB's. I need those rending shots and it just isnt as reliable as the statistics bring it out to be. Meltas on the other hand have been decently reliable if I get my hits off. Thus comes in the Landspeeder unit with Meltas.

For backup I also put in a Pred with Las Sponsoons. So I have all those Las that can help with the piercing of the armor.

I have also dropped my one DC x5 + Reclusiarch combo in a RB. Just seemed that whenever that RB got popped and they DC were not walking and getting shot at...the game was over :/

Librarian was my HQ replacement and I have to say thanks again for that tip! Hood + 6" cover saves from the hull to surrounding vehicles is lovely. If I have enough points left over I will put another Librarian in.

So that's how my list has evolved and I am waiting to test it out probably next week or so.

-Thoughts? Advice? CC welcomed! Especially advice on unit placement.
-How to effectively make AV13 walls and what not. Would you RB in back and AV13's in front as an arc with Speeders in between?
-What do you guys think of doing 2x Baal 2x Vindi 2x Pred?
-We usually play on a 48" board placing at 12" on each side. So on my turn 2 if I go first or my turn 1 if they go first I should be able to move into MM range. If I wait for a second turn I can effectively move my LS 6" and fire all my MM's popping and taking care of my AV13/14 problems.
-Should I remove sponsoons on my Baal Preds? What are you guys experience who run Baal Preds with removing sponsoons and just using them as TL AsC tanks. Seems kind of...lackluster but have had a few people suggest it.

*Updated: Modified the list. Removed drop pod honour guard meltas and replaced with Landspeeder with MM. Seemed to go with my theme more often and easier to not counter by just holding reserves and having my drop pod go off randomly...

Librarian
Assault Squad
Transport: Razorback
TL Assault Cannons

Assault Squad
TL Assault Cannons

Assault Squad
TL Assault Cannons

Assault Squad
TL Assault Cannons

Baal Predator
Heavy Bolters

Baal Predator
Heavy Bolters

Predator
Las Cannons Sponsoons

Predator
Las Cannons Sponsoons

Land Speeder
Multi-Melta x 3
Tornado: Multi-Melta x 2

·
Registered
990 Posts
I would give the Honour Guard Jump Packs, with DOA you'll still get them early. If I had a Land Raider & saw your list I'd just hold my mech in reserve & force you to pod down in your first turn at nothing, then you'll die. So, switch the pod for jump packs. I'd also be tempted to give your Librarian a jump pack & run him with the Honour Guard too, give him The Sanguine Sword & Blood Lance & you've got a very mean anti tank unit that can also hurt MCs.

Dallas

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think the list is fine, I think the Drop Pod is out of place though. I think the "wait" till it comes into play thing is too unreliable. Especially since this is pretty much go all out fire power. I think you should go all out.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think the list is fine, I think the Drop Pod is out of place though. I think the "wait" till it comes into play thing is too unreliable. Especially since this is pretty much go all out fire power. I think you should go all out.
His drop pod would HAVE to come down beginning of his first turn, hence the unreliability of it that I outlined above. Descent of Angels is better than drop pods.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Major overhaul on list! What do you guys think of the new changes? First post modified to show new list and updates.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Question for a none BA Codex Owner -

Are Baal predators Fast Attack? If not, why do you 4x HS slots? Either way, wouldn't bother with HB Sponsons, and leave it as is.

From a Marine players PoV, Assault Squad/Rhino Assault squads are horrendous - you have 5 Bolt Pistol shots when you exit onto nothing, no assault. As others have said. DoA is a far better option - unless of course BA vehicles are now assault vehicles? If you're definate on the Razors, then imho, Heavy Flamer is the best, as you can line them up and burnt through them.

Tornado should be a MM+HF, as you cannot move and fire 2 S5 + Weapons.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
990 Posts
Question for a none BA Codex Owner -

Are Baal predators Fast Attack?
Yes.

Heavy Bolter sponsons are great, you can move 6'' & fire everything, and they have scout too. I also find that if you get a weapon disabled result without sponsons then you're just left with an expensive battering ram. I do think that Flamestorm Baals can run without sponsons, just because they rely on getting so close.
From a Marine players PoV, Assault Squad/Rhino Assault squads are horrendous - you have 5 Bolt Pistol shots when you exit onto nothing, no assault. As others have said. DoA is a far better option - unless of course BA vehicles are now assault vehicles? If you're definate on the Razors, then imho, Heavy Flamer is the best, as you can line them up and burnt through them.
Yes, but Heavy Flamers need you to get very close, so I think they'd need Astorath to ensure as many 5 man RAS get FC (if/when their rides are popped) without adding in loads of Priests. I personally prefer to stay at Assault Cannon range.
Tornado should be a MM+HF.
Agreed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MM+HF are both 5+ str also so I wouldn't be able to fire both anyways?

I prefer the Baals for sure with sponsoons in case they get a weapon destroyed destroyed. It's been many times that my opponent will get a weapon destroyed on it and then ignore it after but those 6 HB shots later in the game come into much use when the opponents transports are popped etc.

Why do you say mech BA isn't good? I've tried both and I find mech much more my playstyle. Much easier to move around. Since everything BA is fast (except LRs) it allows me to have really good positioning vs other armies.

Ex. Horde is suppose to be one of BA's worst enemies but when I fight Ork I just lay all my shots into their mobile units. Once thats dead I just kite around all the rest of the units with my fast guys.

Also makes it much easier to move to objectives. It also makes it much harder for my opponent to choose what to shoot at. The transports that are incoming to unload the RAS' or the currently more threatening Landspeeder + Baal + Predator + Vindicator. (Thinking of adding 1 Vindicator down the line)

Another thing is even after I unload the inside guys the Razors that have their weapons destroyed still provide awesome cover and "walls" depending on what I need them for. Block their LR or force them to destroy it because it's in their path gives me another extra turn to shoot at them or get into better positions. :)

At least thats my opinion on it and my preferred playstyle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts