Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been playing 40k now about 2 months or so. I wouldn't consider myself a "pro" so please take these thoughts and ideas as just that. Thoughts and ideas of someone who has played BA Mech primarily.

Army lists below.

After playing BA Mech for so long I have come up with several ideas of deployment that I think have been very helpful. Many of you probably already know these methods but this is just me spilling ideas because I need some help with some stuff.

If I go 1st I would split my army straight down the middle. 2x Preds, 2x Razors, 1x Baal on the left and the same on the right of my side of the board. If my opponent decides to concentrate on one side of the board I will use my vehicles all being fast to my advantage and regroup in the center and shoot him down while strafing around the board.

If I go 2nd I will usually place ever AV13 vehicle in the front of all my RB's and place everything on his weakest side of the board. Armies that are not as fast as me will get out gunned in a side sweeping advance of all my shots.

I have no experience with vs IG leafblower so none of what I say will regard them.

What I am having a problem with my lists is "power." I don't have any real scary threats to my opponent in assault and most of my strength comes from ranged, mobile and accurate fire power. With that being said it feels like if I wanted to fire down on everything I should just take up an IG leafblower list... Anyways, when I start losing my RBs or a Baal it drastically hinders my ability to continue to keep pressure on my opponent and to win the game. I've heard of units called "deathstar" units that are a huge threat to the opponent and will thus take all the shots. Has anyone played with these in a list of primarily BA mech? I have yet to try that strategy to keep my opponents off my firepower.

Normally when I start losing RBs at the beginning (if my opp has turn 1 especially) my Assault Squads have to walk their way somewhere just to stay threatening. But everyone knows 5 RAS is not scary and will just get massacred by themselves. There is no "oomph" anywhere in the list that shows a real threat to my opponent. I find getting a weapon destroyed on anything I have or a cannot shoot and move drastically immobilizes my army. When I get these I usually them deploy my RAS and try to assault something. Usually with very little success.

-I have been contemplating a Sanguinary Priest and after turn 1 having 2 deployed with 2 of my RBs so that way all my RAS will have a priest at least nearby. That can tie down almost anything for a while while I make my shots elsewhere.

-I have also been debating if I should get rid of my Predators (Auto/Las) and replace them with TL Autocannon Dreads. 1 less armor from the front, 1 more armor from the side, and cost less points with more assured fire power. I say assured fire power because of TL. None of the weapons on my pred is TL so missing is even easier there and it just feels with TL it's such a kick in the balls when I invest 135 pts into a vehicle that gets popped next turn after not really doing it's "thing". I like TL :) I'm not sure if it's just me but it feels like the Auto/Las Preds aren't very effective. Maybe even a Devastator squad with 4 Missle Launchers but everytime that is suggested someone shoots it down as not working with the BA theme of fast. Hiding them behind armor or in cover is not hard to do. Pop them out when their ready to shoot. Even maneuvering them around behind my RBs isnt hard. And if there is something more threatening coming at them or Dreds drop podding in, I'm sure they will leave these alone because of having to deal with the more immediate threat first. I could be wrong.

-I keep getting told at my local shop that Stormravens are one of the best transports around and that I should run 2. This would ofcourse limit me to dropping a Predator. I have only ran one so far and have had little success with it. I've been told that the reason is because your suppose to run 2x. I really do like the firepower of a SR but with their 12 armor it makes it easier to pop than I'd like. Has anyone played with Stormravens a lot that has advice with these tactics? I would still be able to play all my RBs and keep my "deathstar" units in my SR. As far as Death Co which will probably be my choice for deathstar units I could go 12" move, 2" deploy, run, 6" assault. That's almost a guaranteed assault on my first turn every game. Not to mention the vehicle will be able to fire 2x weapons at TL. Sexy. Thoughts?

-Dreadnoughts for BA can be literally spammed and are very tough buggers to kill. Since most BA mech lists have no Elite slots filled at all has anyone thought of 3x Drop Podded Furiosos. Ofcourse these will be popping tanks and flaming people turn 1 which will be a huge threat in any army. At 165 pts each (Flamer + Pod) it will cost 495 pts to pull this off. I believe you will have a great return on your pts and not to mention DC Blood Talon dreads will also make short work of any nid/orc/horde type army. Another note is most fire and assault will be directed to the dreads, and if they survive they get to assault at str 10 (furioso) or 6 (dc dread) their next turn. Scary.

What has everyone else experience been playing BA Mech? How have you coped with high AV vehicles, hordes, and keeping your opponents off your vehicles and on other threats? What are your experiences with TL Auto Dreds vs Preds? Stormravens? Deathstar units in BA Mech?

1500 pt List 1:
-----------
Mephiston Lord of Death

Assault Squad
Sgt: Hand Flamer
Meltagun
Transport: Razorback
TL Assault Cannons

Assault Squad
Sgt: Hand Flamer
Meltagun
Transport: Razorback