Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody! I've been wanting to start posting a project log for a while and here it is! :yahoo:
Now as a word of warning, I'm not nearly as good as the greats here like Varakir or Ultra111

so with out further adieu the first model i will post my Death Company WIP

Sword Detail

i apologize about the picture quality i qas working with some poor lighting due to rain clouds
The sword "energy" isn't the best but its not my worse, anyways C&C please :grin:

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
I am not able to see your photos

·
Registered
0 Posts
bleached bone is great for parchment and you can weather it with devlan mud nicely too. You have the basics of getting the paint on the model down well and it looks neat which in and of itself can be hard.

I would suggest working on drybrushing and highlighting as they will really give your models some pop.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Mouldlines, mouldlines, and you don't use primer?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to quote someone I saw on teh internets once "I don't undercoat...I overcoat!"
Haha yea that's what I do.:biggrin:
The reason I don't use primer, other than monetary reasons, is that I have had some really bad experiences with primer, though I have friends pushing me to use Krylon

Djinn24, I plan to add more highlights when I get grey paint, I'm thinking fortress grey, within probably the next few days. Dry brushing is defiantly something I need to work on, do you have any thecniques for drybrushing, or suggestions for colors to drybrush?

·
Registered
0 Posts
1. Use a primer, when they push my damn beginners painter tutorial through it explains why. Shake well, short even bursts, several coats, not when its humid.

2. Take an old brush dip the tips of the bristles into the color you want to highlight. Wipe all the paint off and then using a paper towel drag the brush over it a few times to make sure you have no paint hiding then you basically do what you were doing on the paper towel on the model, dragging the tips of the bristels over the model, what you are trying to do is get the paint to stuck to the hard edges of the model.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I started this Plog a year ago and then abandoned it. Well now that schools out (and I don't have enough money for the next semester) I want to get back into the swing of posting and I'll start by trying to keep updating this thread!
So to start, here's the finished version of the Death Company Marine

And 3 of his buddies

Here's to doing this waaay more often! :drinks: Now please, critic at will!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hey good work so far but I think that some of the advice given is important.

1. You really need to invest in a primer...maybe army painter.

2. dilute your paints down and paint thiner coats..you can always add more as needed.

3. thin highlights on the black armor to give it that "pop"!

4. washes are your friend.....you could even try the dips from army painter.

Doc

·
Registered
835 Posts
A nice start, but some of the colours could do with a little thinning.

But that all comes with practice, practice, practice!

Keep it up, look forward to more soon!

·
Registered
241 Posts
The_Hive_Emperor,

Glad to hear that you're a fellow scion of Sanguinius. The Death Company are some of the nicer Marine kits out there right now and they do provide loads of option to individualize your rage-filled Astartes.

Looking at your work, a couple of advice:

1) Invest in primer - some recommended Army Painter, but I've always stuck w/ the Citadel brand. You mentioned in an older post that you don't use primers due to monetary reason, which I can totally understand. However, given the fact that you've invested 30-40 bucks for a Death Company kit already, you should save some money for primer before working on them. It's not too difficult to work w/ a spray can, all you need is to be in a well-ventilated area & have your assembled marines blu-tac at the base to an old box (DC box would work). Shake the can for a full-minute, hold the figs to about 12" away, shoot the primer in controlled burst and remember to apply two thin coats (it dries pretty quick, tbh) as it's better than one thick coat.

2) Water down your paints - thin it out so it's at the consistency of slightly thickened milk.... but not overly runny. Again, thin coats, wait for the first layer to dry before applying next layer.

3) Your grey highlights are too thick - edge highlights over black can be very striking, but you have to have control. Try getting some grey onto your brush, then immediately get the paint off the brush leaving only a small hint of residue. Now apply the highlight using the side of the bristles, not the tip. Drag the side of the brush along the edge of the mini. This way the edge on the mini will only pick up the paint, resulting in the high-light effect. Using the tip might leave you w/ squiggly lines since you're trying to 'aim' for the edge.

Hope this helps!

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Definitely a good start, and I agree with the general consensus that you need to thin your paints. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the eyes. Seeing as you have so much red on the rest of the models, the eyes would give you the oppurtunity to add a small spot colour. Green would work very well, and it would help break up all the red on the helmet.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the comments guys!
Edit: have you edge highlighted every black edge? have you layered the reds? Sorry I can't quite tell from the pics.
Not on all of them have been highlighted, the marine with the older PF has not been highlighted yet, but that was because I have a lot of models to paint (I bought a friends army when he switched races) and I want to get more of my force done. And yes I use multiple layers of red, I've noticed that with multiple coats blood red looks way more red.

. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the eyes. Seeing as you have so much red on the rest of the models, the eyes would give you the oppurtunity to add a small spot colour. Green would work very well, and it would help break up all the red on the helmet.
I had not thought of that, I'll give that a try on the next helmeted DC marine I do :biggrin:

As for primer I will be investing in some once I have money and because of school and a ticket :)headbutt::headbutt::headbutt:) I currently don't, but I will remedy that. On those models I had not yet discovered watering down, but I was recently shown this technique so I will be using it!

·
Registered
403 Posts
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the eyes. Seeing as you have so much red on the rest of the models, the eyes would give you the oppurtunity to add a small spot colour. Green would work very well, and it would help break up all the red on the helmet.
Just to add to this one, it al depends on how steady your are with your brush or how comfortable you feel layering the eye lens'. When i first started doing my eyes I didn't feel skilled enough to do three layers on there so i tried something different, all i did was use skull white on the lens, then use a green wash and drop it on there it worked realy well if I'm honest, and if you don't have a wash just thin a dark green right out prob 3/4:1 water: Paint.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
156 Posts
Haha yea that's what I do.:biggrin:
The reason I don't use primer, other than monetary reasons, is that I have had some really bad experiences with primer, though I have friends pushing me to use Krylon

Djinn24, I plan to add more highlights when I get grey paint, I'm thinking fortress grey, within probably the next few days. Dry brushing is defiantly something I need to work on, do you have any thecniques for drybrushing, or suggestions for colors to drybrush?
Krylon works wonders unless you get a really bad can. I'd get some, its only $3 USD and without some sort of primer your paint is going to chip.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts