Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so on pages 83-84, C:BA lists Librarians, Captains and Reclusiarch's as having "Boltgun or Bolt Pistol". In the options section, it says "Replace Boltgun and/or Boltpistol" Does this mean that I can choose to replace both of these? For example, on a Libby, does this mean I can give him a hand flamer AND a plasma pistol? ( Not sure if I would, just as an example.) Seeing as this isn't mentioned in the FAQ, maybe this was intentional. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Libby and Reclusiarch both have a bolt gun and a bolt pistol so you could switch both of them if you wanted to because you are retaining the force weapon and crozius... just thought I would point that out...

·
Registered
468 Posts
The libby and reclusiarch have a boltgun or bolt pistol you have to choose one, you can't have both.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes. They have 1 or the other. Longer/more shots, or an extra CC attack. You have to pick one or the other. And as far as the Captain goes, Yes. You can take 2 shooting weapons, but can only fire 1, so it kind of defeats the purpose. That's why you really only ever see a character..or any model, really, with a 2h gun or a pistol and CCW.

The wording of "You may replace the boltgun and/or bolt pistol.." means that if you have chosen the Boltgun, you can replace it..or if you chose the pistol, you can replace it..not both. You can always model them with 3 weapons if you want, but they can only ever make use of 2.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The wording of "You may replace the boltgun and/or bolt pistol.." means that if you have chosen the Boltgun, you can replace it..or if you chose the pistol, you can replace it..not both. You can always model them with 3 weapons if you want, but they can only ever make use of 2.
I respectfully disagree. Any model with this text can replace both if you wish.

Why?

Page 81, Blood Angel Codex, 2nd Column, OPTIONS:
This section lists all of the upgrades you may add to the unit if you wish to do so alongside the associated points cost for each. Where an option states that you may exchange one weapon 'and/or' another, you may replace either, neither or both provided you pay the points cost.
BUT

You are correct in the case of the Librarian, this does not apply as he doesn't have both weapons. The 'and' should never have been included in the text.

It is important to be very clear on this, because you defined a rule that applies to more then just the Librarian, and the definiton is not 100% correct.

·
Registered
383 Posts
As well as the Reclusiarch/Chaplain. It has the same text, but they can only have 1. The Captain is an exception, but as stated...you can only shoot a single weapon, so you are shooting yourself in the face if you replace both. Which is why I always tell people that ask this question that it's 1 or the other, depending on which you choose to take. More as a guide to let people know that you are basically wasting points in trying to kit a captain out with weapons that he cant use. Sure..you can take 2 combi-Meltas and have 2 Melta shots with him on 2 separate turns..but why pay the points for a 1 shot gun when those points can be better spent else where..?

I guess if you WANT to spend points there, you theoretically CAN do it..but..it's a waste..

EDIT: Actually, upon looking at the Codex, no. You can't. The basic Wargear options list specifically says Boltgun OR Bolt Pistol, not both. The wording is correct in the options, because it depends on what you choose to take as his basic ranged weapon. You have to choose one or the other, not both.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ya... you guys are right, I must have been looking at something else when I said that they could have both =/

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ya I wish I could get that... I just don't make enough money to get that (don't have a job lol)...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts